• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how many are using live wallpapers

I tried Mario Live (brought back memories of early Nintendo) and lost all my shortcuts, widgets and bookmarks on all of my screens. Is this right? It's like I was starting from scratch. The guy at the Verizon store that was "normal" that a new wallpaper is like a whole new set up. That doesn't make sense; I've changed wallpapers on other phones and computers (who hasn't) and nothing changes except the background. I'm afraid to try it again as it was a pain re-doing the screens.
Save your 'scene' before you switch. Yhen no matter what you can go back to old setup
Plus live walls pause when the phone is asleep.

For those who feel they are too mature for live walls, check out substrate. I think you may change your mind.

Dl'd that on your suggestion day ago or so.... Damn it is.... well there's not really a way to explain it, It draws you in.......

Upvote 0
If you have beautiful widgets, you need to download beautiful live wallpaper. It's pretty amazing. The background is what ever the weather is outside, if its rainy then its raining on your screen, cloudy then clouds on your screen. It's cool.

Sounds like the sense weather widget, cept it ends after a few seconds. Which is fine by me. Not a huge fan of live's but will F w/ them ever once and a while

Upvote 0
I like live wallpapers. I change it around a lot, I use starfield a lot, but occasionally another one when I'm bored (water, grass, flying toast [that brings one me back], Droid X eye, Nexus Mod (well some variant on Nexus, not sure which one) ). I can a test that most of these have no significant battery drain.

And also really like being able to use maps live wallpaper. That can be very useful if your trying to get around somewhere unfamiliar (or are just board in the car, and not driving).

Does anyone have a weather wallpaper that you'd recommend (preferably free :) )? Or anything else that's actually useful?

Upvote 0
I did this and turned of moblie/3g when not using 3g and it made my battery go from lasting 6 hrs to over 24 hrs.
quick question. when u say you turn off 3g is that in the wireless settings where it says mobile internet? I made use a widget for that and wireless and usually keep it off unless I am using it and my battery life is a lot better. The first night i had my dinc I went to bed and it had 80%. Left the wifi on and woke up next morning with a dead battery i was like wooow that sucks but i just leave it off now. Sorry to rant off topic btw..
But I do use the nexus live wallpaper on the dinc

Upvote 0
I really like Live Wallpaper. I'm old-ish and I still use 'em. Maybe it's because I'm still wowed by smart phones because of the bricks I used to use in my youth :)

Anyway, I've always wondered if the ones that are bundled with Sense (or any Android phone for that matter) are better optimized than the ones you install from the market because they're tied up properly with all the system files? It could just be good vs bad programing of course.

I like Seeds of Life, and I like Nexus Revamped PRO with all its cool options. I try a lot of the different live wallpapers from the Market, but admittedly, only a handful stay installed. I still really like the plain black and white option (and some of the other colors) from Magic Smoke. It never bogs down the phone either.

Upvote 0
Anyway, I've always wondered if the ones that are bundled with Sense (or any Android phone for that matter) are better optimized than the ones you install from the market because they're tied up properly with all the system files? It could just be good vs bad programing of course.

I like Seeds of Life, and I like Nexus Revamped PRO with all its cool options. I try a lot of the different live wallpapers from the Market, but admittedly, only a handful stay installed. I still really like the plain black and white option (and some of the other colors) from Magic Smoke. It never bogs down the phone either.

I assumed it's just good v. bad programming. Maybe a little optimization going on, but very little benefit from that.

Upvote 0
I use live wallpapers for the majority of the time. I have about forty that I rotate through. I love it when one of my friends who has an iPhone asks what my phone is doing and I tell them that it's a live wallpaper. And then they say, "My phone doesn't do that." I say back to them, "Let me show what else your phone doesn't do". I've even converted a few over to the Light side of the Force.

Upvote 0
If live wallpapers eat battery or cause the phone to be sluggish it is either trying to do to much or the code isn't optimized. I am working for a company starting to get into some live wallpapers, first one should be out in august, it is simple but fun and development has started on 5 other more complex ones now since alot of the code from the first simple one is so optimized now. I really didn't know how much time and optimization live wallpapers actually take to run great.
so i am running alot of live wallpapers that are either beta code or early alpha code and i haven't had one eat more than 2% of the battery (the beta ones are eating less than 1%) and absolutly zero lag. the second one should be alot of fun but looks like it might have slipped making it onto the market before september.

kind of fun side projects. takes away from the grind of working on mobile games.

Reactions: EgoDogg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones