• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Guide to Rooting 2.2 for Windows and Linux

someone answer this please:

Okay, i pulled the battery again after reboot, pulled the SD and placed the update.zip on it. I go to allow update.zip, install and i get

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0(
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted.

battery is dead and my phone keeps rebooting

i'm getting FC's on the system

Upvote 0
someone answer this please:

Okay, i pulled the battery again after reboot, pulled the SD and placed the update.zip on it. I go to allow update.zip, install and i get

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0(
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted.

battery is dead and my phone keeps rebooting

i'm getting FC's on the system

probably your update.zip is either named wrong or not in the root of your sd card. Try naming it update instead of update.zip. Sometimes windows makes it look like its update.zip but its actually update.zip.zip

Some have also said that they had to reboot into recovery several times before the update would apply.

Upvote 0
probably your update.zip is either named wrong or not in the root of your sd card. Try naming it update instead of update.zip. Sometimes windows makes it look like its update.zip but its actually update.zip.zip

Some have also said that they had to reboot into recovery several times before the update would apply.

EDIT: CyanogenMod is installed. Thank you!!

Upvote 0

strange...ok pull your battery and reboot into recovery by holding x

Then go to backup and preform a simple backup.

After that is done press the power button to get back to the main recovery screen and press wipe data/factory reset. See if it will boot up after that and dont worry it will still be possible to save most of your data although its probably going to be a pain in the butt.

Upvote 0
Well it's been a few hours and nothing I've done will allow the phone to boot up. When I plug it in to charge the white side light still comes on but I get nothing on the screen. Luckily I've already got a new one shipped out from a warranty defect in my current device. That's the whole reason I tried rooting, because this phone is going in a few days anyways. However I'd still like to solve this issue if possible. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...update-motrola-droid-frg01b-update-1-2-a.html and get 2.2, then follow this guide to root 2.2.

Hope that helps (for real this time)

First of all - thanks for the guide - the updates and rooting worked perfectly for me.

I followed johngalts method that i've quoted above to go to stock 2.2 FRG01B and then rooted FRG22 as outlined and linked in the beginning of this thread. This morning I woke up to a system update weighing in at 76.9 MB. a few questions:
  • Is there a way to confirm that this is the FRG22 update (since i thought FRG01B was only ~50 MB)?
  • Has it been confirmed that the leaked FRG22 that i installed from this thread is the same one that's being rolled out by Verizon?
  • Finally, since I'm now upgraded and rooted, I don't think i'll want the system update...is there a way to suppress it?

Thanks for all your help!!

Upvote 0
Not sure if I am having a problem or not, my phone says:
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Installation aborted.

However, I have a yellow progress bar near the bottom of the screen that is about 1/4th of the way complete, it's been stuck at that point for a good amount of time. Did I do something wrong?

Upvote 0
Not sure if I am having a problem or not, my phone says:
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Installation aborted.

However, I have a yellow progress bar near the bottom of the screen that is about 1/4th of the way complete, it's been stuck at that point for a good amount of time. Did I do something wrong?

could be a couple of things. First it maybe named wrong. Because windows hides known file types you may have to name it update instead of update.zip.

Also some have just had try applying several times or just rebooting and applying several time for it to work

Reactions: jpengu
Upvote 0
Hi OMJ and thank you for all you have done, i have a question:
i have a moto droid and i am allready rooted following the step by step on here, heres what i got on the phone info
android ver : 2.2
baseband ver : c_01.43.01p
kernel ver : 2.6.32.9-p3droid
built number : frg22

but how come i did the rooting last night and today i being force by verizon to do the froyo 2.2 update 76.9 mb if i force this like a week ago (the manual update froyo 2.2) do you have any idea why is telling me this or should i do it? its telling me to do the update every 5-10 min its a lil annoying lol.

Upvote 0
Hi OMJ and thank you for all you have done, i have a question:
i have a moto droid and i am allready rooted following the step by step on here, heres what i got on the phone info
android ver : 2.2
baseband ver : c_01.43.01p
kernel ver : 2.6.32.9-p3droid
built number : frg22

but how come i did the rooting last night and today i being force by verizon to do the froyo 2.2 update 76.9 mb if i force this like a week ago (the manual update froyo 2.2) do you have any idea why is telling me this or should i do it? its telling me to do the update every 5-10 min its a lil annoying lol.

Its trying to get you to update because FRG22 is most likely not in the system yet. Just accept the update. The custom recovery will block the install. When you reboot you should be fine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones