• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP! My battery is making my life a nightmare!

txmdrums

Aug 8, 2010
So around 6 months ago, I bought a Seidio 3500 mhz extension battery for my Droid Eris. All was fine and dandy until recently.

Currently, my extension battery is not lasting any longer than the standard battery. Both batteries are lasting less than 6 hours currently. My phone has already gotten below 30% two times today (between 7 am - 7 pm) and it shows no signs of improvement.

When I look at battery use, it shows that my cell standby is using 44% of the battery and that my time without signal is 59%. I know this is impossible because through my own use, I'm never unable to send texts or make calls. My phone always shows that it has signal.

I've tried all the battery improving tricks and nothing has really made an impact. I'm living on a college campus, where wifi is present everywhere I go (and only taking up 11% of my battery), so turning off data really can't help much.

I'm running xtrROM 4.6.5 and I'm underclocking at 19Mhz. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

It sounds like you might benefit by starting over with all syncing apps/widgets. I'd remove every single one of them, including weather, facebook etc, then reboot and reinstall one at a time.

Google Navigation can go berzerk, as can Weather Bug.

It takes time. But can pay off.

Users post about many different apps which have been discovered to be a big resource drain.

Upvote 0
Your best best it going completely back to basics and working your way up. Wipe your phone and re install the rom of your choice, then only install apps that are crucial to you. Then see how your battery does. You could even go as far back as go back to stock 2.1 and work your way back up. I haven't really played with an Eris in awhile but if the recovery is like the Xs and you can wipe battery stats, do that before going back to Xtr.

Upvote 0
First of all, xtrROM also suffers from the 50% signal bug, so after restarting the phone, I would put it into airplane mode, wait a count of 10 or so, and then take it back out of airplane mode. That should take care of the misreporting of the time without signal.

Second, it may be that your battery stats are out of whack. With the extended battery in, plug it in and let it charge fully (to a green LED), then (with the phone still powered) restart in recovery, go to the wipe menu, and wipe battery stats. Restart the phone, and, as soon as everything is restarted, take the phone off power, do the airplane mode trick, and see if you get better battery results.

Upvote 0
does the 50% bug plauge other 2.1 roms?

I believe that it is just a reporting issue - it is not actually draining the battery - but I think that all of the HTC based builds based off of the Eris stock install has this problem - xtrROM, xtrSENSE. Maybe Tainted Tenzo as well. I think that xtrRCMix does not, however - though I could be wrong about that.

As I recall, Cyanogen ELB did not have the 50% bug.

Upvote 0
Another thing that you may want to check is your market and the downloads. It seems to be on my Eris since the new market came out that alot of apps are not finishing installs. I just noticed on mine that Tweetdeck was showing installing in my market. I hit to update that yesterday afternoon and forgot about it. It was still stuck now trying to finish the install. I clicked on it in the market and it finished the install quickly. My battery seemed to be going down quickly and I think that may have been why..

Just a thought..

Upvote 0
Of course, one other thing to look at for rapid battery use is a stuck Google sync. If you go to settings->accounts & sync, tap on the Google account, and see one (or more) of the items constantly syncing, that can steal battery. If you do see that one of us can let you know how to fix it.

However, since you say that the performance of the 3500 matches the stock battery, I still think that wiping battery stats may help.

Upvote 0
If your phone has a weak cell signal it can be a real battery drain.
At work the Verizon signal is weak, so when my phone is on my desk many times it goes from 0 bars to 1 and back and forth, and even to no signal quite often. And the battery runs down much faster when I'm at work than when I'm home.

At home I have a solid 3 bars or sometimes down to 2, and I also have wifi. But I can go probably 2 days without charging at home, but about 8 hours at work and it's time to charge again.

The same is true for all my coworkers, who also have Verizon. Even the ones with dumbphones.

Upvote 0
As I recall, Cyanogen ELB did not have the 50% bug.

Nope. It doesn't. That was one of the things I was excited about when I upgraded to Froyo. :)

I should have been more clear. Cyanogen ELB and CELB Froyo, though similarly named, are two different ROMs, though both by Conap. Cyanogen ELB is an Eclair, CyanogenMod version 5 ROM; I believe that the latest version is 2.8.

[ROM]ErisLightningBolt 2.8 CM5.08 build( OC, JIT, Apps2sd, GPS, Stock MMS!!!)6/21/10 - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones