• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Had Handcent, switched to chompSMS, back to Handcent

i left handcent for chomp after handcent wouldnt even let me know i got a text when i was in vibrate mode. no matter what i did, it wouldnt vibrate. i wish chomp would give me reminders saying i have a text like handcent, but i guess they cant be perfect. im using an eris by the way.

After the last update (version 2.0.1) to our Moto DROIDs we can now have unique settings for the ringer and notification tones. I just tested my DROID with the ringer set to vibrate, and using a widget, I was able to make an incoming text vibrate only, play ringtone only, or both. Unfortunately, I can't say whether or not your Eris can do this.

Upvote 0
I'm going to resurrect this one from the dead. i had been using handcent for a really long time. honestly for two reasons only...the pop-ups..and the ability to change the led notification for sms. but as some of you previously mentioned...i never EVER received any MMS's. i could send them just fine..but never received any. It's about 6 months worth of updates since this thread was alive and none of them seemed to work. Does anyone have any idea what the issue was?

Upvote 0
I'm going to resurrect this one from the dead. [snip] ...but as some of you previously mentioned...i never EVER received any MMS's. i could send them just fine..but never received any. It's about 6 months worth of updates since this thread was alive and none of them seemed to work. Does anyone have any idea what the issue was?

I've only had a few issues receiving MMS's ... and that's been loooooong ago.

Upvote 0
I had handscent and loved it...and i had it set where it wasn't bubbles i hate bubbles i just want the squares with the text in it. so the guy at verizon put chomp on and says oh well it only has bubbles..so we are back to handscent and NOW onlly bubbles..what the heck i just want it back the way it was.

the reason i even went to change was that the incoming text time was all screwy, not sure what that is about but my timestamp was fine but their's wasn't so their text would come back at me and place it up behind my texts at like 6-8 hours earlier.

i just want the handscent back..WITH no bubbles hate bubbles!!!

sheesh whats a droid girl to do!! lol

Upvote 0
I had handscent and loved it...and i had it set where it wasn't bubbles i hate bubbles i just want the squares with the text in it. so the guy at verizon put chomp on and says oh well it only has bubbles..so we are back to handscent and NOW onlly bubbles..what the heck i just want it back the way it was.

the reason i even went to change was that the incoming text time was all screwy, not sure what that is about but my timestamp was fine but their's wasn't so their text would come back at me and place it up behind my texts at like 6-8 hours earlier.

i just want the handscent back..WITH no bubbles hate bubbles!!!

sheesh whats a droid girl to do!! lol

To remove the bubbles go in to Handcent --> Settings --> Custom Style --> Bubble Settings --> Conversation Style. If you select Android your conversations will be displayed in Boxes instead of Bubbles.

Upvote 0
Is anyone getting duplicate SMS messages with this? I'm not sure if it's Handcent or Verizon or what, but I keep getting duplicate SMS messages from everyone. Sometimes I get up to 4 duplicate messages at the same time! Not just notifications.. actual messages.

Has anyone experienced this phenomena? It's quite annoying. I've disabled notifications in the stock MMS/SMS app and even totally deleted it from my phone (rooted).

Upvote 0
Is anyone getting duplicate SMS messages with this? I'm not sure if it's Handcent or Verizon or what, but I keep getting duplicate SMS messages from everyone. Sometimes I get up to 4 duplicate messages at the same time! Not just notifications.. actual messages.

Has anyone experienced this phenomena? It's quite annoying. I've disabled notifications in the stock MMS/SMS app and even totally deleted it from my phone (rooted).

what a conundrum...that would be MY suggestion...to disable the notifications on your stock app....but it sounds like there's something more :( sorry...silly verizon....

Upvote 0

I thought it was just me, but I received a couple of dups ever since doing the update.

Upvote 0
scrolling though my messages, I noticed an entire conversation was missing from Handcent. Even checked the wife's phone later to see if she had our conversation, nope. not there. Just as I thought I was going crazy, I checked the stock messaging app and there they were, all kinds of conversations that AREN'T in Handcent but are in messaging. Any ideas on that one?
Before you say uninstall/reinstall keep in mind the exact messages are missing from the wife's phone.

Upvote 0
hancent works fine for me. Only issue is it is hung up in my market place download. Won't complete update.

This can happen with any app. I usually just cancel the download and try again. If that doesn't work, try this: Cancel download, delete any files in the "download" folder on your sdcard, reboot, then try updating again. That usually works for me every time.

HTH

Reactions: x026092
Upvote 0
This can happen with any app. I usually just cancel the download and try again. If that doesn't work, try this: Cancel download, delete any files in the "download" folder on your sdcard, reboot, then try updating again. That usually works for me every time.

HTH

Sorry to go OT, but didn't you use to be a forum Guide or something like that? What happened..?

Upvote 0
Just as the title states, when the stock Messaging app wasn't cutting it, I installed Handcent. But it started flaking out on me, so I dumped it and went to the more-reliable chompSMS. I liked it a lot. But to be completely honest, I missed some of the features of Handcent. But reliability is Job 1, so I kept chompSMS for a few weeks.

<fast forward>

Then I heard that Handcent received a major update a few days ago, so I replaced chompSMS with Handcent. So far so good. I got all the features back, and I haven't had one single issue in days of texting. So if you're like me and you left Handcent for chompSMS, you may want to give the new version a spin.

LOL Did the same as you on an XperiaX8!
Exactly the same route! :D
N.

Upvote 0
Handsent has been great for me except for an issue over the weekend - a text came in , heard nothing (vacuuming) but neither the pop-up nor led indicator appeared. Hoping it was just a fluke, installed the update today!

You probably just need to stop vacuuming. At least, until they come up with an app for that. :D Frankly, I use a Roomba. ;)

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me, had Handcent and didnt really like it, then they did their first big update and i changed from Chomp SMS back to Handcent. I love that I can customize the LED per contact its fantastic!

I've been using Kik a ton lately since the complete overhaul of their system. It looks and works amazingly.

To conclude: Handcent > Chomp SMS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones