• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Hero Update for AT&T Help

jake112990

Lurker
Oct 27, 2010
I have looked around to update my phone but haven't found anything.

I have an HTC Hero that I use in the U.S. with AT&T.

Firmware version: 1.5
Baseband version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
Kernel version: 2.6.27-mck-technologist-1.92 root@neutrino
Build #: MoDaCo Custom ROM 3.2 Core
Software version: 1.0.0.A6288

I am trying to update to 2.1 or whatever the latest update is.

If anyone could please help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Well your phone is actually rooted and running custom firmware, so that gives you a lot of options as to what to upgrade to.

You can upgrade to a custom 2.1 ROM, which was the last official firmware released for the hero, or try one of the less stable (but quicker) 2.2 ROMs :)

Upvote 0
EDIT: By the way, I've moved this to the All Things Root section since your phone isn't using official firmware.

Well, like I said, 2.2 is a less stable and less straight forward to use, so it's probably not the best choice for someone's first attempt at flashing a custom ROMs.

This is probably the best 2.1 ROM there is, much like Modaco 3.2 was one of the best 1.5 ROMs.

Before installing, you'll want to backup all your data; everything on the phone's internal memory will be wiped. So that's apps, SMS messages, non-google or sim contacts and so on. Titanium Backup, which you may have installed already, is good for backing up apps between ROMs, and SMS Backup & Restore is good for SMS messages.

Once you're backed up, put the Villain12.zip on the root of your sdcard (i.e. not in a folder), along with this file, switch off the phone and do this:

-Boot the phone holding Home + Power. You should see a menu with the words amon ra at the bottom. Your version of amon ra will be pretty old, so that's why I've linked you to the newest version.

- Find the option to flash a .zip from the sdcard. If your version of amon ra is really old you may have to rename files to update.zip before flashing them. Use this to flash the second link I gave you.

- Once that's done you may have to reboot, but then you should be able to launch the latest amon ra by booting with home + power.

- Under the nandroid menu, do a nand backup. Try a nand + ext backup as well, in case the person who rooted your phone used apps2sd.

- Under the wipe menu, do a factory reset, cache wipe and dalvik cache wipe

- Flash the villain12.zip

- Reboot, restore your stuff and enjoy :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones