• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC ONE battery discussion (usage, charging, etc.)

What are you using to charge the phone? The thing that strikes me is that the charge level is often not rising, and sometimes falling, while the images say it's charging, but quite a lot of the time you seem to be using the phone while it is charging as well. That is possible if you are using a weak charger and running something intensive, would be worrying if you were using a standard mains charger and just browsing.

Have you tried just charging it fully after it shuts down, leaving it turned-off until fully charged?

I've never seen anything quite like this. I've had battery miscalibrations where it shuts down around 15-20% with my last device, but never at 70%, and usually charging it right through to 100% after that reset it anyway.

Image 4 is a bit worrying.

Upvote 0
What are you using to charge the phone? The thing that strikes me is that the charge level is often not rising, and sometimes falling, while the images say it's charging, but quite a lot of the time you seem to be using the phone while it is charging as well. That is possible if you are using a weak charger and running something intensive, would be worrying if you were using a standard mains charger and just browsing.

Have you tried just charging it fully after it shuts down, leaving it turned-off until fully charged?

I've never seen anything quite like this. I've had battery miscalibrations where it shuts down around 15-20% with my last device, but never at 70%, and usually charging it right through to 100% after that reset it anyway.

Image 4 is a bit worrying.

I'd say 4/5 of the time the phone is being charged with the HTC provided AC adapter and USB cable. The other 1/5 probably a split between my PC USB port and a cigarette lighter adapter in my car. I'll try using other chargers and cables to see if that's the problem but I doubt it. It is true that the phone is on during the charge a lot of the time but I have my screen timeout to 10 minutes so It's usually just me forgetting to turn the screen off after browsing facebook or something. Oh and something that I should have probably added in the main post. To combat this problem while walking around, I carry a 10400mah battery around with me and have the phone charging from the 2.1A port pretty much constantly. I don't know if this is making the problem worse but in the back of my mind I have a feeling that it very well may be.

I would first try a new charger (preferably an HTC charger) with a new cable. If you are still experiencing a problem I would definitely consider factory resetting the phone and seeing if you experience the same issues.

If you have the same problem unfortunately your battery or charging circuit is defective.

How would you go about a factory reset? Is it more than just wiping all the partitions in the phone?

Upvote 0
If HTC One has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, you can perform a factory reset (also called a hard reset or master reset). A factory reset reverts the phone back to its initial state — the state before you turned on the phone for the first time.
The following will be removed from the phone when you do a factory reset:

Your Google Account
All accounts you've added in Settings > Accounts & sync and the data associated with these accounts
Personal data that you've created or synced to the phone such as your profile, contacts, messages, email, calendar events, and more
System and application data and settings
Downloaded apps
Files such as your music, photos, videos, and documents will also be deleted if you select the Erase all data option.

Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.

Note: A factory reset may not permanently erase all data from your phone, including personal information.

Performing a factory reset from settings

Go to Settings, and then tap Backup & reset.
Tap Reset phone.
If you also want to delete media and other data on HTC One, select Erase all data.
Tap OK.

Performing a factory reset using hardware buttons

If you can’t turn HTC One on or access settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the hardware buttons on HTC One.

Important: The Fast boot option in Settings > Power must not be selected.
Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button.
Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.

Upvote 0
If HTC One has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, you can perform a factory reset (also called a hard reset or master reset). A factory reset reverts the phone back to its initial state — the state before you turned on the phone for the first time.
The following will be removed from the phone when you do a factory reset:

Your Google Account
All accounts you've added in Settings > Accounts & sync and the data associated with these accounts
Personal data that you've created or synced to the phone such as your profile, contacts, messages, email, calendar events, and more
System and application data and settings
Downloaded apps
Files such as your music, photos, videos, and documents will also be deleted if you select the Erase all data option.

Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.

Note: A factory reset may not permanently erase all data from your phone, including personal information.

Performing a factory reset from settings

Go to Settings, and then tap Backup & reset.
Tap Reset phone.
If you also want to delete media and other data on HTC One, select Erase all data.
Tap OK.

Performing a factory reset using hardware buttons

If you can’t turn HTC One on or access settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the hardware buttons on HTC One.

Important: The Fast boot option in Settings > Power must not be selected.
Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button.
Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.

Ok so I did the factory reset and charged the phone and have been using it occasionally letting it discharge for the past hour or two. The battery life graph so far is appearing better than before but I still don't know if it will die and have the battery level plummet like before. It's at 80% now so I'll keep updating if anything changes.

UPDATE: I've performed a factory reset and used the phone as normal while watching battery life. The battery life lasted about an hour and a half, getting down to 80%. Throughout the battery life I was re-installing my apps and one of my restores required a restart. When I restarted my phone, the phone powered on with 60% battery life then died about a minute later.

Upvote 0
That is a physical issue. I would take it into a store despite it being rooted. They should be able to test the device at a repair facility. If it is determined that it was a physical defect you would most likely (cannot promise they will not) not be charged if it is still within the mfg warranty period.

If the store tells you up front they will try to charge you I would contact HTC directly and plead your case with them, I recommend calling (their chat support is terrible). They are nice folks. I have dealt with them directly before.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Have a HTC One and on my 3rd phone charger. The first 2 whenever I connect them to the HTC will not even get a signal or charge the phone. I just bought a new charger a week ago and now that charger is not working and my HTC One won't even get a signal with the charger. The plan now is to take the phone to AT&T. What will happen after I take it to AT&T? Will they find a way to fix the current phone and I will not need a new replacement or will I need a new replacement phone? Will my number, contacts, and everything trasfer from old phone to replacement if I got replacement phone? Currently phone is dead and will not even turn on at all.

Upvote 0
Have a HTC One and on my 3rd phone charger. The first 2 whenever I connect them to the HTC will not even get a signal or charge the phone. I just bought a new charger a week ago and now that charger is not working and my HTC One won't even get a signal with the charger. The plan now is to take the phone to AT&T. What will happen after I take it to AT&T? Will they find a way to fix the current phone and I will not need a new replacement or will I need a new replacement phone? Will my number, contacts, and everything trasfer from old phone to replacement if I got replacement phone? Currently phone is dead and will not even turn on at all.

Can't predict how they'll sort out the phone, depends on what they'll find.

Check your Gmail account on the web, and verify your contacts are there.

Quite a bit, but not all, of your stuff may be available automatically from Google when you activate your phone (new or fixed).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

2 days ago I downloaded the 4.18.401.4 update, since then my battery goes from 100% charge to 0% in 4 hours.

Is there anything I can do? Relatively new to this so even simple things might help. So far I have made sure all apps that are running are stopped, turned brightness down, put phone on no vibrate

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I've had my HTC One M7 for about 2 months and no problems. Now however, it won't charge. The phone is completely drained, and will not respond to the USB. I have tried multiple chargers, including the crappy HTC charger that came with the phone. No Luck. To me it looks like it is a problem with the USB port and not the software.

It had been working fine yesterday and while it was *on* and plugged in, I noticed the battery level kept going down, and it wasn't charging.

The only explanations I have for this is:

-A few days ago I accidentally had the battery completely drain. I then did the "Power Button + Volume Up" technique to fast boot it.

-I Have dropped it twice in dirt and sand. Possibly some of that got into the port? I have looked into the port and it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it...

Anyway, please help me with this problem. I love the HTC One and would like it to charge.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a physical issue with the USB port. If you have tried multiple cables, multiple USB ports and and the battery is not charging, the signs point to a physical issue.

Not much can be done over the Internet. You will need to take it in and have it serviced.

Hopefully you have insurance for the phone.

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have insurance.

Would they be able to just replace the port or would they have to give me a new phone? Also, since the phone itself still works, would they reset all of my stuff? I would like to have all of apps and saves still intact when it is chargeable.

Upvote 0
I don't know the carrier you use, and I don't know what insurance you have. I recommend pulling out your insurance terms and familiarizing yourself with the options your specific insurance offers.

I use sprint for example. The in this case, if they determine the port is physically damaged, they will most likely have me use my insurance through asurion. I pay a deductible and I get a replacement device.

If you can't turn on the phone to get any data off then you are not going to be able to backup the data. This is why it's important to use cloud storage and do routine backups on your own to your personal computer.

If you send it off to htc directly, they may be able to replace the port (if the port is indeed faulty /has failed) and retain your data. It's worth a shot to open up a query directly to htc.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC One M7 and it's been charging really good for about 10 months with the original wall outlet charger I got with my HTC One but lately it suddenly takes an extremely long time to charge. I would be charging it all night long and it would only go up by at least 30%. I know it's not because of the apps running because I turn my phone off while I charge it. Even so I turn on power saver mode before I turn off my phone.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC One M7 and it's been charging really good for about 10 months with the original wall outlet charger I got with my HTC One but lately it suddenly takes an extremely long time to charge. I would be charging it all night long and it would only go up by at least 30%. I know it's not because of the apps running because I turn my phone off while I charge it. Even so I turn on power saver mode before I turn off my phone.

Could be a few different things - but the most likely is a bad cable (intermittent or shorted).

No matter how many times that hits me, I'm still surprised, but it's true - some of these sealed, simple cables last for years on end, and some just don't even if you baby them.

I've never seen an HTC charger go bad, I've got quite a few, but never say never.

If a cable replacement doesn't do the trick, try charging from your pc with the new cable, and phone off.

Your pc will output half or less than your HTC charger, so it won't be a fast charge - but if it's faster than the wall charger right now (and about twice as long as you're used to from before) then your phone is fine, the cable will be new - so that will mean that your charger is bad.

For excellent aftermarket chargers at really good prices, I strongly recommend monoprice.com - they ship to the US, Canada and Europe for sure. Not sure where you are, so just putting that out there.

Hope this helps! :)

PS - to be 100% sure that it's not apps, please go to main settings, Power, and make sure that fastboot is NOT checked.

If it is, then your phone really isn't off when it says it is - and many apps are incompatible with that setting. I leave fastboot off/unchecked all of the time.

And by the way - welcome to the forums! :)

Upvote 0
Hi everyone: I just got a used HTC One with medium-worn status, and really, really liked it. Its brilliant design completely beat Iphone 5s. Also, it has been 5 years since I last switched my cellphone so the experience is amplified :) I had HTC HD 2 (Leo) prior to this.

Said that, I have some concern about battery: I want to know if the battery of my HTC One unit is not that worn-out like its appearance. Is there anyway I can check this? One test I've been using is installing battery management app (like Battery Doctor) then compare the estimated 2g phone calling usage time from the app to the 2G usage time from the manufacturer.

Doing this, I found out that my battery lasted 13h with 2G phone call, compared to 18h as claimed by HTC on a new unit. Do you find that reasonable? I don't really buy this since the app gave me different estimated 2G phone call time after every time fully charged...

Can I have a bit of your opinion? I have till August 15th to return this old phone and buy a new one at a double amount of what I have paid. Thanks in advanced.

Upvote 0
these batteries last about 2 years and after that they start to lose their capacity--just the nature of the chemistry. also, since its used, who knows how the previous owner(s) used and abused it.

there are videos online that show how to swap these batteries, its really not a big deal. so if you feel like you can do that after watching one or two of these, then keep the phone and replace the battery.

otherwise, its up to you if you feel that capacity is within your needs. each person is different.

Reactions: mathmantall
Upvote 0
Hi mathmantall,

I agree with marctronixx, if you're happy with its condition etc, keep it and be prepared to replace the battery if it becomes necessary. Before my One I had a Desire S and because I do a lot of hill/moorland walking use maps and GPS a lot and always carried a spare battery. When I upgraded to the One the first thing I did was to buy the HTC external battery pack which I carry with me whenever I'm away from a charge point - I've never had to use it, but it gives me peace of mind (I've had my One for over 14 months now). There are battery cases available which is another solution.

When using call usage/battery life, don't forget that HTC will quote it under ideal conditions which is almost impossible to achieve with normal every day use.

I guess it's a case of comparing the cost of changing the phone now to the possible cost of replacing the battery/buying a case/buying a battery pack.

Hope this helps.

:)

Upvote 0
I have an issue with my HTC one when I have it connected to my tv via the hdmi adapter. The battery doesn't charge or keep the charge in the battery, it loses charge. Is there anything I can do to change this or is it a common problem ? It's very annoying when you are halfway through a film and your mobile switches off half way through the movie. Any advice would be great thanks :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones