• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many of you are rooted? Roms?

danaj

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2010
Tucson, Az
I was just wondering how many of you are rooted, and are you using any roms? I rooted my My touch 4g slide, but I am still running the stock rom. I did delete bloatware, and changed boot animation and splash screen and other stuff. I tried a few roms, but I like the modified stock rom for now. On previous phones I always used cyanogen mod 6 or 7. CM7 for my current phone is awesome, but the camera software sucks compared to stock, and I lose my T.V. out capability, so that is a deal breaker....So tell me your experiences.:)

Rooted my Inspire 4g the day i got it (as soon as i got home :p)

I've played with sense based roms and cm7/miui until i could find one i liked. Sense isn't bad but it's just not for me. Miui is also nice, great themeing system and other little neat features. But i don't care for the iOS like launcher and usine endg another launcher just doesn't make it feel right. There nice but i get bored with them :).

So in the end my rom of choice is cm7. All the work that the cm7 devs do just gives me an greater appreciation for the project. I like how they sort of work like an linux distro.Plus the nightlies give me my flashing fix :). Also just love stock android and cm7 is the closest i can get unless i got a Nexus.

Upvote 0
Yes definitely, i always have to root every device i get. Cyanogen is by far my favorite rom, but it always tends to have a ton of bugs. So lately I have been running modified versions of CM7 because they are typically the most stable for my Nexus S.

There are just so many features I can't live without on stock Android. Especially Theme Chooser, that's what Google really needs to incorporate into the stock OS.

Upvote 0
I've only had my phone for a couple months is this is my first smartphone. I'm debating on if I should root it or not. I think i'll wait a long, long time, mainly because I don't even know what rooting is. I have an idea, but that is not enough of a reason to start messing with my phone, especially since I finally have it the way I like it!

If someone can give me a quick example and why, how, what rooting is that would be great. Until then I'm happy with my phone the way it is now :)

I hope the droid x2 will support ICS~@!

Upvote 0
Rooted with CM7. My last phone I had longer than a few weeks was my Droid X. That was the first phone I rooted and tried a few different ROMs, but mainly used apex, if I remember correctly.

Tomorrow I get my GS2 from sprint. I will definitely root for call blocking, screen shot, AdFree, tether, etc but I think I will stick with the stock ROM for a while. I want to at least give TouchWiz a try even though I hate overlays. But I do want to keep Sprint TV and try out the Samsung Media Hub thing.

Upvote 0
I am one of the very few, and therefore very special, who is NOT rooted!

Yay!

Yes on here the results will be more rooted users. In reality rooted users are actually a very small percentage though. A lot of my friends have Android phones, and I have a hard enough time explaining everything their phone can do without rooting it...

Upvote 0
Yes on here the results will be more rooted users. In reality rooted users are actually a very small percentage though. A lot of my friends have Android phones, and I have a hard enough time explaining everything their phone can do without rooting it...

I don't think that is all that true, sure in some of the higher traffic areas of the site it seems like more rooted users are there but in the device forums it seems like the non rooted users outnumber rooted users by quite a bit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones