• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I change the lock screen time?

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I am not referring to how long before the screen goes off after using the phone.

When the screen is off, I press the button to unlock the screen. I now only get a few seconds to enter the pattern. I want it longer. I might be looking at what notifications there are, or I might be in the middle of something else and not have time to draw the pattern immediately. How do I change this simple setting?

What phone do you have?

On my phone SETTINGS>DISPLAY>SCREEN TIMEOUT Mine is set for 1 minute

Attachments

• screentimeout2.png
      screentimeout2.png
      933.9 KB · Views: 57
    Last edited:
    Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    Where would I find that? Searching for "power" in the settings app gives nothing relevant, and clicking "battery and device care" crashes the app. I wouldn't have put anything like that on, and would have turned it off if it caused a problem, because I run all 8 cores 24/7 on Boinc science projects. It's currently analyzing asteroids.

Upvote 0
    if it crashes your Boinc app when you click on "battery and device care". Maybe a factory reset of your phone would help? maybe not. Maybe the Boinc app is too much for a phone CPU.

I don't know why anyone would want to run a 24/7 Boinc science project on a phone, rather than a home computer.

I'm out of thoughts on your time out problem unlocking your phone

Hopefully someone else will have a solution for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    No, it crashes the settings app. Android, like Windows, is buggy.

A factory reset is never an answer. Would you demolish and rebuild your house because the kitchen light isn't working?

The phone CPU manages Boinc just fine, it's more powerful than some older desktops! It will even run it on battery for 6 hours (unlike an Iphone which goes flat after 5 minutes of phonecalls and 2 photos).

I run it on 2 phones and 8 computers, which also provides heating for the house!. There's someone on this forum who believes we'll all stop using computers and just use phones, although I believe he's somewhat misguided.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
    Upvote 0
    Hmmm... Sometimes it is even a different change of settings then go to your screen time out, and then head to display, mine is set off for fifteen seconds, and also my tablet too, same thing on a Samsung device.
    Sorry I don't understand. My screen timeout is 30 minutes. It's not 30 minutes, I'm getting 5 seconds on the lock screen.
    P.S. What's that in your picture? I thought it was a bag of bird seed, but zooming in it doesn't look like that.

Try rebooting your Wi-Fi router. And if that doesn't work, you may need to try resetting your phone or tablet.
    What on earth does my Wifi router have to do with this?
    And by reset, do you mean factory reset? Hardly the way to solve a small settings change.

Upvote 0
    Sorry I don't understand. My screen timeout is 30 minutes. It's not 30 minutes, I'm getting 5 seconds on the lock screen.
    P.S. What's that in your picture? I thought it was a bag of bird seed, but zooming in it doesn't look like that.

What on earth does my Wifi router have to do with this?
    And by reset, do you mean factory reset? Hardly the way to solve a small settings change.
    Oh water, just a few bottles of water, hydro bubbles, if you put in country water in the regular water, it turns to this.
    Oh your screen out time is that, did you go to your settings, and click on Display?

Upvote 0
    Oh water, just a few bottles of water, hydro bubbles, if you put in country water in the regular water, it turns to this.
    Oh your screen out time is that, did you go to your settings, and click on Display?
    Uhhh.... what? No. Two timeouts.
    1) I'm using the phone, I stop using the phone and leave it unlocked. It goes off after 30 minutes.
    2) I've locked the phone, I press the button on the side to wake up the screen, but don't do the security pattern yet. 5 seconds later the screen goes off again.

This is from Samsung:

Please be advised that you are NOT able to set your screen timeout to none, and that you CANNOT adjust the lockscreen timeout.

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/adjust-screen-timeout/
    Ouch! Why would they do that? Anyway it's Android, not Samsung, they can't stop the OS from doing something.

Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones