• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help: Eris Chinese input problem

longxx

Lurker
Nov 29, 2009
Hi all

Two things first:

1. I understand this is not for everyone, but for for us Chinese users, this is very important.

2. I am not random electronic noob, I spent good amount of time tried to solving this online. Please do not tell me "go download the Chinese input App"

I downloaded two trusted Chinese input App from Marketplace. One by Google (Google Pinyin) another one by Sogou, both make very good chinese input programs for PC. The reviews from both apps are positive, however after I installed them on my Droid Eris, I just do not know how to get them to work.

I do not see a way to active the chinese input, (Yes I enabled them under "Settings"-->"Local/Language")

For one of them it says it works for Android 1.5 or above, I believe Eris is Android 1.5 right?

My question is: Could it be because HTC modified the Android system which caused the uncompatability issue? if so, anyway to fix?
Also, does the "Market" have same Apps pool with other Android devices? so the positive reviews could be from non-Eris users

Thanks for your time.

I have the same question; would someone who solved the problem please help?

I got my Eris yesterday for $99.99 yesterday before $100 mail-in rebate; and today I found out that I could get this same thing for only $9.99. I called the customer service and they said they do NOT match the online prices. ToT. So disappointed that I decide to return the phone and discontinue my new contract.
still didnt solve it.... tried to changing scene and reboot the phone few times

*bump*!

Upvote 0
After you download and install Google Pin Ying or any Chinese input application, you need to press and hold the message box long enough. Then you will see a popup window which allow you to switch between the input methods. Good luck.
Hi all

Two things first:

1. I understand this is not for everyone, but for for us Chinese users, this is very important.

2. I am not random electronic noob, I spent good amount of time tried to solving this online. Please do not tell me "go download the Chinese input App"

I downloaded two trusted Chinese input App from Marketplace. One by Google (Google Pinyin) another one by Sogou, both make very good chinese input programs for PC. The reviews from both apps are positive, however after I installed them on my Droid Eris, I just do not know how to get them to work.

I do not see a way to active the chinese input, (Yes I enabled them under "Settings"-->"Local/Language")

For one of them it says it works for Android 1.5 or above, I believe Eris is Android 1.5 right?

My question is: Could it be because HTC modified the Android system which caused the uncompatability issue? if so, anyway to fix?
Also, does the "Market" have same Apps pool with other Android devices? so the positive reviews could be from non-Eris users

Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
Hi. I just went through this same process and was ready to pull my hair out. Downloaded several Chinese input apps. Downloaded fine, but wouldn't "launch" like other apps. Couldn't find any discussion of the problem online in English (just learning Chinese). And no matter how many times I read "you need to press and hold the message box long enough -- then you will see a popup window which allow you to switch between the input methods," I kept getting stuck at the idea that that would be the NEXT step after I opened the app. But you don't need to. Just install and start typing. Hope this helps the next person.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones