• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Root Nexus One on 2.3.4

Ok, I found and downloaded adbwinapi.dll from the intertoobs and put one each of it in my fasboot folder and sdk/tools folders. Now I can get a little farther, when typing in "fastboot-windows oem unlock" it returns "waiting for device". What am I supposed to do at that point? Is it a waiting game or should it quickly popup the warning on my phone?

You must put your phone into fastboot mode by turning it off, then hold down the track ball and press the power button. I don't know if it makes a difference if the phone is plugged in to the USB cable prior to entering fastboot mode or if yu plug it in after. I don't think it does.

Before you type the unlock command, type "fastboot devices" and make sure the phone is recognized by your PC.

Upvote 0
I had it in fastboot mode and tried plugging it in before and after with the same result of waiting for device. Fastboot -s devices also just returns waiting for device, I let it sit at that for around 10minutes. Ivevgot the adpwinapi issue fixed, and all the drivers installed. Would you happen to have aim?

Unfortunately, I haven't used aim for year and even if I could remember my credentials, i doubt the account is still active. I do have yahoo messenger and Windows Live accounts.

If you hang up on waiting for device, it means the device is not recognized. Try removing the drivers and reinstalling them.

Try using these drivers.

Upvote 0
How do I go about rooting the phone after getting the bootloader unlocked? Is this necessary for flashing a custom ROM? Will I have the full potential of the phone with no root and a custom ROM?
>>>>>
Did some reading(like I should have before) and ran the install superboot.bat or whatever, command prompt said Okay on it all, and now its stuck at the logo screen before it starts the animation.
Did I b0rk it or is there some simple step I managed to skip?

Upvote 0
Just when I thought it was all done and running I went and broke it.
I tried installing the google apps zip from the CM wiki to get the market and now its stuck in a crazy boot loop. It does the Cyangen splash and then goes to the base Android first screen where it says to touch the Android to begin and then goes back to the Cyanogen splash.
I wiped the data and cache again, reinstalled CM zip from sd and its doing the same thing still.

Upvote 0
Just when I thought it was all done and running I went and broke it.
I tried installing the google apps zip from the CM wiki to get the market and now its stuck in a crazy boot loop. It does the Cyangen splash and then goes to the base Android first screen where it says to touch the Android to begin and then goes back to the Cyanogen splash.
I wiped the data and cache again, reinstalled CM zip from sd and its doing the same thing still.

Have you tried Ironass's suggestion in this thread o wiping everything, including formatting the SD card?

http://androidforums.com/nexus-all-...nmod-7-gingerbread-now-release-candidate.html

I never had to do that, but I may have just been lucky.

Upvote 0
I ended up getting it to work after deciding to just try an older version of CM and when it booted into CM6 I just went back and installed CM7 again and all is good in the hood now.
Is there another way to get the gapps on my phone other than flashing since that's how I b0rked it last night? Like would one of you rooted guys be able to send me the market apk? All my other backed up apps installed and work fine except market :(

Upvote 0
I ended up getting it to work after deciding to just try an older version of CM and when it booted into CM6 I just went back and installed CM7 again and all is good in the hood now.
Is there another way to get the gapps on my phone other than flashing since that's how I b0rked it last night? Like would one of you rooted guys be able to send me the market apk? All my other backed up apps installed and work fine except market :(

Did you use the correct version of Gapps for the Nexus One and CM7? I would not restore the apps from backup, particularly the Market. Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

Upvote 0
Totally worth it, still feels like Android but with more options and things to customize than you can shake a stick at. I like to tinker and having my phone rooted allows just that.
My battery life is considerably longer and can be made more so, which is one of only complaints I had about the N1. Seeing as I came from a bberry curve I was used to charging my phone once or twice a week.

Upvote 0
How do I go about rooting the phone after getting the bootloader unlocked? Is this necessary for flashing a custom ROM? Will I have the full potential of the phone with no root and a custom ROM?
>>>>>
Did some reading(like I should have before) and ran the install superboot.bat or whatever, command prompt said Okay on it all, and now its stuck at the logo screen before it starts the animation.
Did I b0rk it or is there some simple step I managed to skip?
N1nja, I'm stuck at exactly the same place - I got the bootloader unlocked but after I tried to root my phone I'm stuck at the logo screen with the unlocked padlock. I am freaking out I bricked my phone and I am not sure what to do next?

Upvote 0
N1nja, I'm stuck at exactly the same place - I got the bootloader unlocked but after I tried to root my phone I'm stuck at the logo screen with the unlocked padlock. I am freaking out I bricked my phone and I am not sure what to do next?

I eventually proceeded with installing the CGM7 which made my phone working again. I suspect the recovery I tried initially had old versions of some of the files which created the problem in the first place. Lesson learned...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones