• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Good is the 3D?

The 3d is a decent feature. When you get a good 3d pic/vid it can be pretty cool. I enjoy the depth and how some images pop when viewed in 3D. I don't think it is a gimmick at all. It is one more thing to brag about, and serves as a conversation piece if anything.

When it comes to eye strain, at first my eyes and brain didn't know how to deal. I could not watch the Green hornet movie, or play spiderman for more than 10 minutes at a time. But after a week or so, I magically just got used to it somehow and now it doesn't make me feel weird at all.

Upvote 0
Actually, there is a setting that allows you to change the distance between the 2 cameras post photo. I've cleaned up some nice 3D pictures doing this, relieving a lot of eye strain. I've not tried this on 3D videos though.

Wow, having played extensively with the phone and the 3D feature in particular, and I NEVER noticed this setting. Thanks for the lead!

Ok, here's how you get to it:

1) Go view a 3D pic you've taken.
2) Tap anywhere on your pic
3) a row of options appear at the bottom edge. tap the magic wand (2nd from left)
4) Choose "Adjust 3D alignment"
5) left button makes the subject come toward you more; right button makes the image have more depth beyond the screen. Hold the button of your choice to get the images to adjust
6) relax your eyes and try both buttons until you find that spot where the 3D is most comfortable.

Note, a well-composed 3D shot will feel best right where it was taken. But then you can use this tool to give your photo even more depth, at the risk of introducing more eye strain for some people.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
If people would just stop spend time worrying about the 3d feature, and more about how awesome this device really is... Sprint and HTC wouldn't have made this premature decision. But anyhow, I will continue to cherish mine until...

I've been saying the same thing all year... When people ask what to get and I recommend the e3d they always say they have no use for 3d on a phone. No one can seem to understand that the 3d is just a very small feature of this phone. I'm going to have to blame it on a bad marketing scheme. So many people think the phone is 3d all the time. In truth the only time I ever even use it is to either show off the phone or to record things for work where I need to see depth in the picture. The sad thing is now that it has "failed" there probably won't be any more development of 3d in phones anymore. Even though I don't use it very often I'm glad it's there.

Reactions: PittsPgh
Upvote 0
Yep it was just a feature that never flew, the phone is great without the 3D and you are correct they should have marketed the phone differently, but hey we are talking about Sprint, they don't always do things the traditional way anyways. :thrasher:

I've been saying the same thing all year... When people ask what to get and I recommend the e3d they always say they have no use for 3d on a phone. No one can seem to understand that the 3d is just a very small feature of this phone. I'm going to have to blame it on a bad marketing scheme. So many people think the phone is 3d all the time. In truth the only time I ever even use it is to either show off the phone or to record things for work where I need to see depth in the picture. The sad thing is now that it has "failed" there probably won't be any more development of 3d in phones anymore. Even though I don't use it very often I'm glad it's there.

Upvote 0
I don't see the 3D feature as a failure. It's just too early. When one 3D TV standard is reached and is even somewhat mainstream, I bet we'll see more 3D phones. 3D is just evolving too fast right now for anything to really catch hold. Give it a few years, then we might see more 3D smartphones.

As for the Evo 3D itself being discontinued, I bet it has more to do with the Evo 3D being able to handle the 800 MHz band that EarlyMon was talking about in the ICS thread. I bet Sprint really just wants to discontinue all of the older handsets, and people who can't get the new bands would upgrade (probably) if it meant they could get higher speeds. Where as the Evo 3D will still work and people wouldn't have to buy the latest/greatest, and thus not paying down their cost for bringing in new phones.

Upvote 0
I don't see the 3D feature as a failure. It's just too early. When one 3D TV standard is reached and is even somewhat mainstream, I bet we'll see more 3D phones. 3D is just evolving too fast right now for anything to really catch hold. Give it a few years, then we might see more 3D smartphones.

The stereoscopic era of motion pictures began in the late 1890s when British film pioneer William Friese-Greene filed a patent for a 3D movie process.

How much longer do you think it with take? :p J/K :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones