• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Come the 4" Screen Phones Are Getting All the Hype, When the 5" Dell Streak Takes a Backseat?

Rev. Nathan

Jun 10, 2010
I used a Nokia 770 for over a year, and the difference between a 3.5"-3.7" screen and the tablet's 4.1" screen is pretty glorious. Now that such a screen size is making it's way to the modern fold (first with the HTC Evo 4G, and now the hotly anticipated Motorola Droid X), I can't help but feel the humble increase isn't enough to feign serious interest over your run-of-the-mill screen size. Certainly, it's bigger, but is it enough? When the Dell Streak first showed up, I instantly knew I wanted it. 5" is the perfect gap between large screen pocket device, and 9"-10" non-pocket device.

Yet, it seems the Streak's coverage is little, even though it's already out in the United Kingdom, and showing up here stateside in under a month. Why is it? Am I beyond the fray, and am alone in thinking that 5" is perfect rather than overkill? Or are people afraid Dell might jump the shark (since this is their first phone, and is putting a lot forward)? Or am I not seeing the bigger picture here, at all?

Why are the 4" phones getting all the drolling mouths and oh-la-la's, while a 5" phone is coming in no time at all to shut down the competition?

EDIT: For comparison, a little evidence before I sound like a look spouting off:
Here, even on this forum it seems evident:
Dell Mini 5 (32/265)
Motorola Droid X (126/2,940)
HTC EVO 4G (5,132/92,865)
The Droid X forum has more than ten times the post activity, even though the Dell Streak has been a tangible product for twice as long. The EVO 4G forum has well more than that, but excuses to it, since it's been available to the public for longer than the Streak has.

Google Trends: http://www.google.com/trends?q=Dell+Streak,+Motorola+Droid+X,+HTC+Evo+4G
Streak's popularity on the internet has nosedived down after it's hands-on at D8, and quickly Droid X's searches are taking it's place. Meanwhile the non-Dell phones increase in both news and search activity.

Yea... most ppl would prolly think 5" is a bit too big as a full time phone but hey, you're entitled to your own peference ;) other factors may include a dated OS (Android 1.6) and personally I dislike the Dell skin that they've put on it.

All of the above. I have no desire to carry a 5" screen in my pocket all day, heck even the Incredible's at 3.7 seems a bit much to me honestly, but to each their own I guess.

Upvote 0
Yea... most ppl would prolly think 5" is a bit too big as a full time phone but hey, you're entitled to your own peference ;) other factors may include a dated OS (Android 1.6) and personally I dislike the Dell skin that they've put on it.

I could see 1.6 being a minor influence, but 2.2 is promised around the same timeframe most other phones are getting it as well. The early reviews say the device is very pocketable, but perhaps the assumption turns people off.

Upvote 0
I could see 1.6 being a minor influence, but 2.2 is promised around the same timeframe most other phones are getting it as well. The early reviews say the device is very pocketable, but perhaps the assumption turns people off.

No, it's not about it being pocketable or not. It just LOOKS a little too big for a phone. A mini internet tablet maybe, but not so much so as a phone. My friend and I recently went to the store to try it out and we just couldnt imagine ourselves pulling that thing out when replying a text or to exchange numbers (with a girl ;)) etc. Maybe because we're students and we like to keep a low profile in lectures! It may appeal to businessmen who are more apt to carrying around larger gadgets.

Dell may have promised 2.2 but from my experience with HTC delaying updates to the Hero and with Sony only promising 2.1 for the X10 in September (wtf?); no offense to Dell, but I wouldnt place my bet on the manufacturers' sweet words for now.

That being said, this is all just my personal preference so if you're happy with the Streak, then go for it! I'm more than happy to see ppl supporting Android and its vast array of formfactors :)

Upvote 0
Some friends that look at my EVO already think that's too big for a cell phone and don't want it--it's too big. I can't imagine a five inch screen will win them over. Studies have shown that most consumers still want something they can wear, quickly access and be somewhat transparent part of their lives. My EVO has pretty much replaced my laptop for the way I use computers. One of my kids said the EVO felt to her like a smaller iPad--that's what they're comparing it too.

Upvote 0
People already gripe about the size of the 4" devices. Just because you find 5" a major selling point doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Here, even on this forum it seems evident:
Dell Mini 5 (32/265)
Motorola Droid X (126/2,940)
HTC EVO 4G (5,132/92,865)
The Droid X forum has more than ten times the post activity, even though the Dell Streak has been a tangible product for twice as long. The EVO 4G forum has well more than that, but excuses to it, since it's been available to the public for longer than the Streak has.
I haven't checked but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of this site's users are in the US and, understandably, more interested in a device that is already available in the US or has a confirmed release date.

Upvote 0
5" is a "tweener" size - too big to carry around as a cell phone but too small as a usefull tablet. It will never suceed for that reason.

I've used the Nokia tablets - at least the N770 and N800. Really nice screens, but way to big to carry around as a phone. My use for them was as touchscreen remotes for my automation system. They were perfect for that, but were too big for a phone and too small to effectively use as a tablet IMHO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones