• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to use Google Voice to text without phone service?!

KoolKid193

Lurker
Mar 13, 2013
I have an galaxy nexus that doens't have Verizon service, but I would like to use it to text with the Google Voice app for SMS, but upon configuring the Google Voice app, it prompts me to select the number of "this phone", which has no number or service. I hit "add this phone" anyway, since it's my only option, and it tries and fails to verify the number, and I'm stuck. All I want to do is use the app for SMS. I don't want to download any other app and Talkatone is not the best app to replace it.

Also if it has to be rooted, no worries. I was going to root my phone this week so it wouldn't matter if I had to root

I have an galaxy nexus that doens't have Verizon service, but I would like to use it to text with the Google Voice app for SMS, but upon configuring the Google Voice app, it prompts me to select the number of "this phone", which has no number or service. I hit "add this phone" anyway, since it's my only option, and it tries and fails to verify the number, and I'm stuck. All I want to do is use the app for SMS. I don't want to download any other app and Talkatone is not the best app to replace it.

Also if it has to be rooted, no worries. I was going to root my phone this week so it wouldn't matter if I had to root

I would say you are SOL. I think the GVoice app has to verify the devices phone service / number in order to route calls / texts. Even though you have no desire to use it that way, it sounds like its setup to operate that way.

Two thoughts though...

1. Have you tried entering like a friend or family member's phone # just to see if it will let you activate it? I don't remember if you have to answer a call or read a text to get an activation code or something like that. But maybe that will allow you to get it activated. Worth a shot.

2. What about a prepaid service that uses Verizon's network.... if you were able to activate your phone on their service, buy the smallest amount of prepaid use possible just to activate GVoice and then you are set.

Upvote 0
yay me! i figured out a solution while drunk! Here it goes...

1. Sign in to the account on a phone with service and configure.
2. Back up with Titanium Backup.
3. Move backup files to the phone without service.
4. Restore with Titanium Backup.
5. Crack a beer and enjoy.

Not done yet tho...

This requires a phone with service, so if that phone also has a Google voice account associated with the same number, but different Google account, then you have a few more steps. All that follow are to be done on phone with service.

1. Delete Google Voice data.
2. Delete the account that will be associated with phone without service.
3. Re-verify Google account associated with phone with service.
4. It may take a couple times to Re-verify, after that the account of the phone without service will be associated with NO number and will still be able to receive text communications on Wi-Fi

Hope it works for you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones