• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How important is root to you?

kishin14

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Having now had the phone for nearly a month, it has been almost everything I expected my next phone to be. I've not had a single issue with overheating, bootlooping or any other issues others seemed to have encountered.

That's not to say that the phone's been perfect. I don't like the fact that there's no option to manually turn of the soft key lights. I also realized that once you sent up a gmail account using the stock email app, you CANNOT delete it w/o doing a factory reset. But all my issues are rather minor ones like this.

The common theme is that everything that bothers me about the phone can be fixed with root. But there's the rub since we don't have root yet. For the first month I had the rezound, I was so enamored with its screen, smaller form factor, beats audio and other cool things that not having root didn't really bother me. But it's beginning to now a little bit. I guess, I'm just too much of a tinkerer not to have a rooted phone. I like being able to debloat, change my system font, customize my status bar, flash custom roms, etc.

Just to give you some idea of how important root is to me, I'm now considering trading the rezound in for the GNex. Honestly, I could careless about ICS, NFC, the Super-Amoled screen or any of the other things the GNex has. And I know the size will be an issue. For comparison, I went to check out the LG Nitro on AT&T, which is almost identical in size to the GNex (same width and nearly the same thickness) and shares a very (and I mean very) similar form factor. It's a big phone for sure. The GNex is 1 and a half mm taller, which makes it even bigger. I don't know if I can handle the size. But it's rootable right now.

As I wrote in another post, I'll definitely check out the GNex when it drops. But since I have until January 15 to exchange, I'm in no rush to do so just yet. My hope is that a method for perm-root will be out by then.

Like I said, I love the rezound very much. I've championed this phone since the first day I had it. It's a quality device that has done everything I've thrown at it. For anyone who doesn't care about rooting, I think it's the best device on verizon and that includes the GNex. But I never realized how much I'd miss root and really don't want to be stuck with a phone that is unrootable.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I guess I'm on the other side of that spectrum. I've never rooted. I've never jail broken my ipod touch either. I see some neat things that can be done but not neat enough for me to go ahead and root. I think it's cool people are owning there more and more often locked down devices and enjoy reading about it but to put it bluntly, it's just my phone. I have otherthings to entertain me and even though bloatware bothers me it's just doest seem to be worth the hassle.

Reactions: kishin14
Upvote 0
I guess I'm a bit in between. For me this is also just a tool but I do use it a lot and I get bothered by bloat-ware. Actually when I think about it this is more than a phone, its a highly integrated communication and PDA device.

I like having more personalized customization and I hate junk-ware. The htc UI is great but Verizon stuff is mostly crap-ware and marketing. I will probably root the phone to get rid of the junk and do some personal productivity mods. Now, I actually tend to keep a phone for awhile if it becomes a really efficient tool and I think that rooting will help accomplish this. I'll probably wait until it gets ICS though and see what that upgrade will do.

Upvote 0
Still on an OG Droid, but watching for deals on the Rezound (like a BOGO), so weigh it appropriately.
Root for me is a requirement for my phone. MyBackup Root copies apps and their data files and is free. Wifi Tether needs root access as well. And the big thing for me is really the ability to make nandroid backups of my phone. These backups are like ghost images of your phone. With my phone, once I customize it I never want to have to start from scratch again, so I can make incremental backups. Plus, if my phone ever was replaced, I could restore it back again without having to make sure everything was lined up *just* right.

Like others have said, root is usually the domain of tech geeks, hackers, and people who just can't leave a phone good enough alone (I'm willing to admit it :p). However if you are intelligent enough to be able to browse the web and never have a virus downloaded, and only minor malware (viscious cookie level) hit you. You are observant enough to be able to use root access successfully.

If you require an anti-virus software and it often will come up with alarms about downloaded trojans and malware and such, I do advise to avoid root access. Most likely you will install an app that does something you didn't expect it to, and with root access, could cause you some stress and pain.

I hope this helps you decide, or possibly help you feel even better about your decision either way :)

Upvote 0
I'm going to throw out there that things like debloating via temporary root don't need to be programmers folly. I posted a tool I found on XDA for doing that job for you and you really only need to install drivers and unzip a file. So while having full root is wonderful for people like me that want to flash another ROM, having temp root helps out the people that want to stay stock, but also want the bloat gone.

[TOOL] - CleanTOOL 2.1.1 - 12/12 - The Relentless Pursuit of Clean! - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I'm going to throw out there that things like debloating via temporary root don't need to be programmers folly. I posted a tool I found on XDA for doing that job for you and you really only need to install drivers and unzip a file. So while having full root is wonderful for people like me that want to flash another ROM, having temp root helps out the people that want to stay stock, but also want the bloat gone.

[TOOL] - CleanTOOL 2.1.1 - 12/12 - The Relentless Pursuit of Clean! - xda-developers

Reactions: zazan
Upvote 0

Thanks. My second home (forum-wise) is xda so I'm familiar with this tool. And while it serves its purpose well, I want permanent superuser access.

I want to be able to rip apks using root explorer from my system folders so I can mod them. I want to be able to change my system font to sony sketch or roboto, which are my two favorite fonts. I want to be able to install HTC Hub so I can download and install more Sense themes than just the two the rezound comes with. I want to get rid of the recent apps listing that slows up the status bar pull down menu.

Again, I knew what I was getting into when I got the phone. I just had no idea how much I'd miss having superuser access.

Upvote 0
I want root so I can maximize customization. Mostly I like overclocking. I know, the Rezound is very fast (comparatively) out of the box. Imagine what it can do at 2Ghz ! Rooting also allows complete backup (and subsequent restores) which I find desirable when phone OS's go cuckoo and lose all your data. But also I'm a computer geek and I like playing with computers, customizing them to do all sorts of unnatural things.

Upvote 0
I purchased the ReZound because in my opinion it was the best piece of hardware available. I'm currently using the clean tool Mr. Smith mentioned and I am root ready for the times I need wireless tether. Root is very important to me, but I believe like many others, it is a matter of "when" and not "if". So if that means to do without perma root a little while longer to know that I have the best equipment, I'll patently wait.

Upvote 0
I definitely want root, but I'm not willing to move to a phone that I know I won't like the form factor just to get it. I will wait until it is available for the Rezound because I really like this phone. I had one issue with boot loop the day after I got it, but nothing since then, it has been flawless. I will just be patient (which is not one of my strong suits, lol).

Upvote 0
I think root is good, but you need to be really into hacking, customizing, programming and stuff like that. If you're not a pal like this, Android becomes just another OS.

I disagree. While it does take some reading it wasn't hard at all on the incredible (flashing roms and nandroid backups). There is so much you can do with different roms its really incredible (yep pun intended). It's not just another OS becausr of all the stuff you can change and its not hard at all. I was the same way and it was like having a new phone every time i flashed a new rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones