• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Often do You Pray?

How Often do You Pray?

• Never

Votes: 51 65.4%
  • Only at meals as a formality

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Seldom, only in an emergency

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Often, I seek guidance regularly

Votes: 20 25.6%

• Total voters
Ok, I used to be agnostic and in some aspects I still am a little bit.. but I got to thinking, if I kinda think there may be one, wouldn't I be better off actually just giving in and really believe there is? I mean, let's say that Christianity is dead on, and we live border line and only pray when we are in trouble and the rest of the time just blow it off, and we died while on the fence about it, once we get to eternal damnation and try to pray to get us out of that, it'll be to late. I really don't understand the downfall to having a set religion or prayer. Its kinda like having a gun or condom, its best to have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry Truman

Upvote 0
Ok, I used to be agnostic and in some aspects I still am a little bit.. but I got to thinking, if I kinda think there may be one, wouldn't I be better off actually just giving in and really believe there is? I mean, let's say that Christianity is dead on, and we live border line and only pray when we are in trouble and the rest of the time just blow it off, and we died while on the fence about it, once we get to eternal damnation and try to pray to get us out of that, it'll be to late. I really don't understand the downfall to having a set religion or prayer. Its kinda like having a gun or condom, its best to have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.

If that's what you feel is best for you, all the more power to you. :) For me, there's not enough evidence to support Christianity or any other religion for me to firmly believe in it. What I believe in are different principles from a whole host of religions. I believe that religion was written by men for men to govern their lives what they view is the "right" way. I will write my own for myself. I guess you can say I'm spiritual or non-denominational.

Upvote 0

If Christianity is spot on, and you die on the fence, wouldn't you be forgiven and not end up in hell?

I don't see how if there is a higher power they expect us to believe in them when there is no real solid proof of their existence in the first place. If its all real, then it seems they are more just playing games and testing us then anything.

Upvote 0
"Firm believers" don't seek or need evidence. If Christianity could be proven, faith would not be relevant and thus the entire foundation of the religion would collapse.
Wouldn't it be the exact opposite? If Christianity could be proven as fact, I would be praying 3 times daily as would almost everyone in the world.

I believe I see what you are saying "faith" is believing in something that may not be true or giving the benefit of the doubt. But faith is also having faith in something real, like having faith in your president.

Upvote 0
Faith is what we all have in things we either have no proof of because we're not educated in that particular thing (the power grid, space technology, food processing, a foreign language, etc) or things we cannot truly prove at all, such as a deity or our spouse's fidelity; we accept those things on faith.

Christianity requires it as the central point of Jesus rising from being dead, defeating death after having died on the cross for the sins of every human being.

That's quite a leap of faith to swallow and none of it is provable. If it were, then faith would not be necessary and we'd be debating not that it happened but whether or not we give a darn.

Upvote 0
Ok, I used to be agnostic and in some aspects I still am a little bit.. but I got to thinking, if I kinda think there may be one, wouldn't I be better
If Christianity is spot on, and you die on the fence, wouldn't you be forgiven and not end up in hell?

I don't see how if there is a higher power they expect us to believe in them when there is no real solid proof of their existence in the first place. If its all real, then it seems they are more just playing games and testing us then anything.
No, because in Christianity you have to pray for forgiveness. So if your on the fence and die, how would u be forgiven?

Upvote 0
Wouldn't Christianity was proven? Everybody would follow closely so that he or she would be destined for 'Heaven'?

As far as the people were concerned, yes; I'm sure people would line up to be "saved," now that Christianity has been (hypothetically) proven and that those people would spend the rest of their lives thinking that their souls were Heaven bound now that they had proof that Jesus was God incarnate and died for their sins.

However, according to the tenants of the Church, even the various protestant denominations as well as the Catholic church, etc, faith, and only faith through God's grace can bring a soul to salvation.

Once something is proven, faith vanishes. As an analogy, once an individual takes a course in electrical wiring, his or her previous faith that the appliances in his or her home would work at the flip of a switch, is replaced by the knowledge of whether or not the circuitry is sufficient and components are all properly installed for the voltages involved, etc. No faith needed.

That's fine for something physical like electrical wiring or auto mechanics, but for Christianity faith is central to salvation, not knowledge and especially not proof of anything at all.

Upvote 0
Yeah well, if it were proven.. wait, if you ask any true Christian any thing like that, and they would tell you that it already has been proven, the Bible is one thing that proves it, and the feeling they got is all the proof they need. The knowledge that after death is eternal salvation and not eternal damnation.

Upvote 0
Yeah well, if it were proven.. wait, if you ask any true Christian any thing like that, and they would tell you that it already has been proven, the Bible is one thing that proves it, and the feeling they got is all the proof they need. The knowledge that after death is eternal salvation and not eternal damnation.

I'm surprised nobody has stated the obvious about this "proven Christianity" schema we've been bantering about. ;)

What's the obvious? The obvious is that these things cannot be proven and that fact is between every line and every letter of definition of "religion."

That's the point of religion, beyond the elements which reflect culture and heritage: to form a belief system which is not provable and thus is not debunkable; if the priest or minister or person who wrote the religion's scripture says it is true, it is taken on faith as true by the faithful. A shameful statement about humanity, when you think about it, and most of humanity does it.

Things that can be proven are hard science which have stood the test of replication and solid research from every aspect.. it's an ongoing thing as new facts are discovered from time to time, but each step along the way is not taken anew until the current data is proven.

Religion does no such thing. Churches collect artifacts and sayings, some written and some "tradition," but beyond assigning those sayings and artifacts their place in the faith, there is no effort to prove their gods, miracles or basic tenants; they don't need that effort, faith takes care of that.

Upvote 0
Wow! As I've read these posts my heart has been saddened again and again. We have a heavenly Father who not only created this world in which we get to enjoy life, but then also sent his only son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins so that once we have enjoyed our life here we can go on to enjoy our eternity in an even better place, heaven! I don't have time this morning, I'm on my way to church, to "preach a sermon" but folks God does love you and he certainly wants to be your Saviour (nope it's not spelled incorrectly). It is a faith thing, "expect ye become as a little child" and no, you shouldn't use prayer as your "spare tire" but rather as your "steering wheel", using it all the time. Unfortunately too many people were raised with either no belief in God or a lackadaisical attitude of only acting like they believe in him so others around them or their parents would be impressed. I was raised in church, but with a very hypocritical stepfather (a pervert at home). It would have been very easy to get mad at God and walk away from him but you know what I learned? We give all the "credit" to God, but never give any of the credit to Satan. If you check him out, you'll find his number one job is to deceive you and ultimately ruin your life. Give him some of the credit. God wants only what is best for us, but he created each of with his own free will to choose and does not force himself on us, as is very evident with the many posts on here concerning this subject. But, please allow me to remind you once again, that no matter where you stand in your life God does love you and Jesus Christ did die on the cross for you and is ready, always, with open arms to give you the free gift of salvation if you simply ask him. If anyone cares to talk more about this please feel free to send me a private message.

Oh yes, how often do I pray? Several times a day, because I know he's the only one who can really help in every situation and I love him and usually we want to talk often to the people we love.

God bless you and open your eyes to his love for you!

Upvote 0
Ok but how else do u explain our existence? The big bang theory and evolution? Neither of those can be proven either. So by your statements, since they can't be proven and yet people still believe in them, they must be religion to?

If we want to explain our existence and to assign a meaning to our own lives as individuals in the world, we can do that. We may also be able to do that with a few people around us who are close and well known to us.

But to attempt to do that same thing to people we don't know, let alone to humanity in general and then to all life everywhere, is to engage in an exercise of absurdity, unless we are seeking to find specific origins of species and all that form the biological make up of individuals in those species; that is science, not religion.

Some like to back away from all of that and imagine a creative entity, again not provable or debunkable, on faith; they'll declare evolution a tool of God. I like that. It's fun and a great way to relax about it all and stop investigating.

But if you can do that, you can declare evolution a tool of Santa Claus; again, not provable or debunkable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones