1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root HELP! My battery is making my life a nightmare!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by txmdrums, Feb 15, 2011.

1. txmdrums

txmdrums Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    So around 6 months ago, I bought a Seidio 3500 mhz extension battery for my Droid Eris. All was fine and dandy until recently.

Currently, my extension battery is not lasting any longer than the standard battery. Both batteries are lasting less than 6 hours currently. My phone has already gotten below 30% two times today (between 7 am - 7 pm) and it shows no signs of improvement.

When I look at battery use, it shows that my cell standby is using 44% of the battery and that my time without signal is 59%. I know this is impossible because through my own use, I'm never unable to send texts or make calls. My phone always shows that it has signal.

I've tried all the battery improving tricks and nothing has really made an impact. I'm living on a college campus, where wifi is present everywhere I go (and only taking up 11% of my battery), so turning off data really can't help much.

I'm running xtrROM 4.6.5 and I'm underclocking at 19Mhz. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

It sounds like you might benefit by starting over with all syncing apps/widgets. I'd remove every single one of them, including weather, facebook etc, then reboot and reinstall one at a time.

Google Navigation can go berzerk, as can Weather Bug.

It takes time. But can pay off.

Users post about many different apps which have been discovered to be a big resource drain.

3. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Android Expert
    None

Nov 30, 2009
    T-Mobile
    NJ
    Your best best it going completely back to basics and working your way up. Wipe your phone and re install the rom of your choice, then only install apps that are crucial to you. Then see how your battery does. You could even go as far back as go back to stock 2.1 and work your way back up. I haven't really played with an Eris in awhile but if the recovery is like the Xs and you can wipe battery stats, do that before going back to Xtr.

4. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    First of all, xtrROM also suffers from the 50% signal bug, so after restarting the phone, I would put it into airplane mode, wait a count of 10 or so, and then take it back out of airplane mode. That should take care of the misreporting of the time without signal.

Second, it may be that your battery stats are out of whack. With the extended battery in, plug it in and let it charge fully (to a green LED), then (with the phone still powered) restart in recovery, go to the wipe menu, and wipe battery stats. Restart the phone, and, as soon as everything is restarted, take the phone off power, do the airplane mode trick, and see if you get better battery results.

5. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    does the 50% bug plauge other 2.1 roms?

6. doogald

Jan 7, 2010
    I believe that it is just a reporting issue - it is not actually draining the battery - but I think that all of the HTC based builds based off of the Eris stock install has this problem - xtrROM, xtrSENSE. Maybe Tainted Tenzo as well. I think that xtrRCMix does not, however - though I could be wrong about that.

As I recall, Cyanogen ELB did not have the 50% bug.

7. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    Another thing that you may want to check is your market and the downloads. It seems to be on my Eris since the new market came out that alot of apps are not finishing installs. I just noticed on mine that Tweetdeck was showing installing in my market. I hit to update that yesterday afternoon and forgot about it. It was still stuck now trying to finish the install. I clicked on it in the market and it finished the install quickly. My battery seemed to be going down quickly and I think that may have been why..

Just a thought..

8. doogald

Jan 7, 2010
    Of course, one other thing to look at for rapid battery use is a stuck Google sync. If you go to settings->accounts & sync, tap on the Google account, and see one (or more) of the items constantly syncing, that can steal battery. If you do see that one of us can let you know how to fix it.

However, since you say that the performance of the 3500 matches the stock battery, I still think that wiping battery stats may help.

9. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

I vote for a stuck sync or download.

10. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I'm agreeing with a stuck sync also.
    However you stated that BOTH batteries are lasting less than 6 hours now. If both batteries are lasting roughly the same amount of time, then that would seem to imply a problem with your 3500 battery (assuming that Doogald's suggestion of wiping the battery stats doesn't solve the problem)

11. offanairplane

offanairplane Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    If your phone has a weak cell signal it can be a real battery drain.
    At work the Verizon signal is weak, so when my phone is on my desk many times it goes from 0 bars to 1 and back and forth, and even to no signal quite often. And the battery runs down much faster when I'm at work than when I'm home.

At home I have a solid 3 bars or sometimes down to 2, and I also have wifi. But I can go probably 2 days without charging at home, but about 8 hours at work and it's time to charge again.

The same is true for all my coworkers, who also have Verizon. Even the ones with dumbphones.

12. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Male
    Finance
    Utah
    Nope. It doesn't. That was one of the things I was excited about when I upgraded to Froyo. :)

13. doogald

Jan 7, 2010
    I should have been more clear. Cyanogen ELB and CELB Froyo, though similarly named, are two different ROMs, though both by Conap. Cyanogen ELB is an Eclair, CyanogenMod version 5 ROM; I believe that the latest version is 2.8.

[ROM]ErisLightningBolt 2.8 CM5.08 build( OC, JIT, Apps2sd, GPS, Stock MMS!!!)6/21/10 - xda-developers

14. paleodust

paleodust Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Male
    Finance
    Utah