• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire constant data use

Aggrieved user - did you ever find out what caused this?
Im using HTC Desire HD on Three. Have 1GB per month limit.
Since I got my phone 4 months ago, always used less than 500mb/month.
However, since my android version updated to Gingerbread, sudenly I'm averaging 50 mb/day but I'm not doing anything differently.
Can't find anyone else complaining about the sudden jump in usage until I saw your post. I have spoken to 3 who suggested a task killer to stop apps accesssing the internet so much, however this has had little or no impact.
I have tried the Spareparts suggested by others, however it says that Gingerbread ROM does not contain battery stats.
Please help someone, at the moment I am having to turn my mobile internet connection off at the end of the billing period to avoid getting ripped off.

Upvote 0
Aggrieved user - did you ever find out what caused this?
Im using HTC Desire HD on Three. Have 1GB per month limit.
Since I got my phone 4 months ago, always used less than 500mb/month.
However, since my android version updated to Gingerbread, sudenly I'm averaging 50 mb/day but I'm not doing anything differently.
Can't find anyone else complaining about the sudden jump in usage until I saw your post. I have spoken to 3 who suggested a task killer to stop apps accesssing the internet so much, however this has had little or no impact.
I have tried the Spareparts suggested by others, however it says that Gingerbread ROM does not contain battery stats.
Please help someone, at the moment I am having to turn my mobile internet connection off at the end of the billing period to avoid getting ripped off.

Have you tried 3G watchdog?
https://market.android.com/details?id=net.rgruet.android.g3watchdog&hl=en

Upvote 0
I tried most of the above and still had problems. However, what *really* made a difference was when I deleted the stored data from my Twitter account.

To do this, go:

SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > MANAGE APPLICATIONS > TWITTER > CLEAR DATA.

I found that this sorted the problem straight away without turning anything else off, such as My Location etc (though turning this off does save battery). You can do the same thing to Facebook or any other app that stores lots of data.

Upvote 0
as an ex-blackberry user where my average monthly data usage was about 200mb/month, my first bill after i switched to the HTC Desire HD phone was over 1GB and i'm not doing anything different than when i had my blackberry.

perhaps someone can answer a question for me: when i get home, i immediately switch off my data and connect to my wifi at home - this shouldn't use any data, right?

Upvote 0
OK found it. The apps using the network are: '0', 'Android System', 'Dialer' and '1002'. Not very meaningful! Any idea which one of these may be the culprit? What do the red and blue bars signify?

Yes, Something here with my vodafone smart 858. I tried *#*#4636#*#*,
I also got to know the most data using applications are '0' , "Android system' , 'Skype' , 'Dialer' , ' UID 10002'

So Im really confused with this '0' and 'UID 10002' what are these applications?
this damn '0' is eating a hell of data. It is very much higher than the next one.
I cannot see at any other place about this '0' and 'UID 10002'
the other problem is when I try to see what is '0' is, the program is forced to close. it displays "The application settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly.please try again."

So if anyone can explain this please explain...what is this '0' and why is this using a hell of data????

Upvote 0
I'm another one who's just had this problem! I'm on a galaxy ace (Samsung), but it's the same. I know I've got net counter (free) which shows the daily usage. about 2 days ago it flew through the roof.
I have a 500mb monthly limit, I go on FB a few times a day when I have a ***, check twitter for jokes and browse apps store. I usually use 150mb per month. No syncs, no auto checks, I do it all manually.
I did download 2 apps for work, but they're just for putting in work hours and not connected to the net.
In the last 2 days I seemed to have used about 200mb. At the moment I'm turning off the 3g (manually on samsung home screen next to the flight mode) at night to avoid using too much.

I am going to try spare parts, but also got a cache killer (not that I know jack poo about caches, but know they must use power and usage).
I've also got advanced task killer, but I will log out of facebook, clear the cache and then go to advanced task killer to find that it's alive and running. I don't have wifi, GPS or bluetooth on, I use wifi networks for location, but I've always done this for the last 6 months I've had the phone and had no issues.

Please help if you can and I'll post anything I found out, regardless of phone make / model, this seems to be a wide spread problem.

Upvote 0
Hurray! I have managed to sort this out I think! Bare in mind I have a Samsung Galaxy ACE.
I deleted every app (about 6) that I had downloaded in the last week to 10 days (so uninstalled them even if I downloaded it 5 days before the problem.
I noticed (between traffic counter & traffic stats light) that the majority of it came from DRM (I think its that) and the market, rather than the apps. After I cut the apps, I powered down and back up. Hardly went on the net. And watched my usage. I now that 1 page on the net is about 100kb, but I'm on three network in the UK and so can easily check my usage through them. After I started this it still has a day of using about 18mb when I did bugger all, I also turned off my data at night. over the last copule of days (and about 50mb) it's only used 1mb today.
Might not work for all, but worth a try, I'm still going in to three tomorrow and speaking to them about it.

Hope this info can help one person. I also have 3g watchdog app, but it seems to count ALL data including calls, so its not that accurate for 3g, but if anything it will say you've used 50mb when it might be 39mb, but you need the other two counters seem fair accurate.

Good luck folks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones