• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to load Zefie's custom kernels (for Dummies)

yeah, im definitely considering using the flash recovery 2.0 thing is- are the different ways just different options to get the same results? or are they specific to a certain attribute? I havent read much on the differences... just how each rooting method is different itself.

@ martonic - im not sure, but im almost positive that my original Moment came with 1.6

also- so what you guys are saying.. is that with how my new one is setup currently, Im good to just go and try one of the Flash/update utilities with out having to do an update/downgrade before?

:) thanks

Upvote 0
different methods to do the same thing... imho, it's stupid how easy it is to actually get load a custom kernel with the flash tool from sprint... I had upgraded to cl14 until I decided to load a custom rom... didn't downgrade to cj05 or anything... I almost feel like an idiot for not upgrading sooner for the battery life alone (going from about 10 hours a charge with moderate use to upwards of 16+ since I plug it in every night)...

Joey

Reactions: dib.1138
Upvote 0
ok... Im now having the "age old" problem of my pc (Win XP, SP2) not letting the sprint updater see the phone. it works just fine when i plug in the USB cable in normal mode, but when I have SWupgrade running, i get the "device cannot start error" in device manager. I have Samsung PC Studio 7 installed, and not running, as well as NOT having Firefox open. I even disabled my gmail notifier. tried several combinations of rebooting the PC, and having the phone in "download" mode, including changing USB ports. (I have 8, some regular, some high-speed).

i read over several threads stating this same problem... it seems that the solutions worked, for the problem at hand, which have since been passed up in either updater-versions, or method of updating. Some of the links for Samsung drivers are broken, FYI- they may be for out-dated drivers.

Upvote 0
Okay here are the drivers Samsung Moment | Random Tech Info I have XP and the second set works for me

I think your issue is with New PC Studio being installed and resulting in driver conflicts

Just uninstall ANYTHING that says Samsung in it. Than reinstall Sprint Uploader(you should have it saved as a zip file or re D/L it should also install the drivers that you need

Upvote 0
Okay here are the drivers Samsung Moment | Random Tech Info I have XP and the second set works for me

I think your issue is with New PC Studio being installed and resulting in driver conflicts

Just uninstall ANYTHING that says Samsung in it. Than reinstall Sprint Uploader(you should have it saved as a zip file or re D/L it should also install the drivers that you need

this is exactly what worked for me...

Joey

Upvote 0
Hi all, this is my first real post/tech question here. I joined right after I got my Moment about a month ago. When I got it, it came with Android 1.6, and the CL14 update. About a week ago my phone decided to brick itself (not sure what happened, not even the Sprint Tech's could figure it out.) They replaced it (no-charge) with a brand new one. Thing is... this new one has 1.5, and cj05 on it, even thought they told me that this new one will have all the new updates, etc. already done.

My question is... where do I go from here? I either want to do the sprint update, or root it the best way possible so I can get the performance and speed back that I enjoyed when I got the first one. As it is now.. everything lags, dialing sucks, multiple sms causes the phone to lock, and multiple apps running sometimes causes the phone to restart. I want my sleek smooth droid back! lol

I am very tech minded, and have been reading up on rooting, and the different ways to do so. Which direction would you point a new guy like me, and why?

your phone never came with 1.6. it came with 1.5 with cl14.

right now the best way (imo) to root your phone is to install joeykrim's or speedrabbit's kernel. both kernels will speed up the responsiveness of your phone significantly, and speedrabbit's kernel includes wifi tether support. they both can found on sdx-developers.com, and the community is growing a lot now that the moment is starting to get a little more attention.

Upvote 0
I have Samsung PC Studio 7 installed, and not running, as well as NOT having Firefox open.

Agreed as the other use has suggested. Uninstall ANY previous Samsung drivers BEFORE installing the SWUpgrade tool (It will probably be easier to just install ANY Samsung item coming up in the Add/Remove Programs). Then reinstall the upgrade tool and start over... (don't forget to reboot once you've uninstalled BEFORE reinstalling the upgrade tool!)

Upvote 0
sweet! gave thanks all around! i was able to update meh phone!!! it took two tries (no- not the two it takes appearantly for the sprint update to work) the first, half-way through the update process, the USB decided that there was a problem with my device, and gave me a "device malfunction error 10" code. i restarted everything, and changed out USB cables... I think my old cable has a loose connection! (a job for the ol' multimeter, when im done playing mad-scientist with the phone!

now...*rubs hands together*... to see how bad I can break my toy.. lol after doing some more reading, i decided that im going to try the "joey's" 1.9.5 first... seems straight-forward enough, and does what I want it to do.

thanks again for the help, and patience!

Upvote 0
yay... update to the update! i now have joey's 1.9.5, and max's recovery 2.0 on and running. Smooth and responsive.. and really fast bootup! i am happy! now... how to get rid of the crap i dont want on the phone... *waves bye to Moxier mail*

many thanks!

don't forget to download protectsu-0.2.zip and flash it using recovery 2.0

this allows you to use apps such as connectbot (adb shell from your phone), root explorer, and Titanium Backup... with protectsu-0.2, it gives you root access through your phone... makes getting rid of stock apps a breeze! :D

Joey

Upvote 0
--You have now downloaded everything that you will need in order to proceed with installation--

14. Click Start – the process should only take a minute or two to run. If it gets stuck and doesn’t do anything, disconnect USB cable, pull battery on phone, and restart in Download Mode again. Reconnect USB cable. Try hitting Start in Odin again. It should take the second time.

Best of luck to you. Again, I – nor any other person – is responsible for your phone.

If I get enough requests, I may put together a similar guide for loading the Android SDK, specifically the ADB so you can adb shell into the phone to delete the stock apps.

The program ODIN's stopped working, windows closed it... I tried it the third time and would not let me...What am I doing wrong? I think I already have USB drivers for my moment...(I've had them for a while):(

PLEASE HELP!!:eek:

I TRIED NOW TO RESTART MY PHONE AND IT WILL NOT RESTART!

PLEASE HELP!!:eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones