• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Heavy Stuck with my bionic!

RodHP

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
Hey peeps!! have been reading the forum for quite some time as an outsider and decided to register to get your support.

This is the current situation:

Got a Bionic as an extra phone which eventually, would turn into my primary phone. JB 4.1 stock VZW ROM.

• Took a shoot to Root the phone using the Ubuntu method... It worked fine.
  • CWM - Fine
  • Superuser, Safestrap and any other custom stuff you can think of.. Fine
  • Got CM10.1 (the stable version into my SD) I ran the backup first and i have the cdma_targa_9.8.2O-72_VZW-22_cfc.xml file at my pc. - Fine
This is where it gets odd.

I tried to install the CM10.1 ROM twice, first time, it didnt complete the process... cant remember the message on screen.

Second Time (In a row) I clicked to get it install again, it when through and got a message on screen saying

Hi RodHP welcome to AF. If o follow the steps in this thread it should get you going. I would use the full JB fxz to try and fix your bionic. Do you know how much your battery is charged because you can not charge it from a bootloop. If it is dead you will need to get a external battery charger or a moto factory cable(not the one that came with your phone it has to be order online).

http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...9-905-gb-6-7-246-ics-98-72-22-jb-rsdlite.html

Upvote 0
Hey OutOfPhase!!!

Thanks for your reply, I plugged the phone to the charger and it displays the battery icon loading, according to this... it is 100% charged.

Will download the full JB file as you suggested and will give it another try... according to the instructions I read on the thread you suggested, seems it might work!!

I shall return with an update!! )))

Upvote 0
Ages to come back... but in fact I was totally able to bring the phone to the original setup with the instructions you gave me that same day!!!

It took me some time to figure out how to make it work, it gave errors with 2 different ROMS, but then I googgled something about changing the XML file. Ultimately it worked fine!!

Been reading since then into how to open the bands of the phone and make it work in my Country... GSM, HSPA+ network.

I read Lars

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0
Hey Out of Phase. just came back seeking for more of your knowledge!
-------------------------------------------------
Sys Ver - 98.72.22.XT895.Verizon.en.US
Adroid - JB 4.1.0
Safestrap V3.11
Voodo OTA Rootkeeper V2.0.3
** CWM Recovery is handy as well.

Radiocomm (1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I) - Changed (Read the Bionic can do CMDA/4LTE and GSM/HSPA+ [IMAGE INTENSIVE] post around 10 times today.)

While moving into the *#*#4636*#*# to set preferred network type
I get this message: "Unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped.
Message pops up once and then the set up comes back to CDMA/LTE

It comes when I select, WCDMA Preferred, WCDMA Only, GSM Only,
I can choose, GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) AND LTE/CDMA/Evdo/GSM/WCDMA (Phone is not taking any signal yet)

According to my carrier's info: these are the bands they handle:

GPRS/EDGE 1900/900 MHz
WCDMA 1900 MHz
EVDO 800 MHz
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Read many things about how to pseudo fix the com.android.phone issue.
such as:

* Contact, message and voice mail data cleaning - didnt work.
* build prop - ro.telephony.default_network from 8 to 7

(phone its like this right now, and i haven't see phone recognizing a network (Sys Settings > About The Phone > Status > Network = Unknown and Network Type & Strength = No Service)

(when i changed it to 3 or 0, the phone came into the loop of the com.android.phone crap for ever... did a restore from my backup.)

* TBH_Band_Config - have not tried to run this ZIP yet...

##PROGRAM menu... i know how to get there, but dont know if i really need to change something more. right now im not even thinking about configuring the APN...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Goal --- turn the Bionic into a GSM/WCDMA device with Jellybean... IF JB is not possible... i guess i can take it down to ice cream or GB.

Custom Roms --- None so far, but i wouldnt mind using one if this will make the phone take GSM.

Do you think i might refer to another method on how to do this??
Can you pitch in Lars if all possible to see if he has any advice...

once again, your kind support is greatly appreciated.

Trully yours. Rod

Upvote 0
Hey Out of Phase. just came back seeking for more of your knowledge!
Sys Ver - 98.72.22.XT895.Verizon.en.US
Adroid - JB 4.1.0
Safestrap V3.11
Voodo OTA Rootkeeper V2.0.3
** CWM Recovery is handy as well.

Radiocomm (1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I) - Changed (Read the Bionic can do CMDA/4LTE and GSM/HSPA+ [IMAGE INTENSIVE] post around 10 times today.)

While moving into the *#*#4636*#*# to set preferred network type
I get this message: "Unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped.
Message pops up once and then the set up comes back to CDMA/LTE

It comes when I select, WCDMA Preferred, WCDMA Only, GSM Only,
I can choose, GSM/CDMA Auto (PRL) AND LTE/CDMA/Evdo/GSM/WCDMA (Phone is not taking any signal yet)

According to my carrier's info: these are the bands they handle:

GPRS/EDGE 1900/900 MHz
WCDMA 1900 MHz
EVDO 800 MHz
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Read many things about how to pseudo fix the com.android.phone issue.
such as:

* Contact, message and voice mail data cleaning - didnt work.
* build prop - ro.telephony.default_network from 8 to 7

(phone its like this right now, and i haven't see phone recognizing a network (Sys Settings > About The Phone > Status > Network = Unknown and Network Type & Strength = No Service)

(when i changed it to 3 or 0, the phone came into the loop of the com.android.phone crap for ever... did a restore from my backup.)

* TBH_Band_Config - have not tried to run this ZIP yet...

##PROGRAM menu... i know how to get there, but dont know if i really need to change something more. right now im not even thinking about configuring the APN...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Goal --- turn the Bionic into a GSM/WCDMA device with Jellybean... IF JB is not possible... i guess i can take it down to ice cream or GB.

Custom Roms --- None so far, but i wouldnt mind using one if this will make the phone take GSM.

Do you think i might refer to another method on how to do this??
Can you pitch in Lars if all possible to see if he has any advice...

once again, your kind support is greatly appreciated.

Trully yours. Rod

Changing radios is out of my expertise but I am going to pm Lars and see if he can pitch in.

Upvote 0
OutOfPhase gave me a tickle. Assuming you are on a Moto ROM you can get GSM going from ICS or JB. ICS is easier. JB requires a rooted phone to get things right. If you are comfortable changing system files and applying proper attributes so you don't bootloop you should be good. Otherwise watch out.

On JB you have to change the radio NVM with either radiocomm manually or flashing cellzealot's zip with CWM. You need to replace the build.prop and apply proper attributes. Then freeze a couple apks to prevent the phone process from crashing. Wipe the phone from fastboot and the tough stuff is done.

From there you may need to set Global mode in the hidden menus and add an apn if you are using an unusual carrier.

This is a good thread where we worked out the bugs for the different ROMs. I passed my Bionic along to an employee of mine so I'm a bit behind but it was a pretty good GSM phone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1297714&page=116

The Razr HD can also be made to run on ATT in the US which is a hoot but I prefer VZW call quality.

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones