• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero ROM update: Your Opinions

162 apps! Wow, please yell me your secret. I don't have that many and if I install any more it will affect performance.
As for changing the Rom, I would loose sense UI, which is the reason for having a hero. Within a year more people will access the internet from smartphones than a computer. No other smartphone has the apps install in so little memory so why does the best smartphone have this limitation? As most contracts last for two years now days, I don't think it is unrealistic at all. The smartphone war is all about the apps.

You definitely do not loose Sense UI, I only updated to the latest HTC firmware. My phone is not rooted but is not branded nor sim locked.
I did'nt do anything : just checked the apps I wanted and downloaded and installed them OTA via WIFI..
Never noticed any slowdown ever though 4 apps are set to start from start up (voice alerts, speak calling number,battery icon, and instant message) .
That's why I'm in love with this phone.
I also have an old TouchHD (for sale) and an N97 (for work) but the Hero is on a different level , even with a small screen and lack of voice dialing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones