• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cylemmulo

Oct 12, 2012
Anyone else have gps trouble at all with this? Earlier I was on the road trying to get a signal and it sat there for over a minute trying to get satellites and failing to do so.

I got home and a bit later tried while standing in my yard and it did slowly after about 15 seconds. My other phones seemed to like immediately grab gps within a couple seconds no matter what.

anyone else have any trouble or suggestions.

My gps has always been weak and it has gotten weaker up to now and it is no longer working at all. I installed two gps apps, GPS Test and GPS Status. I used their maintenance features with no improvement. I removed the battery for a minute and no improvement. I took it to my local Verizon corporate store and they knew nothing about GPS. They kept telling me that I had to have data on and Verizon Location Services turned on. Of course this would then allow the phone to be located by cell towers but not via GPS. After convincing them that GPS can stand alone for phone location, they simply offered to replace my phone for free under warranty terms. It will arrive in a few days. I think they told me that there is a one year replacement warranty and I am within that period. The replacement phone will have a 90 day warranty or the period remaining on my initial year, whichever is greater.

I researched online and found that this is a problem with this phone and then, if all else fails, to get a replacement. I have not tried a factory reset but will just before I return it when I get the replacement. There was a post saying that the GPS can be damaged by a physical impact, say by dropping it.

To make configuring my new phone a little easier, I installed ShareMyApp which presents a list of the installed apps. I plan to print it out and use it remind me of my favorite apps on my trade-in phone.

This phone can be used as a gps navigation device either with data on with say Google Navigation or data off with a gps app and downloaded maps. Right now I am using the MapFactor Navigator app and have downloaded the OpenStreetsMaps for all of the USA. The maps are downloaded after installing the gps app and via the gps app. Note that this app is one of the few that has an Exit button which is necessary to turn it off or it will keep talking and talking.

Google Navigation requires data to be on because the maps are online and not downloaded. The MapFactor app and the OpenStreetsMaps are both free, i.e. your phone can be your gps navigator at no additional charge including no data charge. This of course means that it will work where there is no celphone signal, say for hiking in remote areas with no cell coverage. I like this enough to be going through the work of configuring a replacement phone.

This would be a lot easier if the apps could be transferred to my memory card but this phone does not allow that as did my former HTC phone. With the HTC one could move the apps to the sd memory card and then move the card to a new phone but not with the Lucid 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones