• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Home instead of Sense?

Yeah - but where is it?
I got the update notification, updated, rebooted - durned if *I* see a fifth screen in the center...
What did I forget to do?

you have to enable it in the config screen

So is DXTop just a "Home" replacement also? Anyone have any screens from it? Does it do anything special?

its real special :)

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/27414-lets-see-your-ui-layout-6.html#post330944

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/27414-lets-see-your-ui-layout-5.html#post317105

info

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40067-anyone-try-openhome-eris.html#post315071

Upvote 0
menu>settings>applications>manage applications
scroll down to sense and select it then select clear defaults
hit the home key and a pop up will appear. check the box to do this action by default and then select home. Repeat this process (only swap home and sense) to go back to sense.

I have tried the home now but I want to change back to Sense. But I can't press the "Clear Defaults" button because it says that it's already been cleared. What must I do to get back Sense? :)

- SoftChIP

Upvote 0
Had my phone for a little over a week now and i've been back and forth on Home and Sense. Right now I'm running Sense and the phone seems to respond better. Also frees up a lot more ram after the garbage (footprints, newrob, shopsavvy, browser, why does this startup on startup? ) is shutdown.

A clean boot after clearing the extra programs I never us gives me 104mb free, with sense it was in the 80s.

I also like the stock drawer rather than the sense drawer.

Upvote 0
I have tried the home now but I want to change back to Sense. But I can't press the "Clear Defaults" button because it says that it's already been cleared. What must I do to get back Sense?

Rather than clearing defaults in Sense, you must clear defaults in the application "Home". Then, the next time you press the home button, it will ask which home you want to use, and will allow you to set Sense as the default.

Upvote 0
For those who've switched to HOME from SENSE, how's your battery life ? Since switching, I can't make it more than 8-10 hours without needing to re-charge. I had the phone on the charger overnight and it was at 100% this morning. Now, at 5pm, it's telling me to "Please connect charger" and that it's below 10% already !

I notice a little better, I took mine off the charger this morning at 6am and I've used it for .. a few phone calls, couple dozen texts , dozen emails, pandora for about a half an hour and music player for about an hour plus some web surfing etc....

and about 330 I'm at 68% battery so that's 32% in a 9.5 hours.. I'd say I'd usually be about 55%

Upvote 0
For those who've switched to HOME from SENSE, how's your battery life ? Since switching, I can't make it more than 8-10 hours without needing to re-charge. I had the phone on the charger overnight and it was at 100% this morning. Now, at 5pm, it's telling me to "Please connect charger" and that it's below 10% already !
It's not any better running home than sense. Both are the same. You will not save any battery by running home.

Upvote 0
...improved quickness a bit and made using the dialer and basic phone easier and snappier.

Those were the things that Smacky was talking about when I first saw the idea of disabling Sense posted here, so I tried it.

I did like it for a bit; went back and forth and played with it a while. For me the telling thing was realizing that when I was in Home I was looking forward to getting back to Sense, but when I was in Sense I was just going to Home to see what it was like.

So, Sense won. Not a big enough difference in performance to justify making Home the default.

Upvote 0

My battery life seems better to me - probably 10% higher by the end of the day. Based on what I recall of your screen shots, perhaps it's all of the widgets you have? I have only two widgets running - Pure Calendar and a battery widget (which, when pressed, lets me toggle the radios as well.)

Also, I only have lag occasionally when I first turn on the phone from sleep after it's been sitting for a bit and it then pops some notifications (which happened with Sense UI as well.) Otherwise, there is much less lag than when Sense UI is running. (I was running basically the same number of widgets under Sense - I removed the huge clock/weather widget early on.)

Upvote 0
My battery life seems better to me - probably 10% higher by the end of the day. Based on what I recall of your screen shots, perhaps it's all of the widgets you have? I have only two widgets running - Pure Calendar and a battery widget (which, when pressed, lets me toggle the radios as well.)

Also, I only have lag occasionally when I first turn on the phone from sleep after it's been sitting for a bit and it then pops some notifications (which happened with Sense UI as well.) Otherwise, there is much less lag than when Sense UI is running. (I was running basically the same number of widgets under Sense - I removed the huge clock/weather widget early on.)

What battery life is that? I use batterylife by curvefish just because it looks great..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones