1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How do I make the phone remember my address?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rockworthy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Rockworthy

Rockworthy Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Hello Android forum! I just bought my very first Android handset: the mighty Samsung Galaxy S II. I've had it for a few days now and I totally am in love with it. However, here's my problem: My apps keep thinking that I am in my old town still (I lived 400 miles away from where I am now). Sure I can go in and update each app's address/location settings, but where can I tell the phone where I live now so that this doesn't keep happening? It was happening on my iPhone (the phone I upgraded from) too. When I bought the SGS2 I transferred my SIM card from the iPhone. I was thinking my old address was saved on the SIM card somewhere maybe... Can anyone help? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Turn your gps on.

3. Rockworthy

Rockworthy Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Yep, it was on the whole time. It doesn't check the GPS for some reason. You'd think it would but it's using a saved address somewhere. My computer is doing it too. Maybe it's a cookie saved on my desktop? Whenever I try to look at a google map for something like "chinese food" on Google Maps, the results come back from my previous address, 400 miles away. Why would that be? I don't see any area in my Google Account settings to enter in my current address either.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I don't know about the computer, but if you're using Wifi at home, try turning it off. I've seen others report that their location is misreported after they move due to Google's use of Wifi proximity to supplement GPS in determining your location.

5. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    As I heard, Google uses also saved WiFi locations from Google Street View project.

So maybe it will helps if - outside your building - you'll turn on mobile data and GPS, and WiFi off like UncleMike said.

Harry