• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to stop turn ON notification requests?

Right. But it's not generally the case with Android 13: as I say, I used it for a year before getting 14 a few weeks ago, and never had this issue. And if Android 13 generally did this we'd have seen others complain about it, which we have not: Android 13 is more than a year old and this is the first time I've seen this problem reported. To me that says there's something unusual about your setup, in which case we'll need to figure out what in order to fix it.

You've said they are 3 different phones, which I take to mean different models. Are they all from the same manufacturer? And you said nothing about the apps. If you give as complete information as you can maybe someone will be able to work out what's different here. If you only give minimal answers then we won't have anything to go on, and people will give up asking. I can't promise we will find a solution in any case, but without information I can promise we won't.

Upvote 0
OP is likely getting a permission request to access notifications, which usually only happens on first launch. But I have found that if you don't allow whatever permission it asks for on first launch, it tends to ask again the next time and so on.

You can give it that permission, and still disable Notifications in settings, and it will work fine. The prompt will usually say something like '[app name] wants to send you notifications, [allow][deny]'

Upvote 0
Except that for permissions I find that if I deny a permission that is the end of it (and I do deny a lot of permissions). The only exception is if the app won't run without the permission, in which case it will generally refuse to start unless I grant it (which usually results in my deleting the app). I've never had an app work but then ask for the permission again the next time I open it. And I've never met an app where denying the notification permission is a problem.

Upvote 0
Each time I get a permissions request, and disable one or more, it asks about them again on further launches, although sometimes you get a 'don't ask again' option as well.

An app will usually run if you deny the notification request on first launch, but will nag about it each time you open it. It's treated a bit differently than simply turning notifications OFF in settings--Apps--App name.

A more modern issue I deal with is 'this app has been closed because it has a bug [ok][clear cache]'. I find that happens a lot on One UI after Android 13, and so far my only workaround has been to either live without the app in question or disable battery optimization in settings. This is very different from '[app name] has stopped/keeps stopping'

There are so many things that modern Android does that it makes my head spin and long for the simple days of Android 2.3. Today, we get pop-ups (screen overlays), toasts (little bar at the bottom that merely annoys me) bubble notifications (similar to iOS) and icons that clutter the status bar (a problem with Android as a whole, since the beginning, never have liked it).

For example, a way to fully turn off OTA updates is by disabling the screen overlay permission to Software Update and FOTA Updates and anything with the word 'update'. That has completely disabled my phone's ability to interrupt my flow by deciding at the most inopportune time to say 'hey! a new update is available!' hoping you hit the wrong button.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones