• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dalesponyrider

Jun 21, 2010
I bought a pair of Klipsch Si4 headphones just under a year ago on recommendations from Android forums. They have given up the ghost and Amazon have promised me a refund. I wondered if anyone here could give me a recommendation again as to what to replace them with as I am assuming things have moved on in two years.

Thanks in advance!

I bought a pair of Klipsch Si4 headphones just under a year ago on recommendations from Android forums. They have given up the ghost and Amazon have promised me a refund. I wondered if anyone here could give me a recommendation again as to what to replace them with as I am assuming things have moved on in two years.

Thanks in advance!

Imo, klipsch s4's are about the best for the money.

I actually take the unconventional route of mixing through ear buds instead of cans and the s4s are perfect for that as well as daily listening.

Upvote 0
My son has a set of Audio Technica ATHM50s and they sound awesome. Far better than my BT stereo headset; but then I'm not an audiophile. If you are, they are a pretty rockin' studio-grade monitor headset.

I've got the M30's that I will use in a blue moon to compare a mix that I'm having real trouble with and they are great cans for the money.

Upvote 0
A quick Google search shows me that quite a few people have had the same problem as me with the S4s. I have also read a few comments calling for an improvement in the cabling. Being a somewhat older woman who is not incredibly technically minded, I thought I would ask you friendly guys if you had any idea if the design was improved. I'm not sure where else to look!

Upvote 0
Cans - slang term for full-cup headphones.

sc_B000ULAP4U-01.jpg

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
A quick Google search shows me that quite a few people have had the same problem as me with the S4s. I have also read a few comments calling for an improvement in the cabling. Being a somewhat older woman who is not incredibly technically minded, I thought I would ask you friendly guys if you had any idea if the design was improved. I'm not sure where else to look!

I see what your saying. I've been using them for the past 2-3 years so when you say improved, I assume there is something that they have had to be improved from.

So Ive bought 2 pair in the past 3 years. White pair and a black pair. This is my description on them for the past 3 years Ive owned them. The cable is just fine. I wear mine every day at work for 9 hours a day. So it's safe to that I put about 50 hours through them a week. That's more than most people do a month. My mp3 player stays in my 5th pocket and I am working on the ground and bending over all day. Very active. Never once have I had an issue with the cable or with one side going out like I have with every other pair Ive ever owned. Most headphones I have tried last a minimum of 3 months. The end with develop a short and or one of the sides will go out. I expect this though being that I put them through hell at my work. So when I went 3 years with my Klipsch I knew that I had a well made product.

So I'm not sure what you use them for but as I've seen with other pairs that I've owned, I put headphones through about the most grinding test that they could possibly endure.

If your just a normal casual listener that doesn't have a music ear that picks up slight variations from the speaker that only trained ears can, than I would suggest the Phillips Marshmellows. They can be found at Wal Mart for about $20 and have amazing sound quality as well as a thick well built cable. The actual buds are also spongy and sit in the ear very very well which makes them very comfortable.

Hope this helps. If you want any more info please feel free to PM me and I'll help where I can. ;)

Reactions: dalesponyrider
Upvote 0
By the way fuzzy, are you a music composer of some sort or a DJ? Is mixing to do with one of those activities? And what are cans?

Guitar player of 18 years and within the past several years I have gotten heavily into engineering, producing and mixing/mastering. Mainly metal music as that's what I write personally but my taste doesn't stop anywhere. I love every type of music and dont discriminate. :D

Upvote 0
Thank you both. I will reorder the Klipsch ones then as I loved the sound through them. I listen to a range of music, from Classical, rock, folk, right through to my son's electronic stuff (Eskimo Twins). (I don't understand his music, I must admit, but very proud of him. Apparently it has a dark side to it Fuzzy and he has a liking for metal among other things!) I also like the call quality when hands free in the middle of windy, rainy field!

I really wanted to stay with the Klipsch as I like the quality of the sound but as I have Dales Ponies that live out I am out in all weathers, mucking out the field daily, feeding, riding etc. Also got a dog to walk and generally love being outside. Was worried that the Klipsch wouldn't stand up to the life but have a bit more confidence now.

Just got to see if my refund has come through now and I can get on and order. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
I just ordered these. Should arrive next week.
Amazon.com: Kinivo BTH220 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone - Supports Wireless Music Streaming and Hands-Free calling: Cell Phones & Accessories

My requirements are: wireless, doesn't suck (don't need pro audio but decent), microphone for answering calls (voice has to be good) and more than 4 hours of battery life. Based on the ratings and people's reviews on amazon, it seems to fit the bill. and at $30 bucks why not. Now I need something similar but with great audio and noise cancelling for use when I travel. That will cost a lot more than $30 though.

update: 11/12/12
Used these for a few days. They are fine and good value for the money. Sound is decent good, not spectacular as to be expected for a $30 BT headphone. Downside: cannot connect to more than 1 device at a time. I wanted it to be connected to my phone (in case of a call) and to my N7. This is not possible. The other downside is that it loses the signal from time to time which is annoying. I would say about once every 2 hours it would do that. Haven't tried taking calls with it yet. Fairly compact and very light.

Upvote 0
Thank you both. I will reorder the Klipsch ones then as I loved the sound through them. I listen to a range of music, from Classical, rock, folk, right through to my son's electronic stuff (Eskimo Twins). (I don't understand his music, I must admit, but very proud of him. Apparently it has a dark side to it Fuzzy and he has a liking for metal among other things!) I also like the call quality when hands free in the middle of windy, rainy field!

I really wanted to stay with the Klipsch as I like the quality of the sound but as I have Dales Ponies that live out I am out in all weathers, mucking out the field daily, feeding, riding etc. Also got a dog to walk and generally love being outside. Was worried that the Klipsch wouldn't stand up to the life but have a bit more confidence now.

Just got to see if my refund has come through now and I can get on and order. Thanks guys!

You really cant go wrong with them. A lot of people I've seen, complain about how they fit in their ear but then i see that they are wearing them wrong. lol. I love the fit of how I wear them and they stay out of my face and out of my way.

Good luck with your new Klipsch. ;)

Reactions: MattMrdck
Upvote 0
How on earth can you wear them wrong? They are labeled left and right! One thing that is puzzling me with my new pair, all the button press functions work apart from volume control. If I long press I get Google voice search instead of volume!

Wrong in that they sit in the ear a certain way. There's a difference between in ears and ear buds. In ears fit into the canal where as buds sit right inside the opening of the ear. People don't understand the concept of in ear headphones and how they work so they complain because they are not comfortable when in fact they are just wearing them wrong.

I actually figured out a way to wear them that I think, gets the most out of the headphone itself. I take the headphone and wrap it around the front of the ear, bring it up under the lobe and then set it in the ear. This way the headphone is actually facing backwards but because of the shape of the klipsch, you can position it into the canal much easier and it sits just right and doesn't move. Plus the cord stays out of your face this way and doesn't get in the way.

I've seen people complain alot about the fit and its always with in ears. They think they should fit like buds and that just isn't the case. You'd be surprised how many grown men I have to show how to wear them correctly before I record them. Lol. Their reaction after the fact can be very humorous at times. Lol

Upvote 0
How on earth can you wear them wrong? They are labeled left and right! One thing that is puzzling me with my new pair, all the button press functions work apart from volume control. If I long press I get Google voice search instead of volume!

You might see if any of the apps from a Play Store search for headset control will work. I think that you got the S4i (?? not sure, sorry), so maybe not, but maybe worth a shot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones