• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hey there!
I got a new phone and to my surprise, Instagram now is a system application.
For some reason that wasnt the case for my
bootzine samsung galaxy s21 Utra.
So what can I do now to remove instagram completely?
Drop down menu, tap on the apps, and you see uninstall at the bottom, and it will be a simple push to completely take it off, if is a system, you can easily simply block it and remove it that way :)

Upvote 0
It isn't a system app on my s21, but different manufacturers can pre-install different things on different phones, and if you bought the phone through a service provider they may add apps themselves.

It's possible to remove some pre-installed apps on some phones, but not most.

The alternative is to disable it (which stops it running and stops it updating). However, it's also possible for the manufacturer or carrier (whoever did this) to block disabling: that should only be done where the app is actually essential, but I've known Samsung do it with junk apps before now, and certainly wouldn't put it past some service providers to do that.

Reactions: svim and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Yeah, it's not likely you'll be able to actually Uninstall a pre-installed, system app. Hopefully you can at least Disable it so the app isn't going to be in the background any longer and wasting system resources. When you're trying to nullify this app, go into the app's Storage usage menu and tap on Clear data. Using Clear data will wipe the app's user config and settings data, and the app's cache. Shouldn't be a significant amount if you never used the Instagram app to begin with, but just in case there is any existing preset settings this helps rendering the app to be useless. But system apps/services may or may not be very manageable so don't be surprised when some options for the app might be greyed out. At best delete any Instagram icons in your screens and such so at least it's an 'out of sight, out of mind' matter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones