• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Change bootup/shutdown animations and sounds

So I have searched and searched, but I cannot find anywhere people have sounds for boot up or shutdown. I would love to see what people have out there, and searching the web for sound fx just doesnt reveal anything I want. i really would like a start up sound kind of like the voodoo install voices, telling you initializing and doing this and doing that...obviously not accurate but just some cool sounds that do that. I havent found anything like that anywhere...anyone able to help?

Try zedge.net or the zedge mobile app, they have random alert sounds that you may be able to download and turn into a sound for boot up/shutdown.

quick question... wat if i have an animated JPG file can i also use it as a boot animation? or doi have to convert the animation to AVI or wat? Thanx...

i just rooted my samsung fascinate, but still running the stock 2.1 OS

So, all you have done is rooted? If so, I don't believe you'll be able to do any custom animations until you are on a kernel that supports them (which the stock kernel doesn't).

In terms of an animated JPG (or is it a .gif file?); if there is a way to break the JPG down into each frame, with each frame being a separate JPG file, then I imagine it MAY work if you did that. The animations are produced from a compressed .zip file though (depending on whether it's boot up or shutdown), and all the ones I have seen and worked on have had .png files, not JPG. So I don't know if JPG files would work, not having tried them. Even if you could break it down, you would have to reorder the files in the appropriate order. Also, I believe there is a limit to how many separate files it will read for each animation. After all that, you would then compress it into a .zip file.

I have never tried an animated file itself. The animations are produced by the phone when the phone reads separate picture files in sucession, which (in effect) produces an animated image. By simply sticking one file that is already animated in the folder on the phone that houses the animation files, I don't know that it would be able to produce an image since it's technically trying to read a file that is foreign to that process of producing a boot up or shutdown animation.

Hopefully that novel I wrote helps, if you finished reading it :D

Upvote 0
I saw earlier that you had to replace the "PowerOn.wav" in system/etc to change the startup sound. I couldn't find "Poweron.wav" in either place as directed... Well for my Droid X whenever I turned it on, you would hear "Drooooid" indicating a plug-in of the SD card. To change this, you need to replace the original Droid.ogg in system/media/audio/notifications with a new .ogg file renamed "Droid.ogg" (And yes, if it is a .wav file you must convert) Now when I start up my phone I hear R2D2, this is also what you now hear when you plug in your USB and when it powers off.

You can also customize under text message settings a different R2 sound when receiving texts, under email settings you can change the notification to be another R2 sound, and also on Facebook notification settings. I have my phone sounding like an R2 unit in all kinds of ways. Pretty cool.

Upvote 0
YouTube - Samsung Fascinate Boot & Shutdown mod

Does anyone...ANYONE know where to get this ani both startup and shutdown with audio???? I GOTTA have it.

EDIT: I took lots of searching and testing and finding videos but I was finally able to find some that work perfectly...but it brings up a point...I do not have start up sounds. I am using ED01 from OTA and then the Comm Rom 1.3 patched. Is there something I am missing. Start up sound is saved as PowerOn.wav in the /system/etc

Upvote 0
EDIT: I took lots of searching and testing and finding videos but I was finally able to find some that work perfectly...but it brings up a point...I do not have start up sounds. I am using ED01 from OTA and then the Comm Rom 1.3 patched. Is there something I am missing. Start up sound is saved as PowerOn.wav in the /system/etc

Please post the animations and sounds. That way others from the forum can test and it will be available to those who may want it. FWIW, I tried changing my bootup sound not 10 minutes ago (I'm on the same ED01/ComRom 1.3) and it would not work according to the directions I have given. This leads me to believe perhaps it is just not possible to change the bootup sound with the method outlined in the first post when referring to the ComRom. If someone finds a work-around, please let me know as I will add it to the OP, thanks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So I have searched all over google and XDA and here and have not found an answer anywhere, so for sake of being flamed because I am bringing it up again...but Boot sounds (PowerOn.wav) on the Comm Rom 2.1 with the OTB 1.6 Kernel, has ANYONE figured out a way to get the sounds to work. I did find a set of steps that people were saying were working here boot animation sound file fix? - Page 2 - Android Forums But it did not work for me. So has anyone figured anything out at all for getting boot sounds to work?

Edit: I am wondering what people also think an option on page 1 of the above posted thread. Reverting to a Di01 Kernel, using the code string to make sure boot sounds are enabled and then reinstalling the proper kernel. I am thinking I am gonna try that, I will advise results....

Ok well I forgot about the whole Amend edify changes and cannot install a Dj05 kernel..and I am not going to go through all the changing cwr to make it work...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones