• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how would i downgrade froyo 2.2 to stock 2.1

wolfdogg

May 12, 2011
i rooted my eris, and am about to install kaosfroyo-v39.zip and before i upgrade and test the waters i would like to know how to get back into the stock op sys for whatever reason should i find the need.

is there a good instruction set out there for reverting back to factory?

i found this Downgrade from Official 2.2 Froyo to Stock 2.1 and its linked file signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip but i think that file is for a motorola.

i rooted my eris, and am about to install kaosfroyo-v39.zip and before i upgrade and test the waters i would like to know how to get back into the stock op sys for whatever reason should i find the need.

i found this Downgrade from Official 2.2 Froyo to Stock 2.1 and its linked file signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip but i think that file is for a motorola.

When you rooted you should have made a nand backup of your stock rom. You can always go back to that but you would still be rooted. IMO http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/318705-condemned-cm7.html is one of the best roms out there for the Eris and the Dev is very active in here and keeps his rom updated. You can unroot and go back to stock but I can't find the link but Doogald or one of the other fellas can link it for you.

Reactions: sarwiz
Upvote 0

Gah! Do not install KaosFroyo!!!

You can just download and flash Flashback21, which will bring you back to stock, unrooted.

The same way as installing a custom ROM other than Kaos Froyo - start up Recovery, Nandroid backup, wipe data/factory reset, wipe Dalvik cache, flash the ROM file.

See [ROM][03/06/2011]FlashBack21 v2 -Return to Factory Stock - March 2011 OTA - xda-developers

The one without the radio is just fine.

When you rooted you should have made a nand backup of your stock rom. You can always go back to that but you would still be rooted. IMO http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/318705-condemned-cm7.html is one of the best roms out there for the Eris and the Dev is very active in here and keeps his rom updated. You can unroot and go back to stock but I can't find the link but Doogald or one of the other fellas can link it for you.

I agree - if you are thinking about Kaos Froyo, install CondemnedSoul's CM7 ROM instead. It's far better.

Upvote 0
IMO http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/318705-condemned-cm7.html is one of the best roms out there for the Eris and the Dev is very active in here and keeps his rom updated.

I had in mind to try froyo just because i have been hearing about it, and skirting around the upgrade for a year now. Is gingerbread and cm7 a kockoff of froyo, or something else?

Im now considering [ROM][9/27/2011] GSB v4.0 | ODEX'D | CyanogenMod7.1.0 RC1 [2.3.5 GingerBread] now that i realize theres more out there. i heard some good things about it too. Is that mod debugged mostly fully? note, this will be my first rom upgrade, so im a bit concerned about a rom that is rather straight forward so i dont brick it. :) dont you just miss those feelings>? not!

doogald said:
start un Recovery, Nandroid backup, wipe data/factory reset, wipe Dalvik cache, flash the ROM file.
what is "un Recovery"? im just not familiar with that term. is that just the whole process, or is that somethign specific. man that sounds soo noob doesnt it.

i did a nand backup, i saw an option for nand backup, and another for nand backup + ext. not sure what the .ext is, but i chose that one just incase.

Upvote 0
I had in mind to try froyo just because i have been hearing about it, and skirting around the upgrade for a year now. Is gingerbread and cm7 a kockoff of froyo, or something else?

Im now considering [ROM][9/27/2011] GSB v4.0 | ODEX'D | CyanogenMod7.1.0 RC1 [2.3.5 GingerBread] now that i realize theres more out there. i heard some good things about it too. Is that mod debugged mostly fully? note, this will be my first rom upgrade, so im a bit concerned about a rom that is rather straight forward so i dont brick it. :) dont you just miss those feelings>? not!

When I first rooted I became a flashaholic. I flashed so many roms. Some good some bad. Before makeing a choice read the post's for that rom to see the problems it has. If you want a rom that has little to no problems with it that'd be condemned's rom. I also seen on google + that he has sense 3.5 on it.

Upvote 0
when i run the nand backup im getting this;
Error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!
not sure whats happening but when i run it a 2nd time, i get a 'backup complete'

im going to blow up this phone right now with ccm7 so if i dont return ill be in the nether world. my phone is my only internet source.

Upvote 0
hmm, battery low? sort of, it wont fully charge since last night, after i rooted then ran a hotspot which stated after a half hour of use that the battery cant keep up with the current charging it. that was the first time i saw that. i always knew the battery was low/bad. it will hold a charge for several hours though. i regularly use it plugged in via usb tether so i dont normally have to worry about it.

note, on the 2nd run the nandroid backup states 'complete' and when i compare the first to the 2nd file sizes they are byte for byte the same size, except that the 2nd run contains a md5 file on top of that. so i assume its running successfully.

i rooted with erisone010.apk and rootme.zip

EDIT; ok maybe some saving grace for my patience , i have to go to work, so i appreciate any replies and comments, for the next time i come back here ill have a red hot finger ready to burn this baby! hehe. so ill be back tonight, its noon now. fire away at the comments....

Upvote 0

Froyo is Android version 2.2, while Gingerbread is version 2.3. So, it's an upgrade to Android. (By the way, CM stands for CyanogenMod, a group of developers who take the open source Android and develop a version for multiple phones; CM7 is their Gingerbread version, CM6 was their Froyo version, CM5 was their Eclair (Android 2.0/2.1) version. You can read more about CyanogenMod here, if you wish: CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Gingerbread )

I'm now considering [ROM][9/27/2011] GSB v4.0 | ODEX'D | CyanogenMod7.1.0 RC1 [2.3.5 GingerBread] now that i realize theres more out there. i heard some good things about it too. Is that mod debugged mostly fully? note, this will be my first rom upgrade, so im a bit concerned about a rom that is rather straight forward so i dont brick it. :) dont you just miss those feelings>? not!

That ROM is more debugged than KaosFroyo, actually. It's quite excellent and I think you'll be fine with it, unless you really like the HTC Sense launcher.

what is "un Recovery"? im just not familiar with that term. is that just the whole process, or is that somethign specific. man that sounds soo noob doesnt it.

That was a typo for "start up Recovery". Sorry about that.

i did a nand backup, i saw an option for nand backup, and another for nand backup + ext. not sure what the .ext is, but i chose that one just incase.

It's unnecessary but harmless. Ext is a type of file system which can be used by the Linux OS kernel of Android. With some Android 2.1 ROMs, you could create a second, small partition on your SD card using the ext3 file system (SD cards use the FAT32 file system used by Microsoft OSes) to store third party applications on the SD card rather than in the phone's internal storage. You have to go through a series of steps to create this ext partition, and I imagine that you have - nor would I suggest it, at this point. It's no longer necessary.

However, if you run Nandroid+ext and there is no ext partition, it won't fail or create an error, so you're all set.

Upvote 0
(By the way, CM stands for CyanogenMod, a group of developers who take the open source Android and develop a version for multiple phones; CM7 is their Gingerbread version,
sounds fun, ill keep up with the dev process and give it a whirl.
That ROM is more debugged than KaosFroyo, actually. It's quite excellent and I think you'll be fine with it, unless you really like the HTC Sense launcher.
Yeah, i was starting to gather that, so ill just try this one(Gingerbread 2.3) first, ooh, i know that hurts for KaosFroyo. ;)
Ext is a type of file system which can be used by the Linux OS kernel of Android.
It's no longer necessary.
ahh, i knew it sounded close to linux, and i also saw the roms kernel used 'desirec' for its kernel right? i noticed that right off the bat. and i saw some command lines and linux references in these boards. i might be able to get my head into the source nicely depending on how obscure it is. I actually have my SD formatted as fat. is that good recommendation? i like to access from my win 7 machine until i get the sd card reader onto my arch box and usb hub auto loading.

Upvote 0
I actually have my SD formatted as fat. is that good recommendation? i like to access from my win 7 machine until i get the sd card reader onto my arch box and usb hub auto loading.

Yes, keep it FAT. All SD cards are shipped that way, all Android phones expect the SD card to be formatted that way, and, no matter which computer host you connect to, the host OS will be able to mount the SD card with no trouble.

Upvote 0
it runs smooth now. i put on CM7. its a good thing i also had KaosFroyo and Flashback21 on the sd when i did it because at first when i went to put on CM7, i got an error something like monitor.apk, so i tried kaos froyo, took a look at it, then i recopied on cm7, and tried it again, it worked. since its my only way onto the internet, it would have been alot worse if i didnt have flashback21 on standby and didnt have the others as backup, i wouldnt have been able to download a new copy.

So a lesson for the wise, err. or unwise, have a backup or two if your going to flash your rom.

the phone works great, its responsive, and i put back on pdanet right away. for a while there i didnt have 3G, i just had 1x rev o is it? i forgot. but i found the setting that i toggled accidentally to cause this, its in the network selections. so now im back online.

i saw a new feature in there usb tethering, does this enable the network adapter to be seen as such from the pc when this is toggled on? ill make another post about this, because i have some more questions about that connection.

well my phone looks tight now! thanks for the help guys, and thanks for the cool builds all you dev heads out there.

Upvote 0
i saw a new feature in there usb tethering, does this enable the network adapter to be seen as such from the pc when this is toggled on? ill make another post about this, because i have some more questions about that connection.

I've never use usb tether, but WiFi tether works great. I've only used it once - I was out and about and forgot to download some stuff to my iPod Touch, and it worked great.

Upvote 0
Totally loving this thread, i , too am a flashaholic and am trying out many. Ccm7 is great, but started glitching and restarting after I tried to bluetooth tether it to a Xoom. as soon as it connected, the phone would restart. That may be an issue with my eris though. Have gsb4.0 on it now, but installed the adw. off the market to get more screens, 3 was not enough. Really grateful for the flashback links.
sent from an asus eee netbook easytethered (pro) to an eris (verison) GSB4.0mod

Upvote 0
Totally loving this thread, i , too am a flashaholic and am trying out many. Ccm7 is great, but started glitching and restarting after I tried to bluetooth tether it to a Xoom. as soon as it connected, the phone would restart. That may be an issue with my eris though. Have gsb4.0 on it now, but installed the adw. off the market to get more screens, 3 was not enough. Really grateful for the flashback links.
sent from an asus eee netbook easytethered (pro) to an eris (verison) GSB4.0mod

FYI you can add screens in launcherPro as well. Menu>preferences>homescreen settings>number of screens. You can select up to 7.

Upvote 0
(SD cards use the FAT32 file system used by Microsoft OSes) to store third party applications on the SD card rather than in the phone's internal storage.

Are we sure that they use FAT32 and not FAT16? I cant recall. I believe when i formatted this card the last time mentioned i formatted it as FAT, which is "FAT16" and not FAT32. I do believe that FAT16 is compatible with MAC also, and possibly natively read from most Linux builds as well? Or can MAC read FAT32 also, if so then i just got mixed up and would have formatted it as FAT32. but memory doesnt recall :-|.

I dont have a mac, but i remember my brother having an external drive that he used files to swap back and forth between m$ and mac and had it formatted either FAT16 or FAT32 to do this. For this purpose, as well as other removeable drives one of those is a good universal(multi op-sys accessible) file system, ideally the latter (FAT32) but i cant recall now.

Upvote 0
I'll check later, but I would believe that they would be FAT32, as an 8 GB storage device with FAT16 would have enormously wasteful cluster sizes. And, yes, Mac can read and write to either FAT.

(Ok, actually the largest FAT16 drive can be 4 GB, as there are limits to both the number of clusters (65,532) and the size of clusters (32 MB).)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones