• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP! Updating Firmware with Kies - Device doesn't support updating via kies

Stacia2242

Jun 28, 2010
Hello! I'm trying to update my Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint) firmware with Kies, and have been unsuccessful so far. When I connect my phone to Kies, it says "Your Device Does Not Support Updating Via Kies" under firmware upgrade.

I'm currently running Android 2.3.6 (I updated it OTA first day I got the phone when I got the prompt), and have heard that could be a part of the problem?

I'm wanting to update because I've heard the latest firmware is much better & will silence the camera when taking pictures (I take a lot of pictures at weddings, etc., so the snap doesn't work well for me : )).

Any idea on what I can do to get my firmware updated to the latest Samsung firmware (I think it's xxlph or something like that)? I'm not necessarily opposed to using Odin or anything like that, just don't want to root or brick my phone! : )

Thanks!

Model Number: SPH-D710
Android Version: 2.3.6
Basseband Version: S: D710.10 S.EL29
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EL29-CL852097
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.EL29
Hardware Version: D710.10

Hello! I'm trying to update my Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint) firmware with Kies, and have been unsuccessful so far. When I connect my phone to Kies, it says "Your Device Does Not Support Updating Via Kies" under firmware upgrade.

I'm currently running Android 2.3.6 (I updated it OTA first day I got the phone when I got the prompt), and have heard that could be a part of the problem?

I'm wanting to update because I've heard the latest firmware is much better & will silence the camera when taking pictures (I take a lot of pictures at weddings, etc., so the snap doesn't work well for me : )).

Any idea on what I can do to get my firmware updated to the latest Samsung firmware (I think it's xxlph or something like that)? I'm not necessarily opposed to using Odin or anything like that, just don't want to root or brick my phone! : )

Thanks!

Model Number: SPH-D710
Android Version: 2.3.6
Basseband Version: S: D710.10 S.EL29
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EL29-CL852097
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.EL29
Hardware Version: D710.10

It looks like you already have the latest official firmware since you are already at EL29. I have heard that updating the Sprint Epic 4g Touch firmware via Kies can brick your phone. Instead, go to home/menu/settings/about phone/system updates/ and select update firmware. Any official firmware upgrades will be there. You can also try to update the Android OS there.

By the way, the xxlph that you mentioned is not an official Samsung update and it is only for model # GTI9100.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones