• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

coach_leo

Mar 15, 2015
I see you haven't been on in a while but I am hoping you get this message.

I have a ZTE z992 which several started working on custom Roms for but none seem to have finished. Nor is there a stock Rom that I have found complete for download.

I have rooted it using rootking and have tried to backup my Rom but can't get it to work. I was wondering if u developed any new Rom for this phone and if u know where I can retrieve a stock Rom from for backup.

I've tried to use the clock model trick but when I use the terminal emulator it gives me gibberish and does not work. I know this phone can do more and the stock eats the ram up.. ...please help if you can seems no one works with tthese old ones anymore.

OK let me give an update because I am hating this thing right now.... I used the cwm and thought it did a backup but didn't....I installed the azazel ROM from one of these threads thought it was good but keeps saying phone crashed and settings stopped...all I can do is text and internet....I'm rooted still and downloading the stock

Upvote 0
OK let me give an update because I am hating this thing right now.... I used the cwm and thought it did a backup but didn't....I installed the azazel ROM from one of these threads thought it was good but keeps saying phone crashed and settings stopped...all I can do is text and internet....I'm rooted still and downloading the stock
Prelude ROM now I also have the of ROM but having trouble getting it to boot back into the cwm recovery mode....if you can help email me at soccercoachleo@gmail.com and maybe I can call for faster help I'm still working as we speak thanks for any advice u can give........

Upvote 0
Here is messages I keep getting and can not get back into recovery mode at all
Screenshot_2015-09-27-05-39-40.png
Screenshot_2015-09-27-05-39-18.png

Upvote 0
OK I figured it out for anyone who may have the same problem and also the question how to get an apk to load without the source being verified ...first the azeazel does work on Zte avail 2 with some tweeks. You have to be rooted and have a root file manager app..... I use SD maid.....the programs that do not start go export the apk to your SD card.....delete the original and the odex file just below it....copy the apk back into the sys/app folder.....set permission to rw-r-r-....restart and it will be loaded by the system on startup as a system file the missing codes replaced and has mine working super!!!!

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
I put Azazel on a Z992 as well. I used KingoRoot to root it, installed CWM 6.0.3.7 through Terminal Emulator that I found for the Z993 somewhere, then flashed the Azazel ROM. The only thing is that the install directions for the Prelude didn't quite work for the Avail2. I had to wipe data, wipe cache, wipe Dalvik cache, the go into mounts and format data, cache and system then choose boot recovery before rebooting.

I was getting the stopped processes (shown above) when I followed the Prelude flash instructions, though.

I find the Azazel ROM does help performance. I also put APUS Launcher on it, which I turned a lot of features off on and set for max performance. It's a very light launcher and seems to further improve performance while looking nice and adding some nice touches. It's built-in RAM cleaner/booster helps a LOT if you dump the RAM between demanding apps.

This phone runs a lot better with some virtual memory added because of its low RAM and I did that with Simple Root Swap. You can also use ROM Toolbox Lite to boost the SD card and help with the reading/writing speed on the RAM partition Simple Root Swap creates.

So if anyone else runs across one cheap, or even FREE as I did, then perhaps it'll be easier for you to get it running decently after reading this. It wasn't that difficult, I just had a hard time finding what worked and what didn't. LOL It's not a bad little phone after some modifications. Once modded it's far more capable than in its stock form.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones