• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Guide to Rooting 2.2 for Windows and Linux

Follow the guide or use one of the apps that I linked. The apps are much easier honestly

Thanks OMJ . My Droid is back!
I have a question ...
I received a replacement Droid under warranty.
I have to return the old one now.
The old one's screen went out. Everything is still working, is rooted and running a custom Rom.
Should I return it like that or use Rsd lite to reflash an official non rooted 2.1 or 2.2 build.
As I said above the screen doesn't work but all else does.

Btw where can I get a non rooted build? Or a file that restores the stock recovery.

Thanks

Upvote 0
it might help someone else.
I had 2.1 on my droid (via OTA update) and installed the leaked 2.2 FRG22 via the instructions for 2.2 rooting w/ windows a couple of weeks ago.

I received my OTA update yesterday and had the annoying pop-ups and after reading the forums decided to "install" it to get rid of it.

The install was definitely blocked.
Anyways, i hope that helps.

On another note yesterday and today i am having battery drain issues. Coincidentally this occurred when i received the OTA update files. I didn't have any drain issues before then which i find pretty interesting.
If it continues to be a problem i'll research fixes and will post back here.

THanks for the help and excellent instructions !

Upvote 0
I may, but another wierd thing is happening - I allowed it to update per people's suggestion, and rebooted after. I was up and running with no OTA anymore - everything worked EXCEPT no Market access.

Any clue what caused that? It makes me want to try following the rooting guide with the stock FRG01b zip - would that work?

Upvote 0
I may, but another wierd thing is happening - I allowed it to update per people's suggestion, and rebooted after. I was up and running with no OTA anymore - everything worked EXCEPT no Market access.

Any clue what caused that? It makes me want to try following the rooting guide with the stock FRG01b zip - would that work?

I don't have market access either.
Im getting a network error has occurred....

Upvote 0
This will also work for going from stock 2.1 to Rooted 2.2

There are now two apps that can root 2.2 on the Droid as well as the method below

Universal Androot

Although this doesnt specifically list the Droid as a compatible device I have tested it and it works.
Can be found here
[APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.1) - xda-developers
or on the Devs site although its not in english
universalandroot ????

I am running a Droid 2 under
Build FRG01B
(flashed it myself a few weeks ago, not by OTA)

Can I run Universal Androot?Any caveats?
As always,

Huge thanks!

Upvote 0
I am running a Droid 2 under
Build FRG01B
(flashed it myself a few weeks ago, not by OTA)

Can I run Universal Androot?Any caveats?
As always,

Huge thanks!

No androot works well in my experience with it.

thank you so much for your AWSOME GOD LIKE guide to rooting the froyo ota install. IT SUCKS NOT BEING ROOTED NOW I JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW TO OVERCLOCK!!!!!!!!! any instructions for that??

There are instructions for installing a kernel in the guide to all thing root related sticky and after that its just setting the clock speeds with Setcpu

Reactions: stephejo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones