• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Services (power issues, debugging, etc)

I was unaware of this app. I have both a Nexus 6 (Verizon) and a Nexus 7 (2013 wifi). On my N6 it shows up as a downloaded app although I can't remove it, only disable it, which indicates it is a built in app, or remove the updates. It is the current version C.1.5.3. On my N7 it is not listed as a downloaded app. It is an old version, A.1.0.1. There is no button to uninstall updates so it is apparently the original version. Don't know why it has never been updated.

The funny thing is, at work I have a heck of a time keeping the N6 connected to the wireless. The N7 is rock solid. I don't think I've ever had it drop the wireless. Wireless at other locations (home, etc) is fine on both. Of course, it could be the lousy wireless they have at work.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that's still having trouble with the gall blarsted, memo fragging, Google Play Services battery drain bug?

I had gotten it to go away but it's been creeping back up since the last "monthly software patch" that went out OTA like 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was so bad and today is starting so bad I just had to ask if anyone else had this happening and if anyone knew of an iron clad way to stop it.

Yesterday I got about 6 hours out of my phone before it was down to 20% - google play services used 22% of my battery. TWENTY TWO FREAKING PERCENT????

One of the options I saw online said that there's a new .APK for google play services - newer version than I have - 8.1.15 (2250156-230) but I have never been able to find it for download and it certainly isn't on the play store, nor has there been any OTA's since the one that screwed me up.

Sooooooooo any ideas?

Upvote 0
I've got play services 8.1.15 too and haven't had any battery problems, so I'm not so sure that's the issue.

When you tap on Google Services under the battery monitor what does yours say?

CZOLc-CnfefXQDh4xD1gPOC9NwkZW2phVPGz4jsaLmJOL2VC_bxrzXzd-fXk9BeLEgJRzd8hoK5aF-YyLIYs0qNFYQ7NtilFY4FgSmW1OqFemB4XELfEJj8JI6Zyt63dewmEXi_NTEJUmBOWwQJm4hTsmrwl2dffF_n1Pyb-M7I7j9xAQiK4aBCCTXnkDGnUwK3q0DiuH5fEvsc8BUBf6PsBMkBySTjx5LFzTWB8i7t_KxkF7QPliJ6iqpHvE2svh2UlQA7AiBKQ9uCYzRjqg-mzdlTxBqJXINpyh6xwHNbx8fi-QPNIbeM143bXRv-ekcnvANMh_loT3uscFA3rLwq4KyeEyFm84S3biTY1m0pp0qL2oiesyDUhrIZfKdIkuZZD0BYOZjvdny1m_4mtE3Z1hZwNKQ5HPnBtTIJ1QpVzE9DSgkAV53Kpu-b1Z2mDpNa9Iy9xLSEe7w3b3yprTpOfWb47uqZHVO-DEq2DzNwF2RMrAy3sNAuMgaujxKG5XuqZZyZVpiX4DE2rszq-s6QMvAb4lWCceE79Gx94ODw=w457-h812-no

Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
How often do you usually reboot your phone?
I do get the play services battery drain every now and then (usually after an update to the play services - though not always). When that happens, I restart the phone and the problem goes away.

The only thing that I do to save battery life is keep location at battery saving. In the past, I've noticed that keeping high accuracy location enabled caused Google Play Services to often go crazy.

Edit: You may be able to find the play services apk on apkmirror.com - just be careful about which version you download. Read the variants section at http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...lipop-devices-and-more-apk-teardown-download/

Upvote 0
How often do you usually reboot your phone?
I do get the play services battery drain every now and then (usually after an update to the play services - though not always). When that happens, I restart the phone and the problem goes away.

The only thing that I do to save battery life is keep location at battery saving. In the past, I've noticed that keeping high accuracy location enabled caused Google Play Services to often go crazy.

Edit: You may be able to find the play services apk on apkmirror.com - just be careful about which version you download. Read the variants section at http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...lipop-devices-and-more-apk-teardown-download/

Yes I have re-booted a few times under different circumstances as well as trying the removal of some apps that might have been offenders, neither has had an effect. I have had to turn off location all together or I have to re-charge after lunch.

When I fixed it the first time I had to uninstall google play services, then did a factory re-set and had to re set up the whole phone (and my Moto 360) which honestly is kind of a pain in the gall darned asteroid. That said, I will do it again if I have no alternative. I do have a Saturday staring me in the face, so I'll have time to screw with it just would prefer not to.

Also I have yet to find a version of google play services that's newer than what I have. I have mearly heard rumors that that's the fix the "mysterious new APK".

It's keeping your mobile radio on all the time by the looks of it, which will suck power like towing a motorhome with a Honda civic. Now we just have to figure out why.

I am off wifi at work (steel warehouse re made into a crappy little office) though it's not been an issue before (at least not consistently) could it be that it's struggling for signal?

Upvote 0
I could see that for wifi or for "System", but Play Services makes me think it's continually talking to the Play Store. Do you have an app update pending that keeps downloading over and over again?

I just went into the play store and I have V02 V03 and V08 watch faces that I believe I updated this morning and they were back up for "needing update". Now that may be the problem today but I have not seen this (multiple requests for update in the same day for the same apps previously.) And honestly I couldn't swear in a court of law that these updated earlier today, not beyond a shadow of reasonable doubt.

Upvote 0
I've seen people complain about this who use certain watch faces, so perhaps there's something there..

I have uninstalled all of my app store watch faces and popped it on to charge. (I have not used any of the ones I downloaded - much anyway) I mostly use a watchmaker face, I did leave watchmaker and facer on there but did go to a stock moto 360 face (to test) and once it's back to 100% I'll check battery stats and see if it helped.

EDIT:

:oops: well that seems to have fixed it. It was one of the watch faces. Now I just have to figure out which one. - can we mark this one as solved?

Upvote 0
Shalemail:

I have the same problem. Which watchface is the booger? I have a LG Watch Urbane. Over time, I accumulated lots of free and paid watchfaces. Now, my N6 can't make it through the day.

I can't say for sure. I can say my preferred face (a watchmaker) is fine and it provides weather battery stats for phone and watch moon phase WiFi the works and I get no drain at all. My guess is it's either the "VO" faces or pujie or bits.

That's just a guess based on when I installed them vs when the drain started again vs the play store requetsthe day I cleaned out all my downloaded faces. Best bet is to delete one by one till you find the culprit. I just deleted what I didn't use anyway.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
The plot thickens.

I thought I was good. However I am not. Now I have Android OS killing my battery, I lost Google Now (it says no network check your connections) yet I have connection and can surf the net use email twitter whatever, and I lost my always listening "ok google" - I can no longer select it. I have tried everything short of a factory re-set, but I guess I will be trying that tonight.

How is it I can have zero issues with it until now and since the last "security update" it's been a total pain in my butt.

Is there a good version of Marshmallow available yet (one stable enough to use as a daily until the OTA?)

Upvote 0
Well I jacked around with it for an hour last night and did get my google now and my "ok google" always listening back. I am wearing a normal watch today and have BT and WiFi off. I will see how I do on battery today and go from there.

Near as I can tell the issue with google now (and ok google) and the no connection message were all part of the same thing. I had WiFi off yesterday but it looks like the phone kept it on in the background, on my battery stats it showed WiFi on all day when it was in fact off in the manual settings. I did a hard re-boot (twice) once before charging and once again after it was fully charged. I turned everything off prior to the second re-boot. Once it came back up I turned Wifi and BT and mobile data back on. When I went to google now, it allowed me to restart it and viola it's back. Same with the option to turn my always listening back on.

Upvote 0
How is it I can have zero issues with it until now and since the last "security update" it's been a total pain in my butt.

I've been having problems, too. Failure to connect to remembered WiFi networks and most annoyingly dropping the Bluetooth connection in my car during calls. A reboot usually fixes it temporarily but I am not rebooting every time i get in my car.

Before the last OTA, it was rock solid. I would also point out that this is the first OTA that I've accepted. The last time i updated using the factory image for 5.1.1, i never rooted or replaced recovery so i could take the OTA. I think my days of OTA's are done and it's strictly a factory image flash from this point forward. :mad:

Upvote 0
I've been having problems, too. Failure to connect to remembered WiFi networks and most annoyingly dropping the Bluetooth connection in my car during calls. A reboot usually fixes it temporarily but I am not rebooting every time i get in my car.

Before the last OTA, it was rock solid. I would also point out that this is the first OTA that I've accepted. The last time i updated using the factory image for 5.1.1, i never rooted or replaced recovery so i could take the OTA. I think my days of OTA's are done and it's strictly a factory image flash from this point forward. :mad:

Well not to sound like a noob but don't the OTA's install the factory images? In the code is there a difference? Why would the OTA make a difference compared to flashing the image? Color me lost. Besides since the stagefright mess the "monthly security fixes" come out OTA. (Which this last one happened to be) am I to assume these should be skipped even if it leaves my devise unprotected? Will these little patches be available to flash?

Upvote 0
I think the latest round of security OTA's are an anomaly. I would expect any future updates of this nature to be pushed out through play services as opposed to a true OTA.

OTA's have always been problematic, especially given the diversity of the Android ecosystem (not going to use the "Frag" word ... nope). In theory, they take existing components and replace them with newer versions and then update all the configurations and apps to work with the new stuff. Ideally what you end up with is the new system but old apps and settings. Then the old apps should detect the new system and update accordingly/automagically. Of course it doesn't work that way. There's always stuff left and if there were any modifications to the system that the OTA can't anticipate, then it's a clusterfluster waiting to happen. That's why most current OTA's perform a checksum verification on the system folder and if it doesn't match exactly, it will fail.

Anyway, OTA's tend to leave a lot of baggage around and that can interfere. If the phone has always been unrooted/stock, then a factory reset will fix it right up (Except in the case of Android 4.0>4.1 where Google completely changed the way volumes and partitions are mapped). If the device has been rooted and modified, the factory firmware is the best way to go.

Upvote 0
Well not to sound like a noob but don't the OTA's install the factory images? In the code is there a difference?
Think of it this way.

When you flash the factory image, it is basically replacing the entire system partition (and any other partition that you flash).
When you take an OTA, it is only replacing the modified files in the partition.

In theory, whether you flash the system partition, or take OTA, the end result should be the same. In practice however, as lunatic59 mentioned, OTAs occasionally cause issues.

I think the latest round of security OTA's are an anomaly. I would expect any future updates of this nature to be pushed out through play services as opposed to a true OTA.
I really hope that you are right about this. It would make life a whole lot easier for us rooted folks.
I must admit however, given how Samsung and other manufacturers recently stated that they'd provide these updates too, I suspect it won't be a play services update (because if it was a play services update, the carriers have nothing to do)

Again, I hope you are right :)

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones