• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP: Unbrick and then update SGH-i527

lioness818

Mar 17, 2014
My phone was previously rooted (can't remember if I used mobogenie or Kingoroot). I un-rooted using superuser in an attempt to get the update to 4.4. when I tried to boot in recovery mode it says "System software not authorized by AT&T has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest ATT store for help" and "Secure Fail: KERNEL". It can be put in download mode. I've tried using odin to go back to the stock rom but get a "fail" everytime (with the pit file and without) and the message "Complete(Write) operation failed". I also tried to push files using fastboot but the computer doesn't recognize my device when I type "adb devices" -- nothing comes up. I also tried Kies but it just keeps saying "connecting" but never does.

Ultimately what I am trying to achieve is #1 unbrick the phone (of course) and #2 to end up with at least 4.4 (or possibly higher if available).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones