• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help: Samsung Galaxy S2 won't connect to Kies

Hey Guys..

Please follow the below mentioned steps to overcome the issue of not been able to connect to Kies.

1. Remove your data cable from your computer.
2.Goto Settings > Application > Development.
3 . If USB Debugging is not selected , then select it and then again deselect it.
4. Now try to reconnect your device with your computer.

I have tried it as I was facing the similar issue. Now its working fine.

Omi

Upvote 0
My Galaxy S2 could not be detected on either Windows 7 or Odin.Had upgraded Android 2.3.4 after rooting.
Found the tips below on forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1317916

That finally did the job for me! Many thanks to Ashtwinks!

1. When the phone is upgraded to Android 2.3.4 and above (mine is 2.3.6) Kies stops recognizing the phones and USB connection / Serial port connections etc get reset on the phone
2. Even if proper drivers are there on the laptop (mine is Windows 7 64bit) they are not recognized
3. Device Manager shows "unknown device"
4. Updating the driver also does not result in any help
5. solution lies in the phone
a. key in the dialer *#7284#
b. it has 4 option there..
UART (MODEM/PDA)
USB (MODEM/PDA)
c. For USB. select the PDA.if it already selected to PDA. reselect it by select MODEM and then PDA again.. Only change the USB setting.. andthen press back. try reconnect (thanks to napi1 @ androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/447145-sgs2-kies-not-syncing-os-2-3-5-a.html#post3484588)
6. The Laptop will start recognizing the required drivers and install them
also
Phone is not recognized by laptop when it is in USB debug mode, MyPhoneExplorer does not recognize when it is not in Debug mode

Thank you.
I report that this method also works for Mac (OS X Lion 10.7.3) and Kies 1.3.0 that was NOT connecting my Galaxy Note anymore with the latest firmware update LB1.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

After going through all of this thread and having none of the options work for Windows XP.

With regards to Windows XP I found that I had to install the Microsoft User Mode Driver Framework for WinXP to allow the driver to install properly which can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71641&/umdf.exe

Once I had install this I you need to force the driver to finish updating I did this through Device Manager and selecting Android MTP and selecting update driver.

Hope this help.

This information was found at
[Solved] MTP for WinXP - A service installation section in this INF is invalid - xda-developers

Regards,

Colin

Upvote 0
Instead of looking for complicated troubleshooting solutions, which takes alot of time and most part dont work, and lots of pains in the a**.....DO THIS (eureka, i discovered this because my battery was dieing, and phone went off):
-unplug your device USB cable
-Swith your PHONE off
-Swith your PHONE on
- Plug it back.

Works for me every time kies goes crazy, and also works no matter what windows version you got.

Reactions: Kozmyk
Upvote 0
Hi Guys, Im having the same problems as all of the above on my S2im on O2 in the U.K. Have been trying for hours to get it connected to Kies with no luck, the only message i keep getting is "This Device is not supported by Kies 2.0 Make sure that your device supported and try again". I have tried installing and reinstalling software and drivers, my phone connects to pc no problem using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I have never updated my phone from 2.3.3 and its the first time ive tried to connect Kies via usb, It connects to Kies air no problem but i have read updates cannot be done via wifi. Is this true and can anyone solve this pain of a problem for me:thinking:
Cheers for any help

EDIT! Decided to bite the bullet and flash with ics and odin,works great.

Upvote 0
Guys, I also had this problem after updating to 2.3.6. I tried all solutions, including reinstalling drivers, uninstalling drivers then setting UDB Debugging mode on and reinstalling drivers, running Kies in Administrator mode, running TwLauncher instead of 3rd party launcher, etc.

In the end, the solution which worked for me was... removing my microSD card.

Upvote 0
Instead of looking for complicated troubleshooting solutions, which takes alot of time and most part dont work, and lots of pains in the a**.....DO THIS (eureka, i discovered this because my battery was dieing, and phone went off):
-unplug your device USB cable
-Swith your PHONE off
-Swith your PHONE on
- Plug it back.

Works for me every time kies goes crazy, and also works no matter what windows version you got.

It worked, great. My galaxy s2 has been fine for the 6 months that i have owned it then suddenly this issue.

Oh, I also had to remove the battery to turn off properly.

Upvote 0
1. Turn on USB debug mode in my phone >settings>applications>development
2. Connect the phone to computer via USB
3. Allow Windows to load drivers
4. Disconnect phone from USB
5. Turn off phone's USB debug mode
6. Reconnect USB between phone and computer
7. Successfully connect with Kies via the USB

The key here being: Have the phone in USB Debug mode when connecting to the computer to automatically load the drivers via the Windows Recognized New Hardware Wizard. Then disconnect and turn off the phone's USB Debug mode before reconnecting to the computer and Kies.

Now I put the "[?]" in my subject line because I have the confidence level of approximately zero with Kies at this point, woindering if it will connect the next time [smile] Hope this helps! - David
YES. Thank you. Now when ICS comes to Sprint, I'll be able to update!

Upvote 0
Following works fine
Originally Posted by DavidWOT
1. Turn on USB debug mode in my phone >settings>applications>development
2. Connect the phone to computer via USB
3. Allow Windows to load drivers
4. Disconnect phone from USB
5. Turn off phone's USB debug mode
6. Reconnect USB between phone and computer
7. Successfully connect with Kies via the USB

The key here being: Have the phone in USB Debug mode when connecting to the computer to automatically load the drivers via the Windows Recognized New Hardware Wizard. Then disconnect and turn off the phone's USB Debug mode before reconnecting to the computer and Kies.

Now I put the "[?]" in my subject line because I have the confidence level of approximately zero with Kies at this point, woindering if it will connect the next time [smile] Hope this helps! - David

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

After going through all of this thread and having none of the options work for Windows XP.

With regards to Windows XP I found that I had to install the Microsoft User Mode Driver Framework for WinXP to allow the driver to install properly which can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71641&/umdf.exe

Once I had install this I you need to force the driver to finish updating I did this through Device Manager and selecting Android MTP and selecting update driver.

Hope this help.

This information was found at
[Solved] MTP for WinXP - A service installation section in this INF is invalid - xda-developers

Regards,

Colin

guys,

This finally worked for me after having spent forever trying out the various methods detailed on this thread and many similar on the web.

All i can say is s***w u samsung for this P.O.S kies app.

cheers.

Upvote 0
I am in no way insinuating that the average user needs to run out and do this, but after 6 months of never being able to connect to Kies via the cable, I was fed up. I had other issues with the phone thinking I was always connected to a cable, and some other things. After finding out that there are a lot of dodgy USB ports with these phones, I realized that all my problems could be linked to this. I bought a port off of ebay and installed it myself, and waalaa!! Every problem solved. I connected to KIES straight away. So all this time I had a crappy USB port.

It was a simple install, and Im glad I did it. It was the only way I was getting Ice Cream Sandwich.

Just troubleshoot your problems very carefully, and I bet some of you can be linked back to this problem. Make sure you search this issue and make sure this could be your problem before you assume this and buy a new port.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I have been pulling my hair out over this issue and HOORAH just got my Galaxy S2 to connect to Kies!
After trying the tips in this thread and other forums I ended up by simply taking out the SD card AND the sim. After powering down of course. Restarted the phone without the SD and SIM cards, started Kies, connected using the usb cable and bingo it recognised the phone!!:D
I am now currently backing up in preperation to upgrade to ICS.
Hope this is of help to anybody else having this problem.

Upvote 0
My Galaxy S2 could not be detected on either Windows 7 or Odin.Had upgraded Android 2.3.4 after rooting.
Found the tips below on forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1317916

That finally did the job for me! Many thanks to Ashtwinks!

1. When the phone is upgraded to Android 2.3.4 and above (mine is 2.3.6) Kies stops recognizing the phones and USB connection / Serial port connections etc get reset on the phone
2. Even if proper drivers are there on the laptop (mine is Windows 7 64bit) they are not recognized
3. Device Manager shows "unknown device"
4. Updating the driver also does not result in any help
5. solution lies in the phone
a. key in the dialer *#7284#
b. it has 4 option there..
UART (MODEM/PDA)
USB (MODEM/PDA)
c. For USB. select the PDA.if it already selected to PDA. reselect it by select MODEM and then PDA again.. Only change the USB setting.. andthen press back. try reconnect (thanks to napi1 @ androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/447145-sgs2-kies-not-syncing-os-2-3-5-a.html#post3484588)
6. The Laptop will start recognizing the required drivers and install them
also
Phone is not recognized by laptop when it is in USB debug mode, MyPhoneExplorer does not recognize when it is not in Debug mode

Thank you thank you thank you thank you etc etc etc. THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:shakehands::shakehands::shakehands::shakehands::shakehands:

Upvote 0
Guys,

I read through pages and posts all over the net for two days and had no luck connecting to Kies. And then I read a post by a certain man shaped God, who suggested removing my microSD card. It worked immediately.

Try it.

Since then I can connect fine. Although, still every time I connect to Kies, I still have to switch my phone off and back on before it will connect.

Kies is the worst phone software I've ever used.

Reactions: ceider and eldrin
Upvote 0
Guys,

I read through pages and posts all over the net for two days and had no luck connecting to Kies. And then I read a post by a certain man shaped God, who suggested removing my microSD card. It worked immediately.

Try it.

Since then I can connect fine. Although, still every time I connect to Kies, I still have to switch my phone off and back on before it will connect.

Kies is the worst phone software I've ever used.

Having tried all the above options, turning on and then turning off USB debugging, I have had absolutely no luck connecting to Kies. I live away from home at the mo without lappy or wifi, so I only get a once-every-three-week chance to try to connect. Three weeks ago, I COULD connect, but the ICS upgrade wasn't available.

Now, three weeks later, my phone won't even bloody connect :mad: I have little experience of samsung software, but right now it's looking damn useless.

Just about to turn my phone back on then try again......:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones