• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC ONE battery discussion (usage, charging, etc.)

I have an issue with my HTC one when I have it connected to my tv via the hdmi adapter. The battery doesn't charge or keep the charge in the battery, it loses charge. Is there anything I can do to change this or is it a common problem ? It's very annoying when you are halfway through a film and your mobile switches off half way through the movie. Any advice would be great thanks :)

I don't believe that HDMI ports are designed to supply the voltage required to charge connected devices. You'll need something like this ...

Amazon.com: eForCity

Upvote 0
Thanks, i will give it a go. The one I bought was off ebay. Just a plain white one hasn't got any logos on it so don't know who made it. It just said it was compatible with my device.

You have to make sure that the adapter included an additional connection for charging. My guess is the one you bought was only the HDMI adapter.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi all,

My HTC one M7 is draining battery very very quickly. I tested once like this: I switched off my mobile data and rechecked my power after one hour. There was no power drain at all, not even one percent. Then I switched on the mobile data (but didn't browse anything) and after one hour, it was down by 6%. I checked which apps were eating up the power in background and came up with the following results in the attached image. Is Android system taking up so much power normal? Would really appreciate any help 😊

Attachments

• 1413650718262.jpg
    1413650718262.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 1413650731222.jpg
    1413650731222.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0
are you rooted? did this drain issue start happening all of a sudden or has it been going on?

was the phone purchased new or is it a refurb? yes this question matters.

install or uninstall any apps prior to this happening?

3rd party launchers, animated screensavers, animated sense screens all contribute to power drain.
No, its not rooted.
This started suddenly about a month ago.
It's a new phone, bought last year around June 2013.

I have also done a complete factory reset, but even then this happens. As in the image, it says "Android system" is taking 53%....is that normal? The other ones are all less. Also, as i said, when the mobile network is off, the drain stops. Is there any way to find out who is eating the battery up through data behind the scenes?

Thanks a lot for replying! :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
ive the one max.

google services and "cell standby" are at 5% and 3% respectively. of course im on wifi at the moment and also use wifi calling, so this probably affects those services.

my biggest drain at the moment is whatsapp (46%) ;-)

you could have some background services from apps causing this drain. could be a rogue app.

there are apps in the store that break down power usage very specifically. one or two of those apps are listed in this thread, so i suggest you search through this thread with the search tool to get specific hits on apps.

its hard to determine over the internet what is going on because each phones environment is different over someone else's. could be any number of things.

try to remember if you removed or added an app prior to this happening. could be a faulty battery. list goes on and on....

Upvote 0
before lollipop battery at 70% by 10pm after disconnect from charger at 7am with heavy text, music play, internet browse, gps, camera and phone use. after lollipop battery at 20% by 10pm. Only change to phone is lollipop and updates requested by other apps that were already present on the phone. reboots no help. adjusting settings no help. anyone else experiencing this or have a solution? Please help. I want my old (before lillipop) HTC One back!!

Upvote 0
If you can tell us what model you have, what carrier and what the upgrade was (previous and current versions) we might be better placed to advise.

Sometimes there are odd effects from over the air updates, especially where they involve major OS version changes. The clean way of doing big updates would be to wipe everything and reinstall, but obviously that would not be popular with the general public. But if you have a problem after an update then backup, reset, restore is always worth a try. And that is not down to the manufacturer, it's just that a major OS update plus old data and caches will not always work cleanly, whoever makes the phone.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
If your version is now 5.02 then you almost definitely upgraded from Android 4.x. The biggest change there was moving from a Dalvik virtual machine to Android Run Time (ART) which was huge and should boost performance. You absolutely should perform a full factory reset. Besides clearing the system settings a full factory reset will also wipe the old Dalvik cache, which is the culprit for your degraded battery performance. If you are rooted with a custom recovery, you could boot into recovery and wipe the Dalvik cache manually, but that might not be enough.

While it's a pain to have to set up your phone from scratch again, you'll be astonished how much better your performance will be with a clean version of Lollipop (5.x).

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones