• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] How to revert to Gingerbread from ICS (or go to ICS from GB)

ATmazzz, just wanted to say thank you for this thread. Went GB to ICS.

Had a bit of trouble as the upgrade stopped on "SYSTEM" for a half hour.

Thought I bricked it. It took a couple of reboots of PC and phone to get

the upgrade to finish, but all is good now. :D

Seems stable and I will comment on ICS further down the road.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
Thank you so much! I made the mistake of updating to Ice Cream Sandwich and had nothing but problems. The most annoying was the way the bluetooth stopped automatically connecting to the Sync in my car, plus the lock ups and slow performance. It is great having a fast reliable phone again. Next time there is an update, I will wait to see what kind of problems others have with it. Your guide was perfect!

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
I followed your procedure and ended up with the screen that says "Touch Andriod to Begin" then I get the "The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I also get the The application Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." After reading the thread, I saw that wiping data and clearing the cache should solve the problem. However, when I get into that screen, I can highlight Wipe Date and Clear Cache but when I press the "OK" button, nothing happens. I doesn't do anything. No error message, no reboot, nothing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I followed your procedure and ended up with the screen that says "Touch Andriod to Begin" then I get the "The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I also get the The application Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." After reading the thread, I saw that wiping data and clearing the cache should solve the problem. However, when I get into that screen, I can highlight Wipe Date and Clear Cache but when I press the "OK" button, nothing happens. I doesn't do anything. No error message, no reboot, nothing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums m0fugga :hello:

If the power button doesn't work to select something in recovery try your home button. Second button from the left on the bottom.

Upvote 0
Mines keep saying (process com.google.process.gapps) or others have stopped working. Any waqy you could help me?

Can you help me? When I try to open the phone it force closes every process it can. I really need help, it's not even my phone.

Hi Juli and welcome :hello:

You need to do this.

Power off your phone again. Hold both volume buttons and the power button at the same time. When the phone vibrates, let go of the power button but keep holding both volume buttons. In a few seconds you should be in the recovery menu. Use volume buttons to move up/down and power button to select. *if power button doesn't work, use your home key*. Go to wipe data/factory reset and select it. Next, select format cache partition. Now select reboot.

Upvote 0
Hello ,
I followed the steps, and it said failed at first. i have tried it again and it now says it neither failed nor succeeded. Whats my next step.

Hi Joli :hello: welcome to AF.

Make sure you have USB debugging checked. Reboot your computer and phone. Try a different port on your computer. Try a different cable or even a different computer if you can.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I followed all the steps and everything seemed to be going well. I aimed the pda to the file I downloaded, pressed start, it said it was writing but nothing was happening. There was no indication on my cpu that it was working. I moved the phone and lost the connection to cpu. I now get a message that says " Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again" Kies does not recognize my phone. I tried holding the volume up/down keys and power button in order to do a factory reset but keep getting the same message. Any idea what I should do next.

Kies tells me it can not connect and to reboot my device, I cant reboot.

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I followed all the steps and everything seemed to be going well. I aimed the pda to the file I downloaded, pressed start, it said it was writing but nothing was happening. There was no indication on my cpu that it was working. I moved the phone and lost the connection to cpu. I now get a message that says " Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again" Kies does not recognize my phone. I tried holding the volume up/down keys and power button in order to do a factory reset but keep getting the same message. Any idea what I should do next.

Kies tells me it can not connect and to reboot my device, I cant reboot.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forums AZTECDOG :ciao:

Follow this Guide and see if it will work for you.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response.

I am pretty sure I'm at the headache part of the process. I lost the connection with my cpu when ODIN said "NAND write start". When I hold volume up/down keys then plug in cable I get the to the part where I'm supposed to select up but when I release the down key the phones goes to the "Firmware encountered a problem..." screen. I can not get to the download option. Any ideas?

I did try what you suggested, no liuck.

Upvote 0
I get the to the part where I'm supposed to select up but when I release the down key

I'm confused about the down key part? When you plug in the cable and the screen comes up on your phone, you shouldn't be holding any buttons after that. You then press the up volume button once to get to the next screen. After that you don't press any buttons. You start the process in Odin. Is that what you are doing?

Upvote 0
When I push the volume up option I get the screen that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again", not the download screen. Kies does not connect to my phone now.

I have tried doing a factory rest as you have described in your earlier post. I get the same screen that says " Firmware upgrade has encountered a problem..."

Upvote 0
When I push the volume up option I get the screen that says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again",

Ok, when you get to that try Odin anyway and see if it will work. If not, then you will need to try Kies even if it doesn't see your phone. Go to Tools > Firmware Upgrade & Initialization. You will need the model number and serial for your phone. You will find it under the battery. Just follow the instructions. You can also try the Emergency Firmware Recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones