• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To] Overclock your Droid X

Fabolous

Superuser
Nov 7, 2009
Illinois
fabdroid.com
Well, it's here, in very basic form. Credit to Elkay at Droid Forums for modding the Milestone overclock module to run on the DX.

The post is here:

Droid X successfully overclocked - Page 6 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

The file is attached to the bottom of his post, and I will attach it here as well.

unzip the files and put them both on your sdcard, then run the following in adb or terminal emulator:

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/overclock.ko /system/lib/modules/
cp /sdcard/overclock.sh /system/bin/
chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
chmod 755 /system/bin/overclock.sh
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

That sets up everything you need to overclock. To use overclock, you just run the command:

overclock.sh frequency voltage

with 1000000 being the default freq and 66 being the default voltage

It is highly recommended to not go over 96 for the voltage parameter!

so an example:

Code:
su
overclock.sh 1100000 66

results in attempting to overclock to 1.1GHz on stock voltage (this is stable for me).

The mod is wiped clean after every reboot, so it will need to be run again. If you want to wipe it while the phone is running, to say, try another frequency, you can do the following:

Code:
su
busybox rmmod overclock

and proceed to overclock with different parameters.

Screenshots
dxoverclock.png
stable1-1ghz.png

linpack1-1.png

Attachments

• overclock.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 666
Here is my setscaling.sh file that'll use low voltages across the board and is stable for me. Also uses 1.15ghz @ 34 vsel (stock is 66!) and swaps the 800mhz clock for 900mhz since that is more logical.

Drop it in /system/bin, chmod to 755. To load the kernel module do "insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko" first, then execute the below setscaling.sh script.

echo 34 > /proc/overclock/max_vsel
echo 1150000 > /proc/overclock/max_rate
echo 1 300000000 22 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 600000000 26 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 3 900000000 30 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 4 1150000000 34 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 0 1150000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 1 900000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 2 600000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table
echo 3 300000 > /proc/overclock/freq_table

Upvote 0
Here is my setscaling.sh file that'll use low voltages across the board and is stable for me. Also uses 1.15ghz @ 34 vsel (stock is 66!) and swaps the 800mhz clock for 900mhz since that is more logical.

Drop it in /system/bin, chmod to 755. To load the kernel module do "insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko" first, then execute the below setscaling.sh script.

Thats seriously stable? Awesome

Upvote 0

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work. I can overclock using commands like:

su
overclock.sh 1150000 36

but I can't seem to get your setscaling file going. I copied it to /system/bin, chmod 755'd it, I think. (I changed permissions with Root Explorer so that User has R/W/E, Group has R/E, and Other has R/E). Next, I run:

su
insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko

and it gets me back to #

then I try to run:

setscaling.sh

and I get:

setscaling.shUX
: not found

:not found
setscaling.sh: 6: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

I'm uncertain what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Fixed. Instead of unzipping setscaling.sh.zip, I'd just renamed it to setscaling.sh. Worked now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
For some strange reason, my Droid just slows down to a crawl if I set the OC higher than 1.1ghz, regardless of the voltage, though admittedly, the highest I tried was 75 for 1.2GHz.

But I modified Hilbe's setscaling script to do 1.1 at 34 and everything has been stable so far (cross my fingers).

Got a pretty nice Quadrant bench too, and it survived an Asphalt HD gaming session.

CAP201008090828.jpg

Upvote 0
For some strange reason, my Droid just slows down to a crawl if I set the OC higher than 1.1ghz, regardless of the voltage, though admittedly, the highest I tried was 75 for 1.2GHz.

But I modified Hilbe's setscaling script to do 1.1 at 34 and everything has been stable so far (cross my fingers).

Got a pretty nice Quadrant bench too, and it survived an Asphalt HD gaming session.

CAP201008090828.jpg

We noticed on the other forums, if you set your speed/voltage too high it'll go into a safe mode (turtle speed) of sorts. Basically making the phone so slow it is unusable. I was getting 0.5 linpacks when in turtle mode!

I tested my phone in 10mhz increments all the way up to 1.2 ghz, and the highest I could get non-turtle was 1160mhz. However, I did get reboots at 1160mhz though and did not have any reboots at 1150mhz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones