1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Have we got a Monkey on our backs?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by db2, Jan 12, 2013.

1. db2

db2 Android Enthusiast
    None

/system/app/MonkeyScript.apk
    /system/app/MonkeyScript.odex

What are these? Did Kyocera goof and leave a development/testing app on the phone?

Advertisement

2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    Clueless here, Google search brought back nothing monkeyscript :thinking:

DS

3. db2

db2 Android Enthusiast
    None

Not quite true, the search results for "monkeyscript.apk" show this post. Most useful Google search EVAR.

If someone has a Rise or Hydro (if that has it too) to guineapig removing those files I'd sure like to know what happens. My phone is my daily driver though so I can't guineapig it like that.

4. jethr0_diggy

jethr0_diggy Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    can't we just pull the apps from /system/apps and deconstruct them with some kind of apk builder?

EDIT: when going into /system/apps and trying to install it from my phone, i notice the name changes to Debug Menu for Development, so its obviously some kind of development tool, more than likely a script that allows everyone to monitor cpu usage or track the cursor/touch location

haven't tried what i mentioned above yet, but its probably something from Android itself, or Kyocera

5. Kritter888

Kritter888 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2012
    Male
    Just a Small Pea
    Florida
  6. db2

db2 Android Enthusiast
    None

As part of learning a new trick this monkey decompiled MonkeyScript.apk and MonkeyScript.odex and just for kicks recompiled it to a deodexed apk too, and attached it to this reply.

Ook. Ook.

edit: Now all I need to do is learn Java/Dalvik to figure out what the hell any of it is, right? ;p

Attached Files:

7. db2

db2 Android Enthusiast
    None

This github repo is for that thing, I don't think it's related.

I don't know crap about Java, but looking at the baksmali'd source for MonkeyScript.odex it looks to my untrained and inexperienced eye like it is in fact the android Monkey put to practice.

In other words a stress test app the Kyocera devs were using and forgot to take out of the production build. OOPSIE.

edit: Their version of it anyway, the actual Monkey is a built-in Android binary that generates kind-of-random events to test apps with. This is it and it's supposed to be there. The Kyocera MonkeyScript is I think their version of a Monkey that tests the hardware and software as a whole, and it's definitely not a standard Android app.

8. db2

db2 Android Enthusiast
    None

Seems pretty clear that it is what I think it is. It should be safe to remove it. Who wants to find out the hard way? ;p

uploadfromtaptalk1358105303304.jpg

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Many phones have dialer codes that let you access hardware debug menus, not sure about yours. Just wondering out loud if this was included for that.

10. db2

db2 Android Enthusiast
    None

I don't think so, ##33284# brings up the debug menu but wants MSL which I don't have yet. ##3282# brings up the data menu where you can view but not edit without that MSL.

There's a code searcher thing in the market, "Secret Codes Revealer" is the name, that checks all the installed apks for USSD codes and it didn't show one for this MonkeyScript package.

edit: Unless you know what you're doing DO NOT execute any of the codes that app brings up. You could wipe all your data or possibly even brick your phone.

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
  12. db2

db2 Android Enthusiast
    None

Unfortunately that appears to be for a WinMo phone. I'll poke at it but not having one of those phones may be an issue.

The MSL/SPC apps in the market don't work, not any of them. There is no ril.MSL on the Rise which is what most of them read out.

For the hell of it I tried "getprop | MSL" in a terminal. Expected it not to work, wasn't disappointed.

EarlyMon likes this.
  13. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    I used MSL Reader on a VM phone once, but it was also an HTC Wildfire S, not this one.

Tags: