• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Incredible VS. Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modifying the software to gain access to features which were not intended. Hows that different from installing software on a phone which it was not intended for (Sense UI on Droid X).

I'm sure it can and will be done. Just like rooting, it only takes time.

Rooting doesn't involve the distribution of intellectual owned by others without their permission or paying them. So they are very different.

Upvote 0
My two cents: if I was looking to get a new Verizon phone, and the Incredible and X were both out, I don't know which I'd choose. I'd probably go play with them in a store and decide.

That said, I have an Incredible, and I'm not looking to upgrade every 3 months when a new phone with slightly better specs comes out. The advantages I see of the X aren't killer ones (to me), so I'm not going to shell out another couple hundred bucks to stay on the bleeding edge, just to have to repeat the cycle again in a few months.

As awesome as it would be to always have the newest phone, it's not worth the financial punch I would take ($800+ a year, assuming you stay faithful to a single carrier), nor is it worth the frustration of just finally getting comfortable with your phone before you have to replace it.

I have a hard time understanding anyone who upgrades from the Incredible to the X, not because the specs aren't [slightly] better, but because they couldn't have had the Incredible for more than a few months yet.

I agree with you, but my situation and many others.. are allowing them to upgrade. In my mind, if the opportunity is there, might as well take it. I'll try to get the best phone I can get with my line upgrades and then wait for the next 2 year upgrade. I know what you're talking about though.. if I had to pay full price for an X, then hell no I would not even think about switching to an X as the Incredible is fully capable and I'm satisfied with it. However.. seeing how I have the chance to get the best phone out at the moment due to one of my line upgrades, I'm gonna do it.

This is ofcourse after I actually see the phone in person and see reviews of it. As of right now, I'm still 50/50 on the situation and I'll only really think of changing to X if I can actually get all the phone upgrades to work. Otherwise I'll just be completely happy with my Incredible as well.

Also, this is under the fact that I'll also be coming out on top, moneywise if everything works out. Mainly because I got my Incred for less than $150, can probably sell it on ebay for closer to $400.. and if I get all the rebates/upgrades together correctly.. might even be able to get the X at around $150 (most likely closer to $200 though). If this upgrade cost me any money, I wouldn't do it either.

Upvote 0
After seeing the presser I'm passing on the X. I like the screen size and hdmi out but not enough to let my incredible go.

The evo and now the iphone 4 have set the bar. The x does not fully reach that bar. I will wait until a verizon phone meets or exceeds that bar before considering a move.

Upvote 0
Because if you're modifying the software to take in software it wasn't intended to be used on isn't directly linked to using software you didn't pay for. Now, if you root your phone and use pirated software on it as a result of it.. then yes, it officially becomes the same. However, if you root the phone and use software that is free or software you otherwise paid for but couldn't use on it before.. its different.

Right on, except I should mention that that the software should be free in both senses (free as in beer and free as in speech). Just because they don't charge for it doesn't mean it's not there property.

Upvote 0
if my 30 days wasn't up, I would be all over the Droid X.

I agree ..... however even if I were to switch to the Droid X, I am sure there are going to be some incredible new phones by Fall that will make the Droid X look last gen.... it's a never ending game! And at this point the Droid X does not seem to offer anything significantly better than the Incredible.

Upvote 0
I agree ..... however even if I were to switch to the Droid X, I am sure there are going to be some incredible new phones by Fall that will make the Droid X look last gen.... it's a never ending game! And at this point the Droid X does not seem to offer anything significantly better than the Incredible.

Agreed, if I were to even pay anything additional, I wouldn't even consider it. It only appeals to me right now because I can get a phone with better battery life and still come out on top with some extra dough. The only other reason for me wanting it for the moment is the fact that it seems like its getting overall more attention and support (either externally or from Verizon) vs the Incredible for whatever reason. It's got a bigger hype machine going on and info being released way before the Incred did before its release. So I might as well try to pick what seems to be the best for me while I wait another 2 years for another line upgrade... then the vicious cycle continues (I have 4 lines).

Upvote 0
Well to each his own; but to stay on topic.

The financial punch isn't in upgrading. The only cost you pay is the difference in phone pricing. I paid $99 for the DI, so the price of the DX - $99 is the only financial punch you take.

EDIT: you could always stay 1 step behind bleeding edge and buy the phones cheaper on craigslist after users upgrade every 3 months. A bonus to that is you'll never be stuck in a Verizon Contract.

The real financial punch is the $30/month data fee which some DI users can't get because of an antenna issue. I know I'm not trying to pay $30/month for a lack of data connection. Last I checked Verizon is going to tier the data plans so you'll end up paying double or triple for data usage.

Is sense really the only thing that makes the DI better? If you need sense so you can pinch zoom your home screen it's probably too cluttered.

On a side note, the DX has a larger screen and battery so I would like to see how it pars up with the other phones in the battery realm.

Upvote 0
My opinion on all this DI vs. DX talk is that I truly love the Incredible and have it setup just the way I want after spending the last month tweaking Apps, settings and screen layout!

To be completely honest, I really think the DX will probably be an awesome phone (just like the DI) but to me it looks ridiculously big. While the processor may be newer or even a little better making it seem faster, I fail to see how that should sway me one way or the other especially factoring my usage.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but we are comparing two different 1ghz processors, not a 1ghz vs 512mhz or even a 1ghz vs 768mhz the difference will not be "staggering"!!

I know it is a different, more efficient processor but it simply is not the same as comparing the DI vs Droid or DI vs Eris!! SORRY!!!

Lastly, and this is totally just my opinion, if you want to base your decision on some adaptation of 720p on a phone to actual 720p but more to the point you claim you need it?? I think you need to see a doctor! ;)

Upvote 0
The things I like about the X more than the Inc are:

Bigger Screen
3 Mics
16gb card included
Assumed better battery life

If they came out at the same time I would probably still get the Inc because I really like HTC Sense. A phone cannot do true 720p so that is moot and I have a Flip Ultra to do that anyways (my phone is a phone/data device not a camera/camcorder). I am still happy with my purchase (other than having to reset it every 3-4 weeks but that is because of some of the $hitty apps I downloaded in the past I think.

Upvote 0
Something I just found out, the camera on DX has image stabilization.. that is really good. Engadget must have gotten an early model without it when they did camera tests in their posting earlier this month. That was one of the biggest disappointments for the Incred's camera (which is one of the features I was looking forward to the most), not having image stabilization (don't get me wrong, Incred's camera is still awesome). 720p video, I could care less about as I don't really take too many videos on the phone, but its still nice to have.

The battery life is supposed to be the same as the current Moto Droid.. so if that holds true, its better than Incred.

Upvote 0
The things I like about the X more than the Inc are:

Bigger Screen
3 Mics
16gb card included
Assumed better battery life

If they came out at the same time I would probably still get the Inc because I really like HTC Sense. A phone cannot do true 720p so that is moot and I have a Flip Ultra to do that anyways (my phone is a phone/data device not a camera/camcorder). I am still happy with my purchase (other than having to reset it every 3-4 weeks but that is because of some of the $hitty apps I downloaded in the past I think.

I always find this comment a little weird. You use your phone for a phone and for data, but don't want a phone for camera/camcorder? I know they still have some ways to go before phone cameras are top tier to some but I think they are suitable for most.

Maybe it is just me, but I thought the Incredible was good enough to use as my stand alone camera, this would be the same way.

Upvote 0
The camera on the DX is also a hump, unlike the DI which is skinny and almost flat across the back. I don't use a case on my DI so I like the fact its so skinny and sleek.

DX should have had a front facing camera to compete more with the new Iphone. Speaking of front facing cameras what happened to the Vphone; I think it would have been a nice phone compared to the droid if it had Android 2.1+

I am more excited to see what and when the HTC Scorpion brings to the table.

Upvote 0
The camera on the DX is also a hump, unlike the DI which is skinny and almost flat across the back. I don't use a case on my DI so I like the fact its so skinny and sleek.

DX should have had a front facing camera to compete more with the new Iphone. Speaking of front facing cameras what happened to the Vphone; I think it would have been a nice phone compared to the droid if it had Android 2.1+

The DX is actually thinner than the DI, but definitely the DI with no case is extremely sleek. If I were in the mindset to go as small as possible with sleekness, no case, I'd def stick with Inc.

Personally, I think front facing cameras are an overhyped feature. They're almost always a lower quality camera and require both users to have the right equipment and software for it to even be functional. Maybe its because I don't have kids or grandparents that live far away, which I hear is usually the target audience for this feature.

Upvote 0
I always find this comment a little weird. You use your phone for a phone and for data, but don't want a phone for camera/camcorder? I know they still have some ways to go before phone cameras are top tier to some but I think they are suitable for most.

Maybe it is just me, but I thought the Incredible was good enough to use as my stand alone camera, this would be the same way.

Agree and disagree!
For me at least, my "device" falls into a list of priorities:

1. Phone
2. Data (Email, txt)
3. PDA (organization, trip management, calendar)
4. Entertainment (music, games, vid, web)
5. Camera (nice to have but not necessary)

Of course everyone's needs are different, but for a segment of the population, cameras can be a detriment also...with what I do for a living, camera phones are actually prohibited at some of the locations I go to.

Again, IMO only, a camera on my phone is a total after thought.

Upvote 0
droid-x-nyc-0065.jpg

Upvote 0
The last day of my 30 day return is the 14th... so I have the option to switch basically for free to the Droid X - but I will have to do it without ever seeing the X in person most likely as I would have to take the DInc back on the 14th and then go pick up the X the next day.

What to do? **sigh** I don't want to be that bleeding edge nerd who goes crazy for every phone... but if the battery life is a bit better and it's more than double the memory... that's enough to switch for FREE I think... but I'm so indecisive on this.

The problem is I KNOW I'll be mad at myself if the X is significantly better... and that will make for a couple years of pain. I was reading this thread hoping someone was going to make an impassioned argument that the DInc is actually better than the X. Anyone?

Upvote 0
The problem is I KNOW I'll be mad at myself if the X is significantly better... and that will make for a couple years of pain. I was reading this thread hoping someone was going to make an impassioned argument that the DInc is actually better than the X. Anyone?

I think you are torturing yourself unnecessarily...

You will not get an argument from me of whether or not the Incredible is better, but think about what is better or acceptable to you!

If you are this on the fence about it, what are you gonna do when the phone after the DX arrives? And the phone after that and the phone after that...

Processor (MAYBE "better"), bogus 720p recording and a 16 gig SD card? Really?!?! is that enough to make you switch?

Again, this is no quantum leap like it was from the Eris to the Inc.!!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones