• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me move to Android

izyforreal

Lurker
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, here's the deal. I'm currently on WinMo 6.5 and like it. I'm using a Touch Pro2 on Sprint and I'm pretty happy with it, but the T-Mobile HD2 and the upcoming Sprint Evo both have my interest. Can anyone OBJECTIVELY tell me why I should go with the Evo over the HD2 considering the following issues I have?

1. I must have voice dialing over BT. (MSVC) I've heard that this doesn't work on Android.
2. I must have PPTP and IPSEC VPN capability.
3. To go with the VPN, I must have a good RDP client, preferably with zoom capability.
4. I'd LIKE to have a check register program to sync with MS Money or Quicken.
5. I'd like a FREE turn-by-turn navigation program. Tell me why there's so much fuss over Google Maps? I get spoken turn-by-turn directions from Sprint Navigation.
6. Is there a Bing client for Android? I really like speaking my search into Bing. Is there something like this for Android?
7. Exchange synchronization is a MUST. Will I get all my e-mail folders, plus contacts and calendar?
8. I use my TP2 as a wi-fi router for free on the Sprint network. Is this capability available in Android?

That's about it. These are my requirements. I'm not looking for flames or fanboys, but real, objective answers. Thanks very much.

1. I must have voice dialing over BT. (MSVC) I've heard that this doesn't work on Android.
2. I must have PPTP and IPSEC VPN capability.
3. To go with the VPN, I must have a good RDP client, preferably with zoom capability.
4. I'd LIKE to have a check register program to sync with MS Money or Quicken.
5. I'd like a FREE turn-by-turn navigation program. Tell me why there's so much fuss over Google Maps? I get spoken turn-by-turn directions from Sprint Navigation.
6. Is there a Bing client for Android? I really like speaking my search into Bing. Is there something like this for Android?
7. Exchange synchronization is a MUST. Will I get all my e-mail folders, plus contacts and calendar?
8. I use my TP2 as a wi-fi router for free on the Sprint network. Is this capability available in Android?

1. This is a big issue with Android at the moment. For some reason, it has not been fully implemented yet.
2. Android 2.1 does have VPN with those features.
3. There is a RDP client, but I have no idea how good it is since I don't have any use for it.
4. I haven't a clue.
5. Android 2.1 has free turn by turn navigation built-in which uses Google Maps and has speech.
6. I don't think there is any Bing capability. There is speech search with Google though (obviously).
7. I don't know how well exchange works with Android, but I know its supported.
8. If you root your phone, there are free apps on the market that allow you to do this.

Hopefully I did what I can to answer your questions. And good luck making the right choice for your needs.

Reactions: ewingr
Upvote 0
On the voice capability for dial, that seems a glaring functionality to be missing. May prevent me from moving to Android. I may check to see if I can push a Windows rom onto it until that functionality is there.

RE: Bing...I could be wrong, but I presume you could get similar functionality via IE. The Google search stuff is very good. But I too like Bing, where it gives catetory lists to use for specific searchs. But not having that wouldn't be a show stopper for me.

Something else I've wondered about is Word and Excel capability. I presume it ties in some way to the Google Docs in order to read or create that type of file, correct?

On the navigation, the one thing I would prefer to have is an app that puts the databses on the device, like TomTom or Garmin (and several others) do. Expecting to have constant access to data, especially on a trip, I think will leave a person in a lurch if the specifically rely on navigation.

Thanks Demache, for you input.

Upvote 0
you can tether verizon's Incredible for data use, but I don't know about other carriers. it of course costs extra though.

I have voice dialing on my Incredible.

There is Quick office for your office needs (word, powerpoint, excel, etc)

I've seen a free app for bing in the marketplace.

if you scroll down on the page I've linked (Google Maps for mobile) you will see what devices support some or all of google maps mobile features

Yes exchange is supported but I cannot offer any help on this since I do not use it.

Upvote 0
I'd like a FREE turn-by-turn navigation program. Tell me why there's so much fuss over Google Maps? I get spoken turn-by-turn directions from Sprint Navigation.
Google Maps Navigation is free and is still in beta but in my experience it works really well. That said, I've used GPS nav apps on other smartphones with much better feature sets. Try a supported device for yourself and see what the fuss is first hand. Granted, you probably won't be able to take it out for a spin...

Exchange synchronization is a MUST. Will I get all my e-mail folders, plus contacts and calendar?
Can't speak for the Evo. Droid has a built-in client but for various reason I preferred Touchdown.

1. This is a big issue with Android at the moment. For some reason, it has not been fully implemented yet.
Some devices do if the manufacturer has added the functionality but the list is extremely short IIRC. You can use a BT device with built-in voice dial though.

RE: Bing...I could be wrong, but I presume you could get similar functionality via IE.
IE's out for Android? :thinking:

Something else I've wondered about is Word and Excel capability. I presume it ties in some way to the Google Docs in order to read or create that type of file, correct?
Quickoffice on the Droid. Not sure about other Android devices.

On the navigation, the one thing I would prefer to have is an app that puts the databses on the device, like TomTom or Garmin (and several others) do. Expecting to have constant access to data, especially on a trip, I think will leave a person in a lurch if the specifically rely on navigation.
I've never had problems and have logged thousands of miles on Telenav -- not on Android but Telenav pulls map data OTA. Of course, YMMV. If you want a GPS nav app that uses locally stored maps then by all means get one. CoPilot Live is one option for Android.

Upvote 0
you can tether verizon's Incredible for data use, but I don't know about other carriers. it of course costs extra though.

Well Im happy to be on o2 in Germany then... they dont charge extra for tethering capability here. I didnt know some providers would do that o_O

So it IS actually possible with (unrooted) Android to tether internet connection via Wifi?
(i.e. the Android phone acts as a WLAN access point?)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones