• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root High Speed Download Links for Ally Software(es)

Did anyone notice that, when the focus in this thread shifted to which is easier/harder HarleyChick quietly disappeared? I think you scared her off. I was hoping to follow what she said and hopefully read of her success, as I am thinking about trying this myself. I do well when it comes to Windows PCs but Android is new to me and I also don't want to brick my only phone. But I am getting tired of waiting for Froyo which, I'll bet you a Caf-Pow, is never actually going to come for the Ally. There are so many new Android phones coming out I'll be surprised if these phone vendors remain focused on existing phones and their improvement.

My biggest wish is to be able to run apps from the SD card. I don't suppose anyone has found a way to do that without rooting the phone yet?

With that specific goal in mind, which rooting process would you suggest as the most stable and also least complex?

Zoandroid

Use z4root from the market. One click root.

Your correct theres no way to do apps2sd on a non rooted phone.

See the Froyo Development thread for info ona custom version of 2.2 in the works. (Page 3)

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I was tied up in another project when you suggested it but am now ready to give it a try. So as not to have to repeat possibly already posted info, is there a place I can find information on the theoretical problem of what to do if I try Z4Root and for some reason I need to "undo" it? I like to go into this sort of thing knowing I have a plan of "escape". :D

Also if there are any caveats on Apps2SD (like how to 'undo' that as well in the worst case scenario) some info there would be appreciated too. :)

Lastly, lets say I do this and then tomorrow Froyo releases as an OTA update for the Ally (I know, I am not holding my breath). Can I just go ahead and do that OTA update to get it? If so, what happens to the apps I moved to the SD card? Do they still work?

Zoandroid

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I was tied up in another project when you suggested it but am now ready to give it a try. So as not to have to repeat possibly already posted info, is there a place I can find information on the theoretical problem of what to do if I try Z4Root and for some reason I need to "undo" it? I like to go into this sort of thing knowing I have a plan of "escape". :D

Also if there are any caveats on Apps2SD (like how to 'undo' that as well in the worst case scenario) some info there would be appreciated too. :)

Lastly, lets say I do this and then tomorrow Froyo releases as an OTA update for the Ally (I know, I am not holding my breath). Can I just go ahead and do that OTA update to get it? If so, what happens to the apps I moved to the SD card? Do they still work?

Zoandroid
I realize that you posted this 3 weeks ago & surely have your answer by now, but I thought I'd give back some of the knowledge that I've so freely been taking from this forum.
I believe I'm correct in saying that once you root (no matter how) that you can accept the OTA updates however they will error out upon installation(something due to "keys") at which point your phone will simply reboot with no effect, other than the update pop up disappears. To go back to Honest Stock condition I think you would need to flash a Version 6 stock rom, then do the standard OTA updates which would bring you to Froyo if it ever appears. (FEB. last I heard)
Apps2SD, I know that is available on Velocity ROMS versions 0.3 & newer, Punisher, & Raptor, that I'm currently aware of. However I do think there is a A2SD from Darktremor that will work with the stock ROM as long as you have root. I'm not sure about the apps on the SD working after updating to Froyo but I think you may have to reinstall them after the multiple updates you will have to do to get Froyo.
Hope this helps!
Now for my official disclaimer,.. I have 3 months exp. with my 1st smartphone.... I'm a NOOB.... so please check into this for yourself. I do offer this info in good faith(corrections gladly appreciated on errors).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the belated reply.:) Much has transpired in that time. I used Z4root and rooted my Ally, and installed ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery and A2SD, which nicely moved my apps to the SD card. After a while got up the nerve to try flashing Velocity 0.4, which I now have running. From there I have tried out overclocking and had good success so far up to 748MHz. But I ran into an odd problem with ROM Manager not running right on Velocity, even after clocking back to 600 MHz. I still don't know the underlying cause. But I have switched to using Amon-RA Recovery and uninstalled ROM Mgr, as I won't be needing it now.

I think your thoughts on how all this works are correct, but like you I still have much to learn. :) There seems to be a solution to every problem I have encountered so far somewhere within this forum, or if not found here then by contacting someone on the ALLY IRC channel. Most everyone has been very helpful and friendly. :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones