• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero / N97 Insurance

*Warning, the following paragraphs may sound stupid LOL*

Hey guys. I now have a HTC Hero and that has replaced the crappy N97. Now the N97 is fully insured.. and currently has a higher recommended retail price than the HTC Hero.
In the case I misplace / loose my phone they would replace the phone..
Therefore my question is should I tell the insurance company that I have a Hero instead of the N97 or not tell them?

If I tell them I have a Hero then when HTC stop making Hero's I will recieve a new phone that would be in the same price tier as the Hero (at that point in time) if I lose my phone / break it beyond repair.

When Nokia stop making the N97 (Couldn't come sooner) then I would recieve a phone in the same price tier as the Hero (at that point in time) if I loose my phone / break it beyond repair.

What do you guys think will hold its value more.

Hero (White) OR N97 (White) ?

For example:

If I don't tell them I have a new phone and I loose the Hero, I would tell them I have lost my phone and they would send out a New White N97 which I can easily flog for more than the price of a New Hero (at this present moment)..and have some change leftover ..

Thanks.

You may be 'just too sexy,' but please use the word lose in place of loose.

Your killing me Smalls!

That doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, does it?

Mate, i switched from n97 to hero. for me, n97 is the worst phone i have ever used. its a total waste of money with such an ancient OS that has so much bugs even after a few upgrades!! anyway, dont waste ur time on the n97!

If you read the post, you'll find she has already switched from the N97 to the Hero, this is just a question about the phone insurance. Please read before posting

Upvote 0
In my experience, insurance companies don't need much of an excuse to void your policy.

I would be upfront with them and tell them exactly which device you are using at the moment. If they find out by any means, you could end up with nothing - or worse still, an N97!

Not trying to be a killjoy - just being the voice of reason. ;)

Upvote 0
In my experience, insurance companies don't need much of an excuse to void your policy.

I agree with Trick(y), you should be upfront with your insurance company. Not only could you void your insurance but if you were ever found out, it could affect your insurance rating and make it more difficult to get any insurance in the future.

Also, the valuation of the Nokia is dependant on supply and demand. If they start struggling to sell them, the the value of all the phones will go down.

Upvote 0
You may be 'just too sexy,' but please use the word lose in place of loose.

Your killing me Smalls!

Hey yeah sorry. I am using a Dictionary add-on with Firefox and I just right click and select the first thing if I have misspelt something..so I blame the Dictionary but duly noted and changed .. thanks.

Mate, i switched from n97 to hero. for me, n97 is the worst phone i have ever used. its a total waste of money with such an ancient OS that has so much bugs even after a few upgrades!! anyway, dont waste ur time on the n97!

Yep. N97 is the worst phone ever made and has the most bugs ever !
Fixing a bug causes new bugs..WTF!

I would be upfront with them and tell them exactly which device you are using at the moment. If they find out by any means, you could end up with nothing - or worse still, an N97!

True. I hear what you are saying but how can they find out.. if I lose the phone they think I have the N97 and they won't literally go out on the street and try and find it. Also they don't have an IMEI number so even if they wanted to they can't track the phone / be able to find out what handset I had right?
But if it was stolen I would have to file a police report and ask for a crime reference number and then I will have to (may be lol) tell them (police) the truth in case they find it somewhere...

Lol having an N97 as a replacement for the Hero would be hell! That's something I don't want to experience ever again. :)

Upvote 0
True. I hear what you are saying but how can they find out.. if I lose the phone they think I have the N97 and they won't literally go out on the street and try and find it. Also they don't have an IMEI number so even if they wanted to they can't track the phone / be able to find out what handset I had right? But if it was stolen I would have to file a police report and ask for a crime reference number and then I will have to (may be lol) tell them (police) the truth in case they find it somewhere... [/QUOTE said:
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Just don't underestimate the length insurance companies will go to to avoid paying you out.
You've made me feel a bit like your dad! lol ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones