• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How Do I Mount EXT On Bootup.

i flashed it without doing that, and it seems to work, the only thing i cant find is the apps2sd gui that you guys show in the pcture

i was wrong it did not copy scripts

maybe these mount statements will work in the update script

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/stl12", "/system");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/stl14", "/cache");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/stl13", "/data");

Upvote 0
i'll second that motion...quite excited...on hroark's ext4 rom..clean odin flash then ext4 cache and a fresh format of sd-ext at 2.0 gigs...flashed the new DT script...happy to report it's working like a charm and TB is reporting accurate numbers so far

edit: umm... i did have to mount everything manually though

Upvote 0
i'll second that motion...quite excited...on hroark's ext4 rom..clean odin flash then ext4 cache and a fresh format of sd-ext at 2.0 gigs...flashed the new DT script...happy to report it's working like a charm and TB is reporting accurate numbers so far

yea i dont think the mount script was included... they just got it up & working

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Mines Mounted Automatically.. I Thought That Was Left Out But It Wasnt...

Upvote 0
seems to have moved dalvik-cache no problem

zipalign reports working also although i don't know how to check that

yea i havent really checked it fully.. just was checking if it would work on all the formats.. tried it on stock ee14 HK & it works, than shabbyrom with hk.. works theres also. even with cache on ext4.. also tried on shabby with rc1 kernel... works there also.. so its working good so far with the edits & with both kernels.....

as long as u mount like u said thru CWM

thats good that dalvik is moving... was what i was trying 2 do.... some good work...

Upvote 0
this works better on rfs than ext4 rom.
i duplicated the same set of apps on both file systems and got a lot more free space on the ee14,HK,CWM3,rfs version than the all ext4 rom.

same system (w/shabby 0.9 and royal android 4.1) and 38 user apps installed left 65MB free on ext4, 83 MB free on rfs.

I suppose some of that is the journaling but the difference seems too large for just that. maybe cluster size can be changed or not all parts of /data are moving? i'll test some more later but maybe someone else can see if they get the same results.

Upvote 0
i duplicated the same set of apps on both file systems and got a lot more free space on the ee14,HK,CWM3,rfs version than the all ext4 rom.

same system (w/shabby 0.9 and royal android 4.1) and 38 user apps installed left 65MB free on ext4, 83 MB free on rfs.

I suppose some of that is the journaling but the difference seems too large for just that. maybe cluster size can be changed or not all parts of /data are moving? i'll test some more later but maybe someone else can see if they get the same results.
Actually something I too noticed just running the ext4 version. even after customizing all my data and system the way I want I still seemed to use almost 2x as much space. in both system and data.

Upvote 0

was there any differemce in speed between the two

RFS is Sumsungs files system, I think if we are ever gonna get Cyanogen or some other non Samsung ROM it will probabally have to be, ext2 or ext4

between ext2 and ext4, i think the ext4 with journaling will be a lot more stable, and if we are able to use apps2sd, space will not be as much as an issue as it is with just using internel memory

Upvote 0
was there any differemce in speed between the two

RFS is Sumsungs files system, I think if we are ever gonna get Cyanogen or some other non Samsung ROM it will probabally have to be, ext2 or ext4

between ext2 and ext4, i think the ext4 with journaling will be a lot more stable, and if we are able to use apps2sd, space will not be as much as an issue as it is with just using internel memory

I don't notice any speed differences! seemed OK! ill check it out. can ext2 have journaling?

Upvote 0
can ext2 have journaling?
no i dont think so

if you look at the custom ROMS for other phones, it seems that most of them are using ext2/4

i have no attachment to ext4, i made a test rom with it to see how it would perform, some people left feedback, but a lot of people did not

some of the people that did leave feedback, said it seemed faster

i think the ext2 would probably be a bit faster since there is no journaling, but there would probably be more file corruption

Upvote 0
the ext rom "feels" like it's loading apps more quickly even though i have no hard data on it. it definitely booted more quickly in this scenario. by about 25 seconds, actually, so the performance boost is more than just a perception.
how can i put the /system, /cache and /data in ext2 and see how that works out?

edit: guess that's why you gave those repack instructions. haven't had time to install that ubuntu yet but i'm looking forward to. i'm a mechanic by trade so this is worlds away from my everyday but i like the brain stretching.

Upvote 0
no i dont think so

if you look at the custom ROMS for other phones, it seems that most of them are using ext2/4

i have no attachment to ext4, i made a test rom with it to see how it would perform, some people left feedback, but a lot of people did not

some of the people that did leave feedback, said it seemed faster

i think the ext2 would probably be a bit faster since there is no journaling, but there would probably be more file corruption
If, and this is a big if, these ext2-4 are the same as actual linux file systems, ext2 is slower, and no journaling which as you say can lead to file corruption especially on a device that gets turned off with no notice.
ext3 has journaling and from what little i remember its faster then ext2 ext4 is newer, and from the conflicting reports I have heard its faster yet and it has better journaling, but I have also heard its slower, but it could be just implementation.

As to your kernel yup faster, an stable however using all the system space and deleting davlik cache just cause it to come back with more space used.

Started with system with 10mbs free, and data 80mb free but with just a small change system was under 5mbs free and data went from 80 to 45mb free just by clearing davlik and rebooting.:(

Upvote 0
the ext rom "feels" like it's loading apps more quickly even though i have no hard data on it. it definitely booted more quickly in this scenario. by about 25 seconds, actually, so the performance boost is more than just a perception.
how can i put the /system, /cache and /data in ext2 and see how that works out?

edit: guess that's why you gave those repack instructions. haven't had time to install that ubuntu yet but i'm looking forward to. i'm a mechanic by trade so this is worlds away from my everyday but i like the brain stretching.

u can try the same way thru init.d script...
#!/system/bin/sh
#
# bind mount /data/local/download to /cache/download if cache
# partition is too small
#

CACHESIZE=$(df -k /cache | tail -n1 | tr -s ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f2)
if [ $CACHESIZE -lt 20000 ]
then
mount -o bind /data/local/download /cache/download
fi

rm /cache/download/downloadfile*.apk >/dev/null 2>&1

exit 0
i use this code... 4 cache not sure about data... but maybe u can switch this up 2 do the same thing for data... mounts the cache & links it 2 cache/download. then removes the download file when u download a app...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones