• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO - What's needed for WiFi?

Hello All!
New Poster so take it easy on me.
I'm waiting for an ordered HTC Evo and will use it primarily for WiFi use and talk/ Text. I plan to use this with my desktop connecting to Evo's hot spot function.

Question:
What will I need to get internet from Evo using a Compaq Presario SR2170NX Desktop? Do I just go to the network area and let it "find" the Evo after stetting it up?

The thread title is confusing.

If you purchase the wireless hotspot feature for $30/mo (assuming you aren't going to root the phone to enable free wireless tethering), the Evo will act like a wifi router for your desktop. But your desktop will need some sort of wireless card or USB wireless adapter like this one to access the wireless connection:

Amazon.com: Medialink - Wireless N USB Adapter - 802.11n - 150Mbps - 2.4ghz - Windows 2000 / XP / Vista 64-Bit /128-Bit Windows 7 Compatible: Electronics

If you have a laptop, it very likely has the wireless adapter built in.

My question is, do you already have internet access that you want to cancel once you get the Evo?

Upvote 0
Then you will need a network adapter for your desktop, but you will no longer need the router or modem since the Evo will act as such.

Before you go ahead with the switch, keep in mind that you won't be able to get on the internet unless the Evo is around and your speed will likely be significantly slower than your existing wired speed unless perhaps you have 4G available. If you download torrents and need constant internet access or you have a spouse or someone at home while you're at work, it's not a great solution. But if you live alone and have a laptop, it's a great way to save some dough.

Upvote 0
Thanks Guys.
I bought the Netgear N150 today. The sales people said I could use this on my desktop and communicate with the HTC Evo for internet access. It should also communicate with my new laptop I ordered and the wireless printer I will buy later.
I'm in line for an Evo that should be in Friday. I'll let you know how this all works out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones