• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How are you liking the AT&T Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA Update?

Mine came today: Downloading now: 380.28MB/693.22MB 55%
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA Update Now Available For AT&T Galaxy Note 4, Note Edge, Galaxy S6, S6 Edge
By Anvinraj Sivanandan on October 13 2015 4:20 AM EDT
http://www.androidcentral.com/att-starts-rolling-out-android-511-update-its-samsung-galaxy-note-4
All done, took less than an hour. Everything seems to be working OK. I'll check for the new stuff and report back later.

I heard many nightmares about this update when the other carriers updated theirs and I heard good things too.
So, how are you guys liking your 5.1.1 update?

I personally hate the new update. Aince I have updated when I unlock my phone the screen like fades in to the brightness I have it set at, rather than just boom there it is. It reminds of like an older tv that you turn on and it slowly starts to get brighter, it's not as slow at all it pretty quick but its a visual update that I definitely do not like and I can't find a way to disable it

Upvote 0
I personally hate the new update. Aince I have updated when I unlock my phone the screen like fades in to the brightness I have it set at, rather than just boom there it is. It reminds of like an older tv that you turn on and it slowly starts to get brighter, it's not as slow at all it pretty quick but its a visual update that I definitely do not like and I can't find a way to disable it

Try turning on developer options in your settings. In there you can turn off some graphic transitions that tend to steal processor time. I would bet that this annoyance would then be history.

I have been thinking about updating, but the 5.0.1 update was so bad for me that I rolled back to 4.4.4. So far what I have heard has not filled me with confidence that the 5.1.1 update is any better :(

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
Is that that the only reason you hate the new update??? So far I'm liking the update a lot... seems snappier, mainly no glitches. The settings I had before stayed the same, no surprises and I use my phone a LOT. Anyways on your problem, if it is like mine, when I first turn the phone on, the locking screen it fades in with some bubbles, then when I swipe it, it is instantly bright with the picture I selected. The settings to change either are in Settings/Lock Screen/unlocked effect. Yours may be Settings/Home Screen/Tansition effect

The problems I've read the past few months when the other carriers updated to 5.1.1 I have not seen.

Upvote 0
The problems I've read the past few months when the other carriers updated to 5.1.1 I have not seen.

Hi Jack,

Do you stream music via Bluetooth by any chance? This is what killed the Lollypop experience for me (that and the mega memory leak in 5.0.1). It also annoyed me that that the status bar (top left) was changed to only display the carrier. I assume this was because status messages are now shown on the lock screen. Problem is that I turned this off to see my user info (in case I misplace my phone and it is found by someone honest) and so I could not see my status without unlocking. But, if Bluetooth were solid then I could live with this.

Oh and I could not turn off the status LED in Lollypop (my wife cannot sleep if there is light in the bedroom). The option was still there, but it didn't work.

Regards,
Eric.

Upvote 0
Hi Jack,

Do you stream music via Bluetooth by any chance? This is what killed the Lollypop experience for me (that and the mega memory leak in 5.0.1). It also annoyed me that that the status bar (top left) was changed to only display the carrier. I assume this was because status messages are now shown on the lock screen. Problem is that I turned this off to see my user info (in case I misplace my phone and it is found by someone honest) and so I could not see my status without unlocking. But, if Bluetooth were solid then I could live with this.

Oh and I could not turn off the status LED in Lollypop (my wife cannot sleep if there is light in the bedroom). The option was still there, but it didn't work.

Regards,
Eric.
I don't do music on my phone as I'm extremely hard of hearing. My status bar has several things at the top all which I use. I see the AT&T at top left on lock screen... no biggie. On the LED light, I imagine there is a way to shut it off somewhere, but just turn the phone face down in the bedroom, end of problem. Mine LED only comes on when I need to see text mail, so that is important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really liked the 5.1.1 update. I had some issues that were resolved, for the most part. I still have the tiniest lag between the time that I take a pic and the time that I can access it to view it, but it's much better than before.
All the crashes that I'd been having are gone. And FB is much smoother, I can actually click on outside links to sites I sometimes go.

Upvote 0
@jack, I have AT&T also was wondering is the update worth downloading in your opinion ?

I'm still on 5.0.1 right now.

Well I did the upgrade but I'm still at 5.0.1 ?
I don't notice any real changes either way other than maybe a little faster, but I only use my phone for texting, checking my email, using the camera a lot along with the gallery and going online from time to time. That all works fine. I haven't had any problems so far and I guess that counts for something.

Upvote 0
Mine came today: Downloading now: 380.28MB/693.22MB 55%
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OTA Update Now Available For AT&T Galaxy Note 4, Note Edge, Galaxy S6, S6 Edge
By Anvinraj Sivanandan on October 13 2015 4:20 AM EDT
http://www.androidcentral.com/att-starts-rolling-out-android-511-update-its-samsung-galaxy-note-4
All done, took less than an hour. Everything seems to be working OK. I'll check for the new stuff and report back later.

I heard many nightmares about this update when the other carriers updated theirs and I heard good things too.
So, how are you guys liking your 5.1.1 update?
I can't get my phone to update...it goes through the complete process, starts the update, and then after a few minutes says the update cannot be installed. Has happened 5 times now

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply....I have 3.33 GB free space and I just cleared my cache...I can't check for an update for another 20 hours or so
If you're having issues getting the update,join/log-in to the official AT&T Forum/Community.
I was having problems getting updates,kept getting a "your device is up to date",even though I was two updates behind.
PM a forum moderator & they may push the update(s) to your phone.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Community/ct-p/attwireless

Reactions: jack58
Upvote 0
I really liked the 5.1.1 update. I had some issues that were resolved, for the most part. I still have the tiniest lag between the time that I take a pic and the time that I can access it to view it, but it's much better than before.
All the crashes that I'd been having are gone. And FB is much smoother, I can actually click on outside links to sites I sometimes go.

Hi. Since you're the only one that i recognize on this forum, i will ask you this question. I'm getting the Note, but i'm caught between the 4, and the 5. Can you give me some feedback? Thanks.:p

Upvote 0
Hi. Since you're the only one that i recognize on this forum, i will ask you this question. I'm getting the Note, but i'm caught between the 4, and the 5. Can you give me some feedback? Thanks.:p

Hi there

I passed on the Note 5 because I like the removable battery and my SD card on my Note 4. I don't know what I'll do about the Note 6. If it follows the trend of the Note 5 I'll just pass that up as well.
Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hi there

I passed on the Note 5 because I like the removable battery and my SD card on my Note 4. I don't know what I'll do about the Note 6. If it follows the trend of the Note 5 I'll just pass that up as well.
Hope that helps.
Hi, I agree with you on Samsung's strange decision to abandon the removable battery, I am just waiting to see what the new LG G4 Pro is like, recent reviews seem promising, this has a removable battery and SD card. Phil

Reactions: Qbnkelt
Upvote 0
Hi there

Hope that helps.
Hi, I agree with you on Samsung's strange decision to abandon the removable battery, I am just waiting to see what the new LG G4 Pro is like, recent reviews seem promising, this has a removable battery and SD card,although I will miss the S Pen. Phil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones