• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gtalk sign in issue

I"ve noticed that trying to sign in to GTalk over 3G is nearly impossible...apparently one needs to be signed in to download apps from the market...but when I switch over to Wi-Fi I can connect instantly. Is this a Sprint/Google issue? I've found untold amounts of issues on forums regarding the inability to download apps from the market unless signed in to GTalk...it just seems to be a pain in the ass to want to download an app but first you have to find a Wi-Fi hotspot to sign in to do so. Think this will ever be resolved?

I'm not having any 3G connectivity issues except when logging into GTalk. From what I've read on the web Gtalk is required to download apps from the market....though I don't know why. Here's the scenario...I go to market, find an app and hit download. Stays on download but no download so i cancel. I then go to Gtalk, sign in, go back to market and download app and all is well. I've done this a thousand times and unless I'm signed into Gtalk...no downloads. The only problem with 3g connectivity is if I'm trying to sign in to GTalk over the network, usually takes several trys. Connects instantly over Wi-Fi. I'm at a loss.......it never used to be this way.

Upvote 0
I have never had gtalk active on my phone...and now it isnt even on the phone....and have no issues. Definitely a strange issue.
I'm not having any 3G connectivity issues except when logging into GTalk. From what I've read on the web Gtalk is required to download apps from the market....though I don't know why. Here's the scenario...I go to market, find an app and hit download. Stays on download but no download so i cancel. I then go to Gtalk, sign in, go back to market and download app and all is well. I've done this a thousand times and unless I'm signed into Gtalk...no downloads. The only problem with 3g connectivity is if I'm trying to sign in to GTalk over the network, usually takes several trys. Connects instantly over Wi-Fi. I'm at a loss.......it never used to be this way.

Upvote 0
I think you're correct about Gtalk not being associated with the market, I was able to download an app without signing in, I have noticed that when first turning the phone on in the morning not all my apps are listed under downloaded in the market, that is until I download something and then they all appear again...strange, guess I'll have to live with this glitch.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem on my new HTC Evo 4G.

My theory is that Gtalk is probably not required to be logged in so that you an access the Market however there's probably some type of secured or other login that Gtalk signals is available.

The problem seems to be especially pronounced when 4G is turned on however I'm going to do some additional testing within my 30 day return period.

This is the first Android phone that I've seen this issue with and I'm guessing it's related to 4G (which is live in my town yet not official yet) and/or switching between 3G and 4G.

Strangely I'm able to get new emails, browse the web all the while that my Gtalk won't log in.

Upvote 0
There is a ton of information/speculation going on around this issue. I and many others have experienced this issue. I currently have no ability to download apps or sign into google talk over wifi. Once I switch to 3G I have to do the same dance. Start a download, watch it hang; cancel download, sign into gtalk, go back to market and restart download, no problems.

From what I have read, those of us who updated to the latest version of Market or flashed a ROM with the updated Market are having the most problems.

I have tried clearing Market cache with sporadic results. The most consistent results have come from signing into Gtalk first and then trying to download.

Upvote 0
So far I find that when I'm logged in via WiFi that the phone performs "normally". If I'm on 4G in a low signal area then I tend to see Gtalk logging out. On 3G the performance seems to improve a little bit but several times yesterday even with 4G turned off and only using 3G I found Gtlalk logged out and got the "trying to connect" message.

Again, the problem isn't totally that Gtalk cannot connect -- unless of course you are a heavy Google Talk user.

The real issue is that the same mechanism (secured connection or Google authentication of some sort ?) that GTalk uses seems to also be used by Market.

So when GTalk hangs and cannot connect -- the Market will do so as well and anything you try downloading will be hung with the message "downloading..".

I believe this issue isn't more widely reported or noticed because most users keep the phone on WiFi in the office or home which (at least in my testing) seems to remove the problem.

Upvote 0
Solved my own problem. Cancelled Sprint. No two techs could provide much in the way of useful information.

Near as I can tell most of the issue resulted from having 4G turned on --- even if the EVO was not on the 4G network that seemed to have some impact on the phone's normal operations when trying to connect to GTalk or perform Market downloads.

If I turn WiFi on or 4G off the problem disappeared.

Tested in CT and in NYC with same results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones