• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home page grid option missing

countryblue

Dec 6, 2019
Galaxy s10e

'I got a replacement phone. I'm in the process of matching all my settings from the old device.

This is about the home page grid setting.

My old phone setting, 6x6 grid

grid old.jpg

New phone setting, 5x6 grid

grid new.png

How do I get that 6x6 setting option back?

Is this the same model of phone? The menu looks very similar, but if it's a different model Samsung might have chosen different settings.

If the Samsung home screen doesn't let you change it then the answer is in Danny's post above (I never use the manufacturer's launcher anyway personally). But just to check the obvious, you have tried clicking on the grid size and seeing if that lets you change it? But if it doesn't offer 6x6 then another launcher that does is the only way.

Upvote 0
Are we talking about the paid version,, cuz I don't see any settings link

Edit: Turns out I didn't realize that along with the Nova Launcher home page button, a Nova settings button was also added 4 pages to the right.

In the settings, I also had to resize the buttons from 106% to 100% to get 6 to fit horizontally.

I know it probably doesn't seem like a big deal to most, but this is a relief. I've got a lot of apps, and it makes navigating the home page and other areas as well far easier, more efficient. Now I'm gonna investigate all other interesting options.

Thanks!! Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did find something odd after installing Nova. Maybe a bug? Actually kinda related to an answer I've been seeking for some time.

I have about 15 contacts that now are titled as "Unknown". All but two are email addresses.

I've been trying to separate my email contacts from my phone contacts for a long time, including trying to adjust setings in the cloud, but they still get mixed together. Now this "Unknown" thing is making things even more complicated.

1688859980864.png

Upvote 0
I used to have a bug where all my contacts got duplicated many times over. Would cause tons of issues with Google Assistant voice dialing on phone and Bixby chaos on watch. I never did figure it out, and it resolved itself with replacement phones over the years. The last time I dealt with duplicates was with the Galaxy S5 and the Galaxy Watch Active. I was able to resolve it on the phone, but the watch had three separate entries for my girlfriend on the watch and it never got fixed, meaning I was unable to conveniently tell Bixby to 'send "I love you sweetie" to Lisa' because it kept telling me 'which one?' and I had to tap the screen each time, meaning it's no longer hands free. Thank goodness my Galaxy Watch (2018) doesn't suffer this bug.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
that is not a nova setting. that is your contacts app. when you select the unknown contact, does it have the correct info?

It looks looks it was just a coincidence. Nothing to do with Nova. I think I found an explanation, although it doesn't exactly match my issue of multiple contacts labelled as "unknown", and I'm confused as to why it continues to exist.

Not to mention, I still have gmail contacts that display correctly.

Apparently it has something to do with the transfer of data from your old phone to the current one. From the old SIM car to the new. But if that's the case, you would think that this issue would be well known?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That post seems to be just about your number when (if) you look it up in the settings, rather than about other contacts. So I think it's something different.

(In fact I've done what they say, bought a new phone and transferred my number tp a new SIM without seeing that problem - once you get a SIM update the number in the settings updates as well. Unless Samsung specifically screwed that up in some phones...).

As for your issue, is there anything these contacts have in common, e.g. you store them on your SIM, or on your phone without syncing them, they are in a particular contact to group, linked to a particular account...? Anything different about these might help identify the cause, and hence (hopefully) solve the problem.

I guess another question is what happens if you just open one and edit it? Presumably you can tell who it is from the information inside it, so what happens if you just add a name by hand?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones