• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how much data do you use?

So to clarify - apps can (and do) use data to run? Does it say anywhere (or how can you tell) which apps are using data?

I was curious so I checked out my family plan's data for our 2 Incredibles. I use mine fairly heavily (or so I thought) and am at 117 mb. My fiance is at 1242 mb or 2 gb already. I have more apps downloaded than he does and he doesn't seem to use his phone nearly as much! Could it be an app running?

Not that it really matters, but all this chatter about AT&T restricting their data plans just made us wonder where the data goes! When I told him the numbers he was shocked and we're both just confused and curious!

when you install an app, it tells you precisely what functions of the phone it can use.

I wouldn't worry, even if Verizon changes its data plan structuring, you're "grandfathered" into an unlimited data plan as long as you don't change any features on the plan.

And honestly, it doesn't matter how many apps are installed, but what kinds.

A streaming radio service like Pandora sucks down data like a hoover where a game might not use data at all.

If you're paying your $30 / mo for unlimited data, there is no cause for alarm.

Reactions: alison03
Upvote 0
Any data communication to and from a Blackberry is sent thru RIMs servers, where it is compressed, stripped, "optimized" for the handset. They are all about controlling flows of data. For instance, emails that are 15 replies long, may fully load on your Dinc, but on a BB it won't show it all unless requested. Same with Web, not all content is delivered. Especially video content. So it is normal to see increased data usage simply by switching phones. How much of an increase? Well that's beyond my knowledge.

that makes A LOT of sense!!! Thanks!

Upvote 0
when you install an app, it tells you precisely what functions of the phone it can use.

I wouldn't worry, even if Verizon changes its data plan structuring, you're "grandfathered" into an unlimited data plan as long as you don't change any features on the plan.

And honestly, it doesn't matter how many apps are installed, but what kinds.

A streaming radio service like Pandora sucks down data like a hoover where a game might not use data at all.

If you're paying your $30 / mo for unlimited data, there is no cause for alarm.

I see. Yeah I mean we pay for it so we may as well use it! :D

We were just stunned. I mean of the 'family' I'm the heavy internet/phone techy person (he didn't even have an email until we met lol) so when we saw the numbers I was stunned and so was he! We are just assuming it's an app he has since he has only used the internet a handful of times since we bought the phones. He doesn't stream music or anything, but has a few games, Google Earth, and I think he has a tv app or something so that could be it.

Upvote 0

We were just stunned. I mean of the 'family' I'm the heavy internet/phone techy person (he didn't even have an email until we met lol) so when we saw the numbers I was stunned and so was he! We are just assuming it's an app he has since he has only used the internet a handful of times since we bought the phones. He doesn't stream music or anything, but has a few games, Google Earth, and I think he has a tv app or something so that could be it.

Google earth is pretty data hungry and if he has some form of streaming tv / video app, that would pull a ton of data as well.

I would like to say on behalf of Android Forums, "Both of you, Welcome to the Android revolution, we have Donuts(and Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread)"

Upvote 0

Yeah, it's not so much "how many?", but "which ones?".

Anything streaming video is going to be using lots of data. Google Earth downloads lots of data too. All those graphics are being downloaded from the web. So those two apps alone could be using more data than using gmail 12 hours a day.

That being said ANY app that provides you with any sort of information from the outside world is using your data connection. Email, weather, news, chat, etc. Any apps that have advertisements are pulling them from the web too, so even apps that don't seem to have any "live data" updates could be using the web. MANY of the "free" apps on the Market are ad-supported.

As was mentioned, you're on an unlimited plan so it's nothing to worry about now. But being aware of it is worthwhile. Someday unlimited data may not be an option so it would be wise to have a handle on how much data you're using and why for future reference.

Upvote 0
Google earth is pretty data hungry and if he has some form of streaming tv / video app, that would pull a ton of data as well.

I would like to say on behalf of Android Forums, "Both of you, Welcome to the Android revolution, we have Donuts(and Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread)"

Ahhh that makes sense. I don't have those apps but am on the internet a lot. Never realized they can use so much data but it all makes sense now! And thanks for the welcome! It's nice here!! :)

Yeah, it's not so much "how many?", but "which ones?".

Anything streaming video is going to be using lots of data. Google Earth downloads lots of data too. All those graphics are being downloaded from the web. So those two apps alone could be using more data than using gmail 12 hours a day.

That being said ANY app that provides you with any sort of information from the outside world is using your data connection. Email, weather, news, chat, etc. Any apps that have advertisements are pulling them from the web too, so even apps that don't seem to have any "live data" updates could be using the web. MANY of the "free" apps on the Market are ad-supported.

As was mentioned, you're on an unlimited plan so it's nothing to worry about now. But being aware of it is worthwhile. Someday unlimited data may not be an option so it would be wise to have a handle on how much data you're using and why for future reference.

Thank you for that info, that definitely makes sense. My jaw literally hit the floor when I saw his data usage, mainly out of confusion haha. Neither one of us could imagine how that was possible. :D And yeah, exactly what was in my brain...we just wanted to be aware of what we are doing and what eats up data etc just in case things changed with Verizon's data plan in the future.

Upvote 0
I switched from ATT and the Iphone. I'm using way more data than with the iPhone. I sure hope Verizon doesn't cap it.

What is the current cap on verizon? Is there a 5 GB limit or is it unlimited?

With ATT, I had poor coverage at home, at all my friends and family's houses. And outside the city there's no 3g at all. Basically I couldn't use ATT data anywhere useful.

With Verizon I get awesome 3g coverage everywhere. And the phone is much more powerful. With multitasking, I can be downloading big videos while surfing or doing other things. I was just on vacation with no WiFi available. I found that I could use 1 GB a day without trying too hard. Streaming a couple hours of video a night chews up lots of data quick.

Upvote 0
I've used 2.5GB and the cycle this month is over for me as of today. But.. I only had a chance to use the phone for not even half the month since I was on vacation and didn't have a signal where I was. I can see breaking 5GB pretty easily. I can't wait until I start getting mail from Verizon because of their 'unlimited' data plan..

Upvote 0
I've used 2.5GB and the cycle this month is over for me as of today. But.. I only had a chance to use the phone for not even half the month since I was on vacation and didn't have a signal where I was. I can see breaking 5GB pretty easily. I can't wait until I start getting mail from Verizon because of their 'unlimited' data plan..

The 5gb is the limit for tethering / mobile cell card for laptop limit.

Phones have no limit. I have a friend who legitimately does 8gb per month on his droid and Verizon has never said anything in about 6 months.

They only go after you if you are tethering without a proper tethering plan, and even then, you have to have an unusually high download amount in the first place for them to investigate if its mobile traffic or laptop traffic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones