• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[How-To] Force 2/2/2010 OTA Update

I have downloaded the update following the instructions on this forum, compressed the file ( I use a mac) renamed update.zip, placed it on the SD card of my N1 and followed the instructions on how to upload it in the phone:
1- switch the phone on pressing the trackball
2-boothloader
3-recovery
4-get the little droid with the triangle
5-press power+volume up

I get a yellow message on the screen that says: E: can't open/cache/recovery/command

I keep going anyway and press on : apply sdcard:update.zip

and that is what appears on the screen:

E: Can't open/cache/recovery/command
-- install from sd card...
Finding update package
Opening update package...
verifying update package...
E: signature verification failed

Installation aborted

Anyone can help me out in finding out what do I do wrong ?

If I go to setting>about phone on the firmware it says 2.1 update 1
and the build number is ERE27 but there is no update on the phone

Any one has any idea on how I can have this update forced on my phone? I am a new android user and still trying to figure out how it thinks :)

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi all, successfully updated to 2.2 and can I just say that it looks great so much smoother and seems to run faster but I have a small problem. After updating I can no longer use the browser just get the web page not available message and also I can no longer connect to a wireless network. I can however access the Market emails and use the wireless tether to connect other devices to the Internet which all works well, I don't really want to change the browser as I quite like the feel of it any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul. Oh and incase it matters I have a non rooted phone with the locked bootloader.

Upvote 0
The procedure:

1. obtain the update.zip file
2. reboot into the bootloader
3. select recovery
4. apply sdcard:update.zip

Specifics

Obtain the file from here:

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/passion/signed-passion-ERE27-from-ERD79.a487b405.zip -Thanks Fabolous

OR

signed-passion-ERE27-from-ERD79.a487b405.zip - Thanks DEMO_BURN

ONLY IF YOU ARE ROOTED AND HAVE AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, get the file from here:
http://android.modaco.com/content/g...d-and-unrooted-optional-radio-optional-himem/ - Thanks FLT

-Rename the file to update.zip (in Windows, just rename to update - it is already a zip file)

-Make sure the update.zip file is on the root of your sdcard (not in any folders)

-To reboot into the bootloader, turn off the phone. Then power on while holding down the trackball.

Navigate to the option 'recovery' using the volume up/down keys - Thanks peader

When the Android w/ caution logo pops up, hold down the power button then press volume up (while still holding down power) - Thanks FLT

Select 'apply sdcard:update.zip'

Thanks chief99 for the bootloader specific instructions.

Enjoy!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ

-Does this work on any other phones besides the Nexus One? Absolutely not! Do not do it!

-Will this void my warranty? How do I know it's legit? No, this won't void your warranty. The source above is the exact location that people who legitimately got the OTA update downloaded their update.zip files from. Also, after the update has been applied, it is impossible to distinguish between those that got it OTA or forced it.

-Does this wipe my settings or applications? No, the update only touches your system files and radio. All your apps and settings will be preserved!

-If I force update with this method, will I still receive an OTA update? No, once you've updated, you will not get any further notices to update.

-If I'm in an unofficial country (not launched by Google yet) with an unlocked N1, will I still get the update OTA? I'm not certain yet, but as confirmed by many users, this update will work on your phone. There is no danger is forcing the update, rather than waiting for Google to (maybe) push it out to you.

-Will this method work if I have a rooted N1 with unlocked bootloader? No, you'll have to download a modified version of the update file (link above) that will not break your root access.

-It's 'frozen' at a picture of an Android, and arrow, and a box. Is my phone bricked?! No, you're okay. Just be patient as the update is doing it's thing.

it doesn't work! it says E: signature verification failed.

help!

Upvote 0
Thanks so much, worked like a charm!

I think someone should post screenshots tho, I would if i could, but I've already done it and the idea just occurred to me.

It seems to take a lot longer to boot up, am i the only one having this "issue"?

App store worked perfectly, home screen mods and icons all stayed in place, game settings even stayed!

Checked Firmware Version, shows 2.1-update 1. Yay!

Pinch to zoom works in browser and maps, check.
Google Goggles, which never worked before, now magically works! YAY!

Thanks guys, keep up the great work!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones