• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to change Kindle as default app for pdf files

Wrong ... That is NOT the answer.

I have been trying to stop Amazon Kindle from opening my PDF documents for months and there seems to be no way. For CLEAR DEFAULTS it says there are no defaults set. There are no permissions granted. there is NOTHING that indicates it is associated in any way with PDF documents.

My Kindle library is hard enough to manage without it also taking over my PDF documents.

Please provide a useful solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
So can you tell us a bit more about your device or setup? Because I just tested this, and for me it worked as expected:

* install Kindle app
* open a pdf - it asks what app to use, I select Kindle
* open another pdf - it asks again. This time I tell it to always use Kindle
* open a third pdf - it doesn't ask, just uses Kindle
* go to Settings > Apps, select Kindle, there are defaults set. Clear defaults.
* open a fourth pdf - it asks which app to use.

So it's not that the (5 year old) solution above is incorrect, but that your problem seems to have a different pathology, and hence probably a different cause. So that's what we need to work out, why your Kindle app is automatically opening PDFs without the default being set.

How do you open the PDFs? What other PDF-readers do you have installed? What happens if you install a new one (or uninstall and reinstall an old one)?

I ask these questions because of the way Android handles "intents". With no default set it should give a list of all apps capable of handling an intent (i.e. a particular action). If it doesn't, might it be that the app you are using to open the PDF is itself choosing to open it using Kindle, rather than go through the OS? Alternatively, adding a new app which can also handle the intent should prompt the system to ask again next time you try to open a PDF, even if a default is set.

Upvote 0
OK. I used to have a PDF reader on my old phone. Last November I got an Aristo with Android 7.0 installed.

When I went to open up a PDF file, I was offered the option to use Kindle, since that was all that I had at the time and it was time-critical information so I just used Kindle. But I don't like it for a number of reasons but mostly, It is slow.

Now I want to use another app to open it, but AMAZON KINDLE refuses to relinquish control. I go to the setup -> General -> Apps -> Amazon Kindle.
The only option of any consequence here is "Open by Default" which says "No defaults set. I click on it and there is a "Clear Defaults" button which is faded out and unclickable.

If I start the other app and open a PDF file, it's fine. But if I just click on the PDF file, Kindle starts up -- takes forever -- and opens, categorizes, and massages the file uselessly.

I have no other apps installed at this time to open the PDF file. I have uninstalled Kindle, and get the "no app to open this file" (even though I have installed a file manager that could handle it previously) If I reinstall a new app, it's fine. If I reinstall Kindle, it takes it right back and insists it is the app to open the PDF file.
I hope this is enough info. I have tried the Kindle forums and get no response from the community. I call Amazon on the phone and get transferred and put on hold until my phone rings and I take another call and then amazon hangs up.

Thanks

I just want to use another app without jumping through the hoops to open PDF File.

So can you tell us a bit more about your device or setup? Because I just tested this, and for me it worked as expected:

* install Kindle app

So it's not that the (5 year old) solution above is incorrect, but that your problem seems to have a different pathology, and hence probably a different cause. So that's what we need to work out, why your Kindle app is automatically opening PDFs without the default being set.

How do you open the PDFs? What other PDF-readers do you have installed? What happens if you install a new one (or uninstall and reinstall an old one)?

I ask these questions because of the way Android handles "intents". With no default set it should give a list of all apps capable of handling an intent (i.e. a particular action). If it doesn't, might it be that the app you are using to open the PDF is itself choosing to open it using Kindle, rather than go through the OS? Alternatively, adding a new app which can also handle the intent should prompt the system to ask again next time you try to open a PDF, even if a default is set.

Upvote 0
OK. I used to have a PDF reader on my old phone. Last November I got an Aristo with Android 7.0 installed.
. . .
I have no other apps installed at this time to open the PDF file

Similar problem with a tablet (Nexus 7, 2013 Kit Kat 4.4.4 - really old stuff). Had Google Play Books installed and File Manger +. Years later (now) added Kindle Reader App. Tried to stopped Kindle from opening PDFs - option to clear defaults was grayed out under >Settings >Apps >Amazon Kindle >Launch by Default.

Sure you don't have Google Books or another app that reads (may not actually open) PDFs?

I found that Google Play Books can defeat Kindle at opening PDFs. In Google Play Books tap 3 bars top left, then >Settings >Enable PDF uploading, and check the box. Then I needed to delete the PDF file, restart tablet, resend PDF (mail attachment) and Google Play Books asked if I wanted it or Kindle to ALWAYS Open, or JUST THIS TIME Open.

Works - No Kindle PDF interference.

Strange things though: My File Manager + does not show the PDF file in Downloads or Documents, but it's there somewhere (Google Books might file it away, hidden?) and the PDF opens clear, clean, darker text than it did in Kindle. AND, Kindle books under File Manager + shows 4 files, but in Kindle I have only 3 books which has always been the case.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Because I just tested this, and for me it worked as expected:

* install Kindle app

Thanks for this clear post. Getting the syrup by step helped me. On the xperia you can go settings> apps& notifications> advanced (default apps)> default apps, and this is NOT the right place. Go settings> apps& notifications> Amazon Kindle> open by default> defaults. It's pretty well buried, and unexpected for those of us who cut our teeth on 32 bit Windows, where there's a big list of file types along with their associated apps, rather than having to start with the app.

Upvote 0
Kindle app didn't have defaults to clear. Amazon Play Store app did. Now invoking pdf file brings up pdf reader not kindle reader.

So hard to find where to reset default apps.
Fire OS 5.6.8.0
Ah, yes, an Amazon Fire device will be different as well because it's an Amazon fork of Android and will differ in several respects from other people's Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones