1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Handful of specific rooting questions.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Aerisyka, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Aerisyka

Aerisyka Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    Hi! I am brand new to Android and smartphones, having just purchased my first one. I

Advertisement

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Going to answer what I can here for you.

1 piece of advice is if you want to remove apps that came on your phone use Titanium Backup. There is an option to freeze an app instead of deleting it. I recommend freezing them until you are more familiar with what you are doing. Delete the wrong app and it can really mess some things up, I learned the hard way.

Aerisyka likes this.
  3. Aerisyka

Aerisyka Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    Thank you, that was really helpful! I ended up rooting to stock EL29 based on this video, and installing CWM. Have my eye on a couple different ROMs now that I have an idea of what I'm doing, but for now I'm enjoying playing around with my phone!

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Keep an eye on CM9 while you are watching ROMs. That is what I use and IMO once it is out of alpha it will be waaaaay better than any other ROM available (for me it is better now, but I am used to using alpha software with a few bugs). Pure Android ICS with just a few added tweaks!

5. Stumper

Stumper Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    Technical Trainer & Network Engineer
    Utah
    EL29 is the most recent version that has been pushed OTA by Sprint a d Samsung. If you push one of the stock modems/roms you can still receive the OTA updates and just have the root capabilities. There is tons to do and you will never stop if you are anything like me! Stick to the forums, ask questions and play with it before doing anything too drastic.

The ICS builds are flying out right now but all are still alpha or beta so with your experience I would wait for something more stable. My main roms are rujelus22's blue kuban and team nocturnals blend (EL29 version).

Take a loom at Tom toolbox it has ad blocking, system app uninstall and much more if you are going to be doing a lot. As others have said do some research on ODIN and have fun! Feel free to ask questions if you have them, that's why we are all here and apart of this amazing Android community!

6. astolenheart

astolenheart Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    i really like running on calkulins rom 2.9.2 with rogue 5.0 hitman kernel and with fc05 modem.... but i guess everyone has there own mix they like